PDA

View Full Version : RIAT departures

MAN777
10th Jul 2012, 22:48
I was present for the departures at RIAT yesterday and couldn't help notice that they were somewhat restrained compared with similar days from the past (I am talking Greenham Common days)

Can anybody enlighten me as to what restrictions are placed on departing aircraft

min height / speed / waving / rolling etc.

SRENNAPS
11th Jul 2012, 15:47
I have been there for the last few years to watch them depart and apart from the occasional wing wave it has always been subdued take offs.

Did you see the wing wave from one of the F16s, about 1000 hrs I think. That was nice:)

Mind you after watching them display for five days and in the knowledge that they possibly had a great time at the final hangar bash on Sunday night, I am always happy to see them all depart safely having given so much pleasure to so many people:D:D:ok::ok:

Bubblewindow
11th Jul 2012, 19:26
If I'm not mistaken, after RIAT 2006, didn't an FJ (possibly a Mirage 2000, I was a wee bit under the WX waiting by our aircraft) break left after lifting, staying low and over the crowd that were gathered for departures?

I know there was some lash back after this and it became a lot more strict. Certainly the next time I was there it was all just straight out departures.

BW

Rhino power
11th Jul 2012, 21:33
Wasn't at RIAT but, the GAF F-4F departure from Waddington after the airshow was anything but subdued, fastest airfield beat-up i've seen for years!

-RP

Flying_Anorak
11th Jul 2012, 21:58
Hi,

As one of the volunteers there I know for a fact that 'non standard departures' are expressly forbidden, likewise arrivals with a minimum height of 800' QFE specified for any run and break. I actually overheard the head of the FCC explain to a visiting USAF 3 star that they have the direct phone number of any visiting aircraft's squadron commander and in the event of an 'enthusiastic' or non standard departure, the boss would know before they got home!

Shame really but then the Tiger F16 was good - must have been an unexpected crosswind gust I guess! :-)

I just wish that the divers of Typhoons and other aircraft would remember that there are photographers past the midway point and they could stay low - the USAF MC130 crew could show them how to do it!

Thanks BTW to all who came and took part.

Tiger_mate
13th Jul 2012, 05:49
Flying Regulations have been reigned in big time with regard to many things and air show arrivals and departures are but one element of this. Non-standard arrivals and departures or impromtu flypasts are forbidden.

Regulatory Articles numerous and many by the MAA refer.

Fitter2
13th Jul 2012, 08:26
I just wish that the divers of Typhoons and other aircraft would remember that there are photographers past the midway point and they could stay low

Yes, where are Jaguars when you need them...:E

andrewn
13th Jul 2012, 21:26
Did nobody else see the Ukrainian Su-27 that rolled after take off last year then?

I admit that what I saw of this years departures was pretty dull but I think the French Rafales made an effort and "Poker formation" was nice and low. You had to be up early to see both of these mind:D