PDA

View Full Version : Errors in new Deniliquin VNC

rattly_spats
10th Jul 2012, 09:17
Hi Folks,

Has anyone else had a good look at the new Deniliquin VNC? Just having a quick peruse and I notice that the aerodrome info for Swan Hill (YSWH) has wrong information for both the CTAF and the NDB frequencies, and that for Corowa (YCOR) has a wrong NDB frequency. I haven't done a "fine-tooth comb" investigation, but this seems incredibly slack on the part of AirServices.

What happens in cases like this? Do they publish an erratum, or offer to exchange wrong versions?

Cheers, Rattly

Edit: and Warrnambool. And, Baswell, it was the OzRunways version I was looking at

baswell
10th Jul 2012, 12:10
On the electronic version we got for OzRunways, the CTAF for Narrendera is also wrong.

alphacentauri
10th Jul 2012, 21:58
It looks like the info bubble for Deniliquin has been copied and pasted at Swan Hill. Even the lat/long is the same. The NDB and lat/long has also been pasted at Corowa, but they thought the change the ctaf frequency......not looking good for the rest of the chart :mad:

alphacentauri
10th Jul 2012, 22:18
For error reporting on vnc (and all published docs) please send an email to [email protected] detailing the error....it will get followed up.

thunderbird five
11th Jul 2012, 02:21
That VNC was circulated (not widely) as a draft for user comment I guess, well over six months ago. I saw one briefly, but couldn't get hold of one myself.:D

VH-XXX
11th Jul 2012, 03:26
This begs the question to be asked... does one (in practice) use the CTAF listed on the VTC or in the ERSA....?

Personally, if it's for a landing, I'd use the ERSA but it I was overflying I might refer to the VTC, but on the other hand, one should be checking the ERSA for any special procedures, gliders etc.

Frank Arouet
11th Jul 2012, 07:07
Which also begs the question, why did CAA ramp check people at Temora last Easter for out of date WAC's. Things like towers, buildings and runway works are supposed to be covered by NOTAMS. Lots of things may change, but mountains don't move. One used to get WAC amendments, but now you have to buy the chart.

Shagpile
11th Jul 2012, 07:25
Asa are aware and are onto it. There's already a couple of notams in the YMMM series. I'd use the ersa entry when visiting those places. But keep a good lookout for people on the wrong freq!

Aimpoint
11th Jul 2012, 07:32
I didn't know WACs went out of date. VTCs etc yes, but when does a WAC expire?

VH-XXX
11th Jul 2012, 08:00
why did CAA ramp check people at Temora last Easter for out of date WAC's.

*Supposedly* nobody was penalised for this at Easter; it was more of an educational ramp check.

jas24zzk
11th Jul 2012, 08:35
I was going to ask the same Q as Aimpoint.

That and the lack of amendments is a crock.

Unlike pilots, I bet no-one gets reamed for releasing a piece of crap which contains that could be vital to the safe conclusion of an operation.!

MUPPETRY!

bentleg
11th Jul 2012, 09:17
when does a WAC expire?

I haven't seen it in print but I assume if it's not the latest edition of WAC, it is out of date/expired.

Latest editions are listed at the AirServices online store here (https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/store/html.asp?/bookweb/catalog.cgi?stype=c&stext=WP)

MakeItHappenCaptain
11th Jul 2012, 09:41
In response to question by Messers Arouet, Aimpoint and Bentleg,

WACs will expire periodically, usually lasting about three years. New charts will be periodically required as although mountains don't move, people do tend to build structures, usually antennas, on the highest of those features in an area, necessitating people who fly planes needing to know about how low they can fly. Info about new ALAs and removed ALAs can also come in useful from time to time, especially if you have an impending mechanical issue, are running out of light/fuel/brains etc...

The following AIC lists the current edition of every WAC and the amendments you should be making by hand to each chart.:ok:

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/aip/current/sup/s11-h74.pdf

ps. Why the fcuk are people not being educated about this stuff at license level or as a art of their AFR's?

Shagpile
11th Jul 2012, 12:29
WAC's are released every 2 years, and each 2 years half of Australia is updated (ie a full refresh every 4 years). There actually isn't a full database of obstacles in Australia.

I did several low level navs this week and spotted many obstacles that aren't on the charts. Mostly mobile towers.