PDA

View Full Version : CPL training in a twin or the more cost effective 182rg??

Mile high club 7
10th Jul 2012, 08:27
hey guys,

Im currently a ppl with just over 100 hours, currently getting through the 7 casa exams before i start the final stage in the syllabus, the cpl flight training. it will be roughly 45-50 hours of cpl training flights then the flight test offcourse.

Im undesicive weather to just go from a 172 to a 182rg and do the rest of my cpl the more cost effective way, or to do it in a twin.

Just wanted anyone's opinion on what would be the better choice and why or if doing it in a twin would pose an imediate benefit in any way when looking for a job with minimum hours.

WannaBeBiggles
10th Jul 2012, 21:16
This should probably go in the D&G forums.

Do it in the 18RG and maybe some of it on a 200 series aircraft, that will give you an advantage when you head out west. Unless of course if you want to just instruct, then having 50 hours multi PIC will mean you can get your META once you move up the ranks.

If you want to head out bush then chances of snagging a multi gig straight out of flight school is next to zero, though it has happened.

Living out west is expensive and you might spend quite some time without a job so save the coin for the start of your career.

Just my two cents.

Jack Ranga
11th Jul 2012, 01:22
I would do it in the King Air Bro :ok:

The Green Goblin
11th Jul 2012, 02:39
Do it the cheapest way possible and save the money for when you are looking for a job.

50 hours multi will cost you an arm and a leg, and you will get paid to fly those fifty hours as a working pilot racking them up in less than a month when you're working.

Unless you want to be an instructor, then it may be worth while.

But you'll be the blind leading the blind with such low experience.

prospector
11th Jul 2012, 04:29
Just a hint from the thread on CV gripes

For all the people out there who find plenty of CV's and resumes dumped in their inbox, or to anyone with an informed opinion - what are the biggest gripes you have had with resumes from low hour pilots

. Im undesicive weather to just go from a 172 to a 182rg

v What you really mean is "indecisive whether",

Spelling, Grammar and Syntax!

Spelling was mentioned in a number of posts, as you can no doubt see, the weather is not relevant to your post.

system.of.a.down
12th Jul 2012, 01:08
What's the 182 worth an hour? About $300?? may as well bash 40hours in a cheap 152 than waste that amount of money and do the last 10 hours in a 210 or something.

If you plan on instructing then yes do it all in a twin, may only cost you an extra $3000 overall for 50 hours twin when compared to a 182 if you get hold of a cheap duchess.

If you haven't got your night rating, factor that in to the dual component of the CPL hours and fly a bulk of that command time needed at night.

MyNameIsIs
12th Jul 2012, 01:24
then the flight test offcourse.

You'll stand a better chance of passing the test if you remain on course :ok:

If you want to go bush, do it in the 182rg or a 200 series. Then do a Baron or 310 endorsement and get a few hours. Chances are you wont be flying a twin for your first job (not impossible though) but may as well save some coin for when you are likely to need it living!

Ixixly
12th Jul 2012, 07:53
My opinion, do some of those remaining hours in a Multi but just to get your Initial Multi, get some 200 series time and maybe a tailwheel endo as well, it'll be more cost effective overall that way. You will eventually need to get an Initial Multi so why not just do it as part of those hours? if you get some 200 series time you'll be a lot more employable. And Tailwheel is just an interesting skill that most will tell you will help with your overall flying skills.

displaced gangster
12th Jul 2012, 12:02
The initial move to be employed in GA is generally the hardest!

Been there! 50hrs in a C210 during CPL training, will be viewed more favourable than 172/182RG experience. Most operators will promote there single drivers on merit to twins/ turbines.

:(

training wheels
12th Jul 2012, 12:26
I had a friend who did it in a PA44. During the flight test, for engine failure drills, it's all asymmetric ops... there was no 'looking for a field to land' like you would do in a single. He later went on to do a flight instructor rating and pretty much had to learn the drill for a single engine again.