PDA

View Full Version : Tiger all over the place

nojwod
10th Jul 2012, 05:56
Saw some strange contrails on the weekend west of Canberra, different to the holding pattern ones we sometimes see. Flightradar info seems to indicate that the aircraft are Tiger. Anyone know why they would be performing 90 degree turns that look like major course corrections to the west of Canberra, or further south, or even down in Victoria as a Flightradar screenshot below shows?

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d89/nojwod/Contrail.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d89/nojwod/TGWTrack.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d89/nojwod/Tiger851.jpg

T28D
10th Jul 2012, 06:01
Maybe they were Lost

Leatherdog
10th Jul 2012, 06:18
It'll be as directed by the second best Air Traffic Control system....in the World!:}:}:ugh:

nitpicker330
10th Jul 2012, 08:49
Don't know BUT I do know they wouldn't have done anything without approval from ATC.

Who cares??

Aimpoint
10th Jul 2012, 09:01
Looks to me like an orbit to dead reckon their position, then a couple of 1 in 60 course corrections.

Super Cecil
10th Jul 2012, 09:59
Think about it folks, with the prevailing Northerly the orbit was just North of Canberra. Doesn't take too much working out, Government disgruntled with the Greens not voting with them on the refugee problem. Chemtrail cocktail, compliant population coming up. Bastards, in broad daylight as well, they are getting cocky again. :8

Capn Bloggs
10th Jul 2012, 10:56
Anyone know why they would be performing 90 degree turns that look like major course corrections to the west of Canberra, or further south, or even down in Victoria as a Flightradar screenshot below shows?
To lose time, being sequenced by ATC no doubt. :cool:

BPA
10th Jul 2012, 11:16
Agree with Capn Bloggs.

Lumps
10th Jul 2012, 11:48
Why can't they just pull the throttling thrust levers back a bit?

Capt Fathom
10th Jul 2012, 11:52

Probably because the throttling thrust levers are already at the aft stops!

Metro man
10th Jul 2012, 12:32

Because jet aircraft have a minimum speed they can fly at in clean configuration, for the A320 this is generally in the 190-220kt range depending on weight. A jet has a flat drag curve and if you were to fly too slowly drag would increase slowly with little warning and more power would be required until you were at full thrust just to stay airborne. Then you could only accelerate by losing height.

Flap life limits are based on them only being used for take off, initial climb out, approach and landing. A controller can't give you a speed en route which would require flap extension to achieve it, minimum clean speed, holding or radar vectors are used.

There used to be a Cathay interview question regarding what distance out from the field a controller could give you a speed which required flap extension.

Tiger 77
10th Jul 2012, 13:30
There used to be a Cathay interview question regarding what distance out from the field a controller could give you a speed which required flap extension.

Just curious, what is the answer to this question (In Australia)?

Cheers,

Tiger.

Popgun
10th Jul 2012, 14:24
Looks to me like an orbit to dead reckon their position, then a couple of 1 in 60 course corrections.

GOLD!

;)

(plus a few nebulous characters)

Ejector
10th Jul 2012, 16:35
Quote:
Just curious, what is the answer to this question (In Australia)?

:ok:Wonderful question?

nitpicker330
10th Jul 2012, 23:22
Answer:- whatever the controller wants. :bored:

However we cannot use Flap above FL200 anyway.

Howard Hughes
10th Jul 2012, 23:25
It allows for better dispersal of the chemicals!:E

Desert Flower
10th Jul 2012, 23:58
Was listening to Melbourne Centre around midnight (S.A. time) last night, & there were at least four aircraft heading to Perth that had to divert to Adelaide due to weather in Perth & also their fuel status. It was like a domino effect - after the first one announced his intentions at least another three followed in fairly rapid succession. Lady ATC was doing a great job of sorting them all out, as well as dealing with other aircraft that were asking for ride reports.

DF.