PDA

View Full Version : The more I think about this, the scarier it becomes.

Loose rivets
10th Jul 2012, 00:28
What's that thing called where you become conscious from sleeping, but can't move? Had it all my life - couple of times, then a few years, then have it a cluster of five times or so.

Don't like it, but it's just what is. Even briefed the missus on looking for eye movement if she hears troubled noises, then trying to wake me. Never caught me in the act.

It's a good job we have this state. One bloke during the war had problems with this circuit that stills our bodies. His room mate would hear crashing, and in the morning there were holes punched in the billet walls and ceiling! Subject knew nothing about it.

Anyway, this morning, I was lying on my back and became conscious. Couldn't move, but then realized the back of my throat was flopped closed. For what seemed like a minute or so, I couldn't breath. I thought this is bloody silly, not only am I going to join the statistics of those that die of sleep apnea, I'm going to witness the whole procedure.

Am I alone in this combination of nasties?

keithl
10th Jul 2012, 11:52
That's interesting, LR, I think I had that once. So - you're not alone, but I'm much less experienced at it than you!

Just to check it's the same, I "woke up" but found all limbs heavy as lead and unresponsive. My breathing was that slow, steady rythm of sleep. My eyes were open and I could see and hear, but not speak. I found it not unpleasant, and went back to 'proper' sleep. Is that the same?

greenslopes
10th Jul 2012, 12:29
It's called a REM Block. Occurs in the deepest stages of sleep and enables your body to do a great many things(including not running in your sleep as you dream of chasing Bo Derek down the beach).
Do a Google on it, see a Doc & no your not losing it!!

P.S This is not a diagnosis, merely information.

Loose rivets
10th Jul 2012, 15:00
keithl, I've never had my eyes open during the paralyzed period. I'd always hoped that if I could open them, I'd be free from the neurological restraints. I'd hate to be able to see and still not have control.

For some reason, I've always fought it; a major battle against claustrophobic bonds.

Sometimes when I'm very physically tired, it does happen more. I can recall being very worn out with my building projects, but scared to try to sleep in because it was happening several times in quick succession.

I'd never thought about the apnea aspect. Still, obtaining a positive pressure device here would be a tad expensive.

I'll have a look at goo goo tonight. Thinking about it, I'm surprised I haven't researched it more. I suppose I choose to forget about it once it's over.

Eurotraveller
11th Jul 2012, 09:34
;..................

Just an other number
22nd Jul 2012, 08:29
Try looking for 'Sleep Paralysis' in Wikipedia and elsewhere for more information.