PDA

View Full Version : Alderney private pilot offer

Aero Mad
9th Jul 2012, 01:37
Private Aviator Offer | Visit Alderney (http://visitalderney.com/travel/private-aviator-offer/)

Just saw this offer of discounted/free landing fees at Alderney in July and September and thought others might like to also. Avgas down there is £1.67 per litre which is surprisingly reasonable - certainly worth a trip down if you've never visited before... and, as the most northerly Channel Island it isn't such a long way either and with beaches like the one below it's certainly worth the hop. Apologies to mods if this seems too much like an advert, but Alderney is frankly too darned good to miss... and I'm aware that they're in need of some visitors.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01466/alderney-beach_1466873c.jpg

Zulu Alpha
9th Jul 2012, 06:49
Its a great place. 30mph limit everywhere. very cheap hire cars (leave the key in the ignition so you don't lose it.. no one will steal it). Nice walks, interesting history.
We used to go to the Alderney fly in every year, I don't know if they still have it.

Highly recommended, try it sometime.

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Jul 2012, 12:10
very cheap hire cars
Unless you've got an awful lot of luggage to carry it doesn't really take very long to walk from one end of the island to the other. Never felt the need for a car.

dirkdj
9th Jul 2012, 16:44
I once arrived at Alderney when there was seafog around. The Island and the airfield were just on top of the fog. Just like landing on an aircraft carrier. Nice place to visit

Cusco
9th Jul 2012, 23:08
Great place to visit No crime, pub lock ins a regular feature.

When we flew into the annual air event a few years ago our B & B was unattended, front door unlocked with a note and door key on the hall table saying 'Your room's on the right at the top of the stairs.'

Thanks for the heads up: will probably go myself now.

Whopity
10th Jul 2012, 07:28
Alderney, 2000 drunks clinging to a rock!

Johnm
10th Jul 2012, 08:03
I'm guessing Whopity comes from Guernsey.........

Aero Mad
10th Jul 2012, 19:24
Whopity highlights another reason to come to Alderney - about one set of licensed premises per couple of hundred islanders ;) Glad to see the offer has had some interest.

Johnm
10th Jul 2012, 19:34
Then there's fish and chips or crab claws at the Marais Hall, desserts from Sarah at the First and Last, take home Kiln Farm produce including butter that will stay fresh for days and days.......

Whopity
10th Jul 2012, 20:04
And you can walk to the pub(s) from the airport

Aero Mad
11th Jul 2012, 00:28
Alderney, 2000 drunks clinging to a rock!
And you can walk to the pub(s) from the airport

He clearly speaks from personal experience ;)

Jan Olieslagers
11th Jul 2012, 00:39
Well, it looks like a nice destination for me. I always understood Jersey and Guernsey were a "no go" for my microlight, given they're in controlled airspace; but Alderney is apparently feasible. Would there be any caveats in a flight from Cherbourg to Alderney? Seems like a short hop only? Don't even need to carry a raft! Customs issues, perhaps, or at least formalities?

Johnm
11th Jul 2012, 06:50
Well, it looks like a nice destination for me. I always understood Jersey and Guernsey were a "no go" for my microlight, given they're in controlled airspace; but Alderney is apparently feasible. Would there be any caveats in a flight from Cherbourg to Alderney? Seems like a short hop only? Don't even need to carry a raft! Customs issues, perhaps, or at least formalities?

Alderney is in Jersey zone just like the other two, but I've certainly seen microlights there, so it may be there is some formality to go through but it clearly can be done. You would need a radio for sure and ideally a transponder.

Arrival from Cherbourg is simple (with a flight plan of course), route between the two nuclear installations at Cap de la Hague and Flamanville, you'll talk initially to Jersey zone who will quickly pass you to Guernsey approach and then Alderney tower. They'll park you on the grass and you pay the modest landing fee at the office by the firestation where you also fill in the customs forms and then off on your merry way :-)

barne_as
11th Jul 2012, 21:40
What's peoples experience of flying to Alderney from the south coast, I'm thinking of routing direct to Alderney from IOW ( st Catherine's point) instead of down to Cherbourg.
I can't really see much advantage of doing the recommended VFR route unless your going to Jersey, ( unless of course you want the shortest sea crossing)

Any trip write ups or advice on flying to Alderney that I have missed anywhere?

Aero Mad
11th Jul 2012, 23:03
A couple of previous threads on here about Channel Islands routings - see here (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/419426-quick-question-re-routing-alderney.html) and here (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/425629-first-flight-guernsey.html). Also a basic document detailing flying to Alderney here (http://www.visitalderney.com/files/managed/pdf/webflyto.pdf) - hope that helps.

rogerbucks
13th Jul 2012, 06:41
Andy, check your p.m's
Rog

Charlie Fox
14th Jul 2012, 09:42
No problem coming to Alderney just file a flight plan