PDA

View Full Version : BEE Indiagnation

fragul
3rd Apr 2002, 03:27
I Came back to work yesterday to find British European have on at least two sectors from here added the suffix "I" (India) to the end of their RTF Callsign for an onward sector of a multi-sector trip.
Most confusing.............. Is it an I ,......... Is it a 1 ?

All this on the back of last term's daft decision to use the ICAO code BEE for flight planning , but still calling yourselves JERSEY !!

Is it just us poor confused ATCO's who find ourselves developing an irrational hatred of Exeter or are the crews hacked off too ?:eek:

CaptAirProx
3rd Apr 2002, 08:57
Whats the problem with the BEE code and Jersey callsign. Most airlines I have worked for have totally different letters to the callsign. Isn't it something you get used to???

For instance: Monarch scheduled = ZB Callsign = Monarch
Air Operations of Europe AB = OE Callsign = Airops
Caledonian = CK Callsign = Caledonian
Bristish Airways = BA Callsign = Speedbird

Can think of many examples. Its something you just learn and becomes natural, surely? These aren't the best examples just ones that come to mind.

I would have thought BE is quite obvious. And everyone knows they are Jersey really. British European = Jersey, simple

Not sure about the "I" bit tho.

fragul
3rd Apr 2002, 19:44
Yep, suppose you're right Proxie, the BEE vs Jersey was a bit picky.........

But aren't those codes you quote IATA codes - (ie for ticketing) as opposed to ICAO codes used in rtf ?

I always thought Monarch were MON regardless of shed/charter ops??

Still thin k I is c*%p tho'

Whalerider
3rd Apr 2002, 20:17
I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BEE USING 'JERSEY' CALLSIGN - BUT I WAS WONDERING WHEN / IF THEY WILL USE THE CALLSIGN 'BEELINE' !!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Sobelena
3rd Apr 2002, 20:45
I certainly don't think it a good idea to use "I" (India) at the end of the callsign. It's too open to being misread on ATC electronic displays. CaptAirProx is right, although he compares with IATA codes iso ICAO codes. Perhaps the problem for the ATCO lies with the fact that for years "Jersey" was JEA and it's going to take time to program the brain to scan for BEE iso JEA when hearing "Jersey" calling in.

Bright-Ling
3rd Apr 2002, 20:52
It will just take us time to remember, as we often look at the screen, see the callsign and start transmitting (It ison ly decoded on the strip)

This has been the same this week with Crossair, using CRX as the trigrpah (and so on the radar screen) but now using "SWISS"

Oh well........progress I guess!