PDA

View Full Version : News of NEO

Good Man In Africa
7th Jul 2012, 15:10
Those who remember Nigerian Expat Outlaw (his posts can be found way back on the West Africa thread) may wish to know that he has recently been struck down with cancer and is currently undergoing chemotherapy.

Following on from the universally condemned treatment he received to save the Total contract at NAF Base, this is simply the icing on the cake. I am sure all those who know him wish him a speedy recovery and return to the acerbic wit we all miss.

dedhead
7th Jul 2012, 16:10
Very saddened to hear that.Having been in a similar situation
a few years back,I can only sympathise and wish him all the
very best,as he is an absolutely top bloke.

212man
7th Jul 2012, 19:12
Very sad to hear that and I sincerely hope he makes a swift recovery. I've known him for 22 years almost to the day as we both started our 332 course together. I hope he gets treated a little better than he has been of late!

SASless
7th Jul 2012, 20:36
I recall riding in a car with him from Lagos to Warri on his first couple of days in country....seeing him arrested...and the look on his face when I asked for a receipt for him from the Cops so I could show transfer of possession....that was a Kodak moment. He certainly embraced the local culture after that interesting beginning!

I sure wish him well in his fight with Cancer....and know he will give it his all as he has life so far. He is a real Helicopter Pilot!

212man
7th Jul 2012, 21:05
SAS - I see you edited that post. I'm guessing to correct the typos caused by the dust in your eye! It's catching!

SASless
7th Jul 2012, 22:13
Laughing at some of his exploits has much of the same effect!

He always got frumpy when I reminded him in public of that day.....as the dust seemed to be getting to him when he thought I was just going to ride off on down to Warri with that receipt in my grubby mitt.....leaving him in the warm embraces of the customs police or which ever bunch were viewing him as a down payment on their retirement fund.

Over the years he became much more adroit in handling such situations on his own!

He has a good heart.....and once you understand his ways....he is good fun!

The old Bristow tended to attract characters....and some have lingered on despite all the changes in management.

Good Vibs
8th Jul 2012, 16:08
Actually ASAP.
All the best.
Listen to your Wife, Family and Doctors!
All your friends are Praying for your speedy return to 100% health.

212man
8th Jul 2012, 20:25
er sprachst warheit

soggyboxers
9th Jul 2012, 12:25
NEO is aware that this thread has been started, so I'm sure he'll appreciate good wishes from all who know him but have no contact details.
I spoke to him a couple of days ago and he's in good spirits and determined to beat his illness. His wit is still as alive as he is and we are making plans for the annual reunion of the Grumpy Old Gits Club, where we sit on a park bench, wearing grubby raincoats, feeding the pigeons the remains of our sandwiches, drinking Carling Black Label and setting the world to rights. He's the same fighter he's always been, has a positive attitude and will make it through what has been a pretty bum year so far.

I fully expect to see him back out here in his real home before the year is out, maybe a bit slimmer and with less hair, but ready to take on all comers :ok:

I'm sure all messages of support will go down well as will more (far fetched) tales of his exploits - keep it clean please.

Good luck NEO, we're all supporting you and wishing you the best for a complete recovery :ok: :D

Enkeldoorn
9th Jul 2012, 14:33
I have just caught up with this post and just want to add my best wishes for a speedy recovery. Knowing NEO he will think us a soppy lot for our sentimentality but it doesn't do any harm.
Hey chemo works as I know from my own relatives experience.
Good luck with the recovery

TipCap
9th Jul 2012, 15:27
Not sure who NEO is but after a lifetime in BHL (me) and a couple of tours to Nigeria, I probably knew him.

However, I send all the best from West Wales and hope he progresses well

TC

stacey_s
9th Jul 2012, 18:07
Dear NEO

Superb chap always willing to help when others are down as I and my wife know, helped us in a very difficult hour, thanks NEO and cheering you on from the sidelines mate, PM if you wish, lost contact.

Stace

cyclicoyibo
11th Jul 2012, 21:00
Gents,

NEO has been re-admitted to hospital in the last few days with a bit of a down-turn. however, I understand that he would love to hear from old friends. Anyone who would wish to contact him, please PM me for e-mail address, phone number.

Cyclic.

PPRuNe Towers
11th Jul 2012, 21:38
I also corresponded with him a few days ago as he knew about the thread and wanted to sort out re establishing his access.

Wishing him the very best,
Rob

jimmynutron
18th Jul 2012, 12:18
Hey Neo hope to see you soon back at the bar and please, lets have some good music!! Stay positive, We are all sending our best wishes and a speedy recovery for you.

Jimmynutron

SASless
18th Jul 2012, 13:34
NEO with less hair....now that would make some old Bristow Managers happy....they wanted that for years when he had his Pony Tail!

I think for a while he was thinking he was in the Navy or something as he chose to wear his hair a bit long in the back.

Soggs....you are an old Git....but NEO is far younger and prettier than thou!

Leave room on the bench for me will you....there could be some interesting stories passed around during that get together!

soggyboxers
19th Jul 2012, 12:46
NEO is now back at home again after his down-turn. He's still undergoing treatment and cyclic will be visiting him soon just to make sure he's still up for the Carling Black Label.

mtoroshanga
19th Jul 2012, 13:33
Hope things work out for the best,Mate.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
22nd Jul 2012, 14:08
To all posters, please (without being soppy) accept my sincere thanks for the messages of support. Believe me, as anyone who has been through this and lived will tell you, the ups and downs are not just a result of the pain and discomfort, they are chemically made by the stuff they inject into you and make you swallow. Your messages have (honestly) helped me to keep the faith and remain determined to beat this absolutely wicked disease.

I used to watch Jeremy Kyle on leave just to reassure myself that however bad things ever got there was always someone worse off (and with less teeth and hair) than me; having spent nearly a month in a cancer ward I will no longer need to put myself through that.

I trust those at my former and new base to keep my bar stools reserved as I fully intend to reoccupy them as soon as possible.

Once again, many, many thanks for the messages of support.

NEO

unstable load
23rd Jul 2012, 06:04
NEO,
I trust those at my former and new base to keep my bar stools reserved as I fully intend to reoccupy them as soon as possible.
That's the ticket, Sir!
Speedy recovery and convalescence and back in the saddle.:ok:

Dragoon52
23rd Jul 2012, 10:33
Hi Boss,
Get well soon.

SASless
23rd Jul 2012, 12:34
If the likes of "Chuks" are holding your seat for you....you shall have a hefty Bar Bill to pay when you do get back young Lad!

Troglodita
23rd Jul 2012, 12:41
At least Soggy won't be able to call you "Fat Bloke" any more!

Seriously - keep on fighting!

See you when you get back!

Trog

Foamy Coolings
23rd Jul 2012, 13:04
NEO my good man we at Humane Resource wish you the very speedy recovery and return to the bosoms of our family.

We will pound many yams and prepare starch and banga soup to return you to the fine figure that suits you so well.

We will see you back soon O

FC

Enkeldoorn
2nd Aug 2012, 09:26
No retirement yet then! First class news.

All the best

bh412tt
2nd Aug 2012, 18:47
Good man in Africa,

Send me a PM with your address. Somehow I have lost it. Hope you are on the mend and back in the saddle soon.

CU,

Larry

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
4th Aug 2012, 08:41
I'm a quarter of the way through the chemo now and my bowel is almost completely blocked by the primary tumour so no solids until after the next cycle at least. I've also lost the feeling in both feet, apparently a reaction to one of the chemicals, so the beloved Beemer is parked. Still, having scanned the Cancer Research and Macmillan websites I consider myself lucky to have so few side effects.

The plus of all this is that I may not have to rely on the usual "pocket full of personality" upon my return as I'll be so lithe and desirable (although much more wrinkled) that the distings will just fall at my feet with no need for transport money. That is keeping my morale up at the moment anyway.

Hope you are all keeping well, and a word of advice for the over 45s; for goodness sake get scanned once a year, even if you have to pay for it. I could have been sorted a lot sooner and with much less pain etc if I had heeded that advice.

Take care and fly safe.

NEO

212man
4th Aug 2012, 11:35
Following on from your advice - how was it discovered and were there any symptoms prior to that which you ignored, which in hindsight you would not have?

Keep up the recovery! :ok:

bh412tt
21st Aug 2012, 14:00
Wishing you all the best. Keep fighting the good fight!

SASless
22nd Aug 2012, 00:28
If you turn 50....absent any family history of Colon Cancer and no indications of problems....absolutely visit the Roto-Rooter Man and get "seen" to. It is painless...and the peace of mind knowing you are in good health is worth it. If you have family history...or any suggestion of a problem talk to your Quack asap.

First check was good for me....with some signs of Diverticula.....five years later and some good reason to get the second one done....over the protests of my government supplied Doctor....and confirmation of non-cancer problems confirmed. Now it is every other year to determine the extent of the problem and to ensure no other issues.

Colon Cancer caught early is one of the most curable cancers out there.

Hang in there NEO....perhaps in time the Distings will smooth out some of the wrinkles out for you!:ok:

Ainippe
22nd Aug 2012, 07:21
could someone pm me NEO's real name - I might know him? cheers

CharlieOneSix
22nd Aug 2012, 08:46
any suggestion of a problem talk to your Quack asap.
Totally agree with SASless. In England every two years once you reach 60 and until you are 74 you will receive in the post a bowel cancer screening kit - in Scotland it's from 50 to 74 and in 2015 that will be the same for Wales. My last test in December was clear but in May I began passing blood.

Saw my GP the next day, had a colonoscopy and biopsies taken within 4 weeks. Colonoscopy is very slightly uncomfortable but not painful and you are sedated. Like SASless and around 50% of folk over 50 the colonoscopy showed I have diverticular disease. The majority will never know they have got it. However my bleeding is caused by ulcerative colitis - incurable but controllable.

My point in all this is if you have any symptoms at any age get yourself checked out soonest. Just because the symptoms put the fear of God into you, don't leave it and hope it goes away. Altered bowel habits, pain, bleeding, passing mucus covered stools etc - get it checked out. Chances are that like me it isn't colon cancer but if it is and you catch it early it's curable.

All the best to NEO - I don't know your real name but I expect our paths have crossed over the years.

soggyboxers
22nd Aug 2012, 20:34
NEO doesn't have bowel cancer, he has non-Hodgkins Lymphoma which is causing some problems with his bowels as the tumours are shrinking after chemo-therapy. He has completed another session of chemotherapy but is being kept in hospital under observation as he is suffering some complications at present. I spoke to him a couple of hours ago and he remains resolutely positive in his outlook and is determined to be back at work before the year's end.

Cancers have some strange ways of manifesting themselves and NEO originally returned to UK suffering a really painful back problems which was initially mis-diagnosed as a due to a crushed nerve root. It took some weeks before the tumours were discovered and treatment for his real ailment could begin.

He really appreciates everyone's good wishes and hopes to be back in circulation, slimmer, balder but the same old NEO as always :ok:

soggyboxers
7th Sep 2012, 11:50
NEO's had some additional complications and has had to be kept in hospital for the last couple of weeks. He's having surgery today to help and I know he really appreciates everyone's good wishes, so please join with me in wishing him the best in beating the beast and getting well enough to get back out to Africa and sink a few Heinekens with his friends again :ok:

surely not
8th Sep 2012, 13:12
Is it possible I might have shared a pint or two with NEO in Goodies Bar, Mar 2005 to Sep 2006? I'm not a fling winger, just a ground guy who was helping start up a new airline at the time.

Best wishes NEO and hope it goes well.

soggyboxers
8th Sep 2012, 18:48
NEO's operation was successful and he is recovering well :ok:

bh412tt
10th Sep 2012, 23:53
Hang in there and keep fighting.................

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
22nd Sep 2012, 12:40
Thought I'd post a short update on my situation. I was discharged from hospital again after a near six week stay yesterday evening.

The operation to free up my bowel was a great success and the surgeon who carried out the procedure had only one regret; that he could not remove the primary tumour as it has blood vessels which feed the bowel running through it. If he had cut it out he would have "killed" my small bowel. So I have some more chemotherapy to undergo.

The pain, both internal and external, from the operation is very acute but I have been assured that will pass as it heals up. I am controlling it to some extent with morphine sulphate tablets which unfortunately means I drop off to sleep at the drop of a hat, sometimes without even realising it !

But am now eating a soft diet which will slowly develop into a normal one, something which was simply impossible a couple of weeks ago. Having lost 65 pounds I need to build myself up in order to withstand the remaining chemotherapy cycles.

The good news is that the surgeon tells me that the primary tumour has shrunk from a full size rugby ball to a walnut. With 5 cycles remaining the light at the end of the tunnel is mathematically as bright as it can be under the circumstances.

Once again, best wishes and thanks to all who have contacted me or left messages, and please please please think about getting a scan as I advised earlier.

NEO

SASless
22nd Sep 2012, 13:12
Dropping off to sleep without knowing it.....just another evening in the Bar for you it sounds like!:E

Good to hear you are on the mend!:ok:

stacey_s
22nd Sep 2012, 14:00
Hi Neo

Good news dear Chap, keep up the good fight.
;)

Stace

212man
23rd Sep 2012, 08:43
Good news - keep it up! I look forward to hearing more good news soon

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
7th Oct 2012, 11:05
Just thought I'd update you on my progress.

I was discharged from hospital for the fourth time on Friday afternoon, having been re-admitted for severe small bowel pain and nausea (couldn't even keep water down), and this time I hope and pray they have finally found the cause and sorted it. Yesterday was my first pain free day since this whole sorry affair began in March and I slept the whole night without any sudden starts due to turning over and causing tumour compressions.

I am now on (only !!) nine various drugs to alleviate pain, bowel convulsions, nausea, constipation, diarrhoea and fatigue. But they are all temporary, some until the post operation scars heal, some until the end of the chemo, some for longer, perhaps years or even life. but Hey Ho, the operative word in this situation is life. And none of them affect me work wise if I have to keep taking them.

I had the fourth full chemotherapy cycle on Thursday and on Friday was confronted with a bunch of very happy consultant surgeons, haematologists and nurses who told me that I was being discharged. I have a number of bowel dilations caused by back pressure from the previous blockages, the small bowel is less inflamed but still healing and may take months, years or never return to its normal size, but the primary tumour is either so small it was hidden from the CT scanner by intestinal overlay or is too small to see. In all absolutely splendid news. The other lesser tumours were all undetectable.

So after another four cycles it is a good bet that remission will be the order of the day and I'll be back on that bar stool (or more realistically in my case the plastic chair by the pool) sooner than I thought. One troubling issue is that my sons took me to the local and I tried a half of bitter just before I went back into hospital; couldn't drink it as I didn't like the taste ! Is it worth continuing this treatment if I'm going to end up teetotal ?! Your thoughts please.............

During the week I was visited in hospital by a very nice lady from Redhill HR who had made the effort to drive all the way up just to see how I was getting on and pass on best wishes and encouragement from herself and my bosses in Lagos. I emphasise that these were personal messages, not the stock text book stuff. Unless you've been in this sort of situation it is hard to express the lift a visit gives, and such messages, especially from people who have very big fish to fry, mean an awful lot.

I have had literally hundreds of communications, mails, texts, calls and visits and it is impossible to quantify the positive effect these have had and are still having. People who are well don't wake up full of sweetness and light every day of their lives, so I reckon I'm entitled to have the odd "down" day, but when I get a mail or a call it lifts me up again if I'm feeling discouraged.

Once again I thank those who have done this from the bottom of my heart, especially those who have hundreds of people to think about, but still spare a thought for one small cog in the machine.

All in all, barring some unforeseen obstacle, all I have to to is endure four more chemotherapy cycles, build myself up a bit (well, lot actually) and get on the plane back to work.

One thing I have learnt among many other life lessons is that although there is no loyalty on the corporate or commercial fronts, there is still human loyalty. People have jobs to do but they are still human beings with human feelings. This was demonstrated to me in practical terms last week. Maybe we should sometimes look at both sides instead of always taking the cynical approach to everything our bosses do ? Just a thought.

Be safe guys and gals, I'll see you soon.

NEO

Good Vibs
7th Oct 2012, 12:39
Good Luck, Sorry this is happening to you.
My sincere thought are with you. Mike

212man
7th Oct 2012, 13:19
Good news - thanks for the update!

bellboy
7th Oct 2012, 14:27
Teatotal!! that is serious.

News Flash
Nigerian beer industry shares tumble.

SASless
7th Oct 2012, 14:28
Is it worth continuing this treatment if I'm going to end up teetotal ?! Your thoughts please.............

We do tend to be better people sober.....in your case we don't know.....as seeing you sober is such a rare occasion.

Very glad to hear you are well on the road to recovery....in time you will regain the appreciation for the foaming ale....but it seems you've already got your spirits where you need them!

All that being said....a dear friend had a real fight with Hepititus many years ago and was on a "Water Only" routine for a full year. Twenty years later and he still cannot drink Coffee because he cannot stand the taste of it.

Scary thought in your case should you be the same.....off Beer for life!:{:oh::uhoh:

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
15th Oct 2012, 15:13
I was admitted to hospital (for the SIXTH time) on Friday with uncontrollable vomiting and severe abdominal pain. This so called journey has a lot of speed bumps in the road !

So they have all that under control and I'm able to eat a bit, except I've now lost a total of 75 pounds since this whole thing started. The dietician and nutritionist are due to see me tomorrow morning then Ill be discharged once again with another load of drugs to keep me on the straight and narrow.

Once again, thank you for all the support, you have no idea what it means to me.

NEO

TipCap
15th Oct 2012, 19:16
Best of Luck NEO for the future

I hope all goes well for the future and I will be watching this thread :ok:.

John

krypton_john
15th Oct 2012, 20:56
Hi NEO, we don't know each other but I've been really captured by your story. Have had a few friends in a similar boat to you and it's bringing back a lot of memories both bad and good. I really glad to hear was your comments on what it means to get visits and encouragement from your mates.

On the subject of beer - can't they put stout directly into the chemo cocktail?

Good luck mate.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
14th Dec 2012, 06:14
Last week I had the 7th of 8 chemo treatments. The normal schedule for my type of cancer is 6, but because of the gap caused by the bowel operation they decided it would be better to "over treat" than not do enough. I can take the chemo and its' well known side effects, it's the steroids they make you take for days afterwards (to bolster the immune system) that knock me sideways.

The last cycle is schedule for 28th December then a full body scan to see if if the scourge has been eradicated. Assuming (as I must) that Ill be clear, I then get an intensive programme of dietary input and physiotherapy to build me back up, although I am managing to eat even though this has made me unable to digest fibre as well as Lactose intolerant. Hopefully they will pass once the chemo stops and the bowel gradually returns to something approaching normal size.

To anyone diagnosed with any variant of this cruel condition I have one vital message; never give up, no matter how painful, nauseous or long it may be. Some are "lucky" and have 6 cycles as outpatients then go straight back to a relatively normal life, some are less fortunate. But I'm convinced that there is a psychological aspect to the whole issue of serious conditions such as this, and that maintaining a positive mental approach can make a significant difference.

Once again, the loyalty, support, true friendship and contact from colleagues and my bosses has also made a huge difference. Statistically one in three people either have, have had or know someone with cancer. Support is a huge bolster. I am unsure how I would have fared this far had I been compelled to face this alone. Food for thought.

I'll report again when the last chemo has "worn off" and the scan results are out.

All the best,

NEO

Dragoon52
14th Dec 2012, 08:54
Hi Sir,
Glad to hear you are recovering. Take Care. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

212_Nightdipper
14th Dec 2012, 11:06
Hello NEO,

dont really know what to say beside that I really admire your strenght....you're setting an example here...just wanted to give you a "pat in the shoulder"...even in a virtual way...thanks for sharing and get well soon buddy.....

Dario

SASless
14th Dec 2012, 12:55
Sarkozy and I raised a glass to you last night Lad!

Alan Biles
14th Dec 2012, 12:56
Fight it all the way. I look forward to hearing you give the all clear.

In the meantime, have a good Christmas and new year.

212man
14th Dec 2012, 17:09
Good news and thanks for the update!

SAS - judging from your comments on FB, you raised quite a few glasses!!;):E

bellboy
14th Dec 2012, 18:19
Dear NEO,
Keep the positive vibes going I don't know if it helps but we are with you!
JJ

alouette
15th Dec 2012, 07:22
NEO, keep fighting the good fight! Merry X-mas and A Happy New Year!

phonic wheel
15th Dec 2012, 11:57
NEO,

Looks like you are well and truly in the wars. One more chemo treatment and then some rehab should have you on the path to recovery. Easier said than done but you seem to be making a good fist of it.

I look back at my time at Calabar with fond memories.
Manic production crew changes, radio wars with Uko, rude emails to Lagos demanding money, trying to balance the petty cash, epic VIP flights and most of all many nights of merriment at the bar.

Great base you ran there. The Cercopan crowd always let it be known that you were the better host.

Best of luck for a complete recovery.

Phonic Wheel

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
20th Apr 2013, 04:28
Hello All,

Well, what can I say........ Emergency admission on 10th January after a fall in the kitchen left me with a gaping head wound, only to be told I had a 25% chance of survival due to severe malnutrition. I couldn't believe it; in a developed country under constant supervision and observation I ended up weighing 41KG (those who know me will testify to my "normal" shape and size !) and needing intravenous feeding.

I then caught "hospital acquired pneumonia" (WTF ?!) and spent three weeks in the High Dependency Unit. Straight afterwards a "Groschen" line was surgically inserted into my chest (it's still there) to feed me and take blood samples etc, but during the procedure my left lung was punctured. Talk about bad luck.............

I was finally discharged last Friday. I've had two CT scans to check on the condition of my small bowel, neither of which showed any sign of cancer. Of course this was an incidental observation, the "official" verification can only be obtained from a PET scan which I am yet to have. The good news is that I am finally pain free and able to move around (albeit with a walking frame temporarily) on my own. My muscles and especially Achilles tendons have wasted after three months enforced bed rest. But I weigh 60KG and gaining and am learning what I can and can't eat etc. Little and often is the order of the day.

The PET scan should be fairly soon (I need to be strong enough to take the radioactive injection), and barring any unforeseen obstacles I hope to be back in harness in sunnier climes in a couple of months. I get stronger and more flexible every day with the exercise regime; a very painful and stiff routine but it seems to be working.

So after a year of fighting with numerous setbacks to contend with I can finally see a light at the end of this evil tunnel. Once again, I can only say a huge thank you to those who have not forgotten me and have been checking on my progress (or lack of it) over the past year. It has been a massive morale booster, especially during the desperately low periods. And whatever people may say or think about my employer, they (or more precisely he) has stood by me and not deserted or dumped me. It is this sort of loyalty that separates the wheat from the chaff; a rare commodity these days.

Being told you only have a 25% chance of survival is an almost surreal experience; perversely it made me even more determined to beat this thing. The old cliche "There is always someone worse off" has also been brought into sharp focus. I saw a good number of people pass away over the past year. Some were simply terminal, some gave up and some couldn't withstand the chemo or radio therapy.

Onwards and upwards ! Just a PET scan to make it official, a lot of stodgy, fattening food and some exercise and I'll be back.

NEO

alouette
20th Apr 2013, 04:47
Strength and courage, NEO!!!!!! 'It ain't over until the fat lady sings!'

Alouette:ok:

212man
20th Apr 2013, 07:10
Great news NEO, though so sorry to hear the degree to which you have suffered!

Also, nice to hear about the way you have been looked after by the company. I remember well the uproar when they decided to severe Brian Fitzpatrick's employment after 6 months sick leave, which resulted in a lot of back pedalling. Sadly his outcome was less successful.

Dangagan
20th Apr 2013, 10:05
I have said a prayer for you NEO and all is well with you.

Good Vibs
20th Apr 2013, 10:46
Hang in there!
We are all rooting for you & fingers crossed.
M.S

bh412tt
20th Apr 2013, 11:03
That's great news, been praying for you and am looking forward to seeing you back in the saddle.

TRTR
20th Apr 2013, 15:37
Hi NEO,

We worked together in HK 88 - 90.

Seems like the hospital made a real mess of your last visit but it could have been worse, you could have been in a BMH!

Stag on mate, you'll get there in the end.:D

SASless
20th Apr 2013, 20:21
Good news NEO......That 25% chance will drop quicker than a Auntie's Kitchen Night Fighters knickers when you get back to flying if I remember your Piloting Skills with any clarity.

When you get to the point you can swill Gulder by the Gallon....that weight will magically reappear!

cyclicoyibo
21st Apr 2013, 08:22
Mate,

There is no doubt but that your fighting spirit and determination to beat this evil thing has been an inspiration to us all.

Getting back to work will be the ultimate triumph! Have a plate of chips on me!

Cyclic.:D

bellboy
21st Apr 2013, 12:11
Good news thinking of you.

stacey_s
22nd Apr 2013, 10:10
Good News NEO

Me and the missus coming to UK in the summer after a long absence, if your up for it by then I'll bring the 'Prawsns'!!!!

S

soggyboxers
22nd Apr 2013, 12:45
Fantastic news NEO. I've ordered a padded cushion for your place on the park bench in case your nyash stays bony, but I'm sure your usual Heineken and frankfurter diet when you return will soon fatten it up :ok::}

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
6th Jul 2013, 18:09
Hi Peeps,

Fingers and toes crossed, it looks as though I'm finally on the home straight; the PETCT scan showed the cancer has gone, however there was what my consultant termed an "artefact" in my chest cavity which means another scan to officially clear me as in remission.

An artefact is a common issue with these PETCT scans, it is basically a sort of shadow that appears when the 2D CT image is superimposed upon the 3D PET image. For example if you're breathing in when one image is taken and breathing out when the other one is shot, you'll have an artefact. Nobody seems concerned about it in the slightest, to the extent that my next appointment isn't until the end of August at which time the scan will be booked.

In the meantime I continue to gain weight and strength slowly but surely, no pain and only a small IBS type symptom to contend with. I have to take antibiotics for the rest of my life to stave off the Blind Loop Syndrome that caused the malnutrition but hey ho, people take pills every day for all sorts of things, if I have to take a couple it's a small price to pay for the gift of life.

So with the support of my friends and my employer I should be back in harness sooner rather than later, hopefully before the next consultant appointment.

At the risk of harping on (for which I make no apology), I feel an overwhelming debt of gratitude to those who have proven themselves to be TRUE friends, keeping in touch and visiting throughout this hellish period, some making outrageously long and arduous journeys to do so. This short list includes my ultimate boss who came to see me, crossing London and onwards up to my new home base in absolutely atrocious weather, turning up on the doorstep looking like a drowned cat with an umbrella that had been blown inside out ! You all know who you are, and I will never forget. Call me old fashioned, but I was brought up to believe that loyalty is a two way street and you have each earned mine for the rest of my life.

I have also had a few visitors more recently, some of whom have stayed and shot the s**t with me, a great morale booster.

Cheers to all and heartfelt thanks for the continuing messages of support. It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings, but she getting a sore throat............

NEO

212man
6th Jul 2013, 18:32
Great news - my heart sank slightly when I saw this thread at the top, but with no cause! Keep it up :ok:

VeeAny
6th Jul 2013, 19:09
NEO,

We've never met, and most likely never will, but I have followed this thread with great interest and respect for you and your friends.

I am really glad you are on the mend, and must admit to having a similar thought to 212man (although to a lesser degree no doubt than him), when the thread found its way to the top again.

Good luck to you sir, I hope you end up back in the saddle where you clearly belong.

Gary

SASless
6th Jul 2013, 22:00
As 212Man said....I was operating on the "No News is Good News!" routine.....and I am very glad it was disproved here.

Glad to hear you are mending well....and wish you a speedy return to "Work"....which is a four letter word..... like "Wife" and "Kids"!

I am off to have a CT Scan myself.....the Quack did not seem to concerned...but then why should he be....as it is not him having the problems.

Look at the bright side....Antibiotics for Life....should keep you safe should you stray while down to Aunties Kitchen!

alouette
7th Jul 2013, 03:13
Good to hear you feel better!:ok:

Dragoon52
7th Jul 2013, 03:36
Good news, take care Sir.:D

DirtDiver
7th Jul 2013, 15:51
Great news!! Take care Sir!

Alan Biles
7th Jul 2013, 16:52
Lima Alpha! So glad to hear you're back in the green.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
7th Jul 2013, 17:10
Bit boney for the Lima Alpha handle Alan, but I'm working on it ! :ok:

Cheers,

NEO

Ainippe
8th Jul 2013, 07:20
Good news at last ! well done and I hope things get back to something near normality for you sson:ok:

bh412tt
8th Jul 2013, 12:22
Great news! Hoping to see you soon.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
30th Aug 2013, 20:31
Well, it looks as though the end is nigh; the end of this hellish journey that is. Two days ago I was told by my consultant that far as he is concerned I'm in remission.

I'm slowly gaining weight and strength, the "food list" is getting shorter (that's the list of things that give me a reaction, ie puking and/or s**ting through the eye of a needle), so all in all things are on the up and up.

I now have to wait for the MDC (multi disciplinary committee) to formally endorse the consultants conclusion. Once that is sorted it'll be back to work. Believe it or not, and I never thought I'd ever say it, I can't wait ! Just the ability to move on, make plans and get on with life, albeit with a radically changed outlook and perspective, is something very valuable to me now.

To all those who stayed in touch, whether once, occasionally or many times with messages of support and encouragement, I offer my lifelong (literally) gratitude and loyalty. To those who dropped me like a stone for whatever reason, thank you for making my Xmas card list so much shorter and cheaper.

All the best to all Rotorheads. :ok:

NEO

Alan Biles
30th Aug 2013, 20:41
My dear chap,
Great news. Now get back to work.;)

SASless
30th Aug 2013, 20:57
Glad to hear it.....but with the impending "All Nigerian" plans...you thinking of staying in the UK this time or some other tropical paradise other than Nigeria?

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
31st Aug 2013, 00:39
Sas,

What other tropical paradise ??? You mean there is another ? What have I been missing all these years ?! ;)

Thanks Alan. Not all of us can bask in retirement quite yet...........

NEO

alouette
31st Aug 2013, 04:10
Happy to hear you are on the path of recovery!!!! Been following your thread. I feel with you. I once thought I contracted something until it turned out not to be.

Cheers,

Alouette:ok:

unstable load
1st Sep 2013, 11:02
Great news, NEO!
If you do end up back in Nigeria, I would be honoured to meet you.
(If I haven't already done so, that it:ok:)

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
1st Sep 2013, 12:11
Nigeria is where I'll be headed. We'd have to identify each other ! I have no issues in that regard, I guess almost everyone who knows me as NEO also knows who I am.

NEO

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
26th Sep 2013, 16:00
It's a go; flight booked, room sorted (I hope), back to work and another psychological hurdle cleared. Just in time to escape the cold weather !

Not sure if it's a good or bad thing, but I'll have less time to read PPrune....... But then if it went on much longer I may have ended up like Sasless :uhoh:

Best wishes to all.

NEO

212man
26th Sep 2013, 18:04
Great news, in a going back to Nigeria kind of way! Take care

SASless
26th Sep 2013, 23:05
Don't ask me to get you of jail again.....like the first time we met!;)

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
27th Sep 2013, 07:07
Sas, that's not how I remember our first meeting ? Whatever the circumstances, you spend so much time posting on PPrune you wouldn't have time for anything else !

Perhaps you should get out more ? ;)

NEO

Alan Biles
27th Sep 2013, 08:05
Good luck NEO. Keep your head down - its a jungle out there.

bh412tt
29th Sep 2013, 11:54
I'll be there Oct 22 perhaps we can have a brew..

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
29th Sep 2013, 19:22
Thanks guys. Perverse I know, but I'm looking forward to getting back in harness.

Sad news today about the Yobe agricultural college massacre.

NEO

stacey_s
30th Sep 2013, 18:02
Superb news!, strap the kids in Martha NEO's back!!
Best Of luck Shag
S

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
12th Oct 2013, 08:12
Been back for a week, staying in the "Centre Of Excellence", and after 18 months of hell it feels great ! Straight into a huge "go slow" from the airport, a different one each day with no rhyme or reason, nothing has changed. Great stuff !

The names being bandied about leave me a bit bewildered; new pilots and engineers I've never heard of. Fortunately there are still plenty of people familiar to me, at least enough to make me realise that although there has been an expansion the "sweats" are still lurking, waiting for my beer appetite to return !

The couple of legacy issues caused by the treatment and operation are diminishing, but it's going to take time. No surprise there, I was warned they would be around for at least as long as I had the cancer.

I was thinking, we can only truly base our opinions on personal experience, not those of others which may inevitably be biased one way or another. In that vein people can say what they like about my employer (and often do), on here and other fora/platforms, but as far as I'm concerned they have been truly outstanding. Throughout the 18 months of hell I passed through their loyalty and support has been unstinting and never missed a beat.

Now I have a life to look forward to my loyalty to them is sealed; they'll have to chuck me out to get rid of me because to use the old, hackneyed cliche, I won't have a word said against them. There are names I could name (one in particular), but this is not the place for that; they know who they are which is the most important thing.

Safe flying people, thanks for all the support.

NEO

DOUBLE BOGEY
12th Oct 2013, 08:16
NEO great post and if I could humbly suggest, you should name them!! It sounds like they deserve the recognition for what they have done for you.

Safe flying.

DB

Capetonian
12th Oct 2013, 08:23
NEO, I don't know you, had never even heard of you before reading this thread, but having, as one does at this age, a number of friends suffering from this terrible disease, some of whom are sadly no longer with us, I read through it. From the lows to the highs, you never lost hope, you never gave up, you never showed any bitterness, and have made a full recovery thanks to your own bravery and the love and support of those around.

Wonderful to read a story with a happy ending, I only wish there were more so. My best.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
12th Oct 2013, 19:20
DB & Capetonian,

Thank you. I could waste everyone's time and bore people with the gory details, but suffice to say the cancer was made less routine (if there is such a thing) by various knock-on complications. These are the issues that have left me with legacy symptoms which are going to take time to clear.

Your suggestion that I could name those who stood by me in various ways has merit, however I'm not sure they would unanimously agree. So to emulate what I've seen on other threads I'll use initials and try not to miss anyone out.

First and foremost, my sons Matthew and Andrew who were absolutely indispensable. Without them I am almost 100% sure the outcome would have been different. They both suffered with me, one with his own PTSD as a result of Afghanistan service (thankfully now sorted), the other with stress purely as a result of my condition. Then in no particular order: BC, AO, BS, BE, MI, RA, NC, YS, SS, LM. There were others but these were the primary people, either by actions, words or both who helped keep me going. I won't be clarifying for those who can't work out who they are !

Cheers and best wishes to all.

NEO

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
25th Dec 2013, 12:27
As I prepare to return to Nigeria for my second stint following remission my thoughts are with those less fortunate who over the years have succumbed to the disease which I was fortunate to survive, and those still suffering/fighting.

To you in particular and all those who support, encourage and care for you, I wish you a Merry Christmas and a New Year full of hope and recovery. Never lose hope, never lose faith in yourself and those around you and never admit defeat.

In addition my greetings and wishes to all in the industry and all Ppruners !

Cheers and Best Wishes,

NEO

212man
25th Dec 2013, 13:56
Merry Christmas NEO - enjoy it and all the rest that follow!

SASless
25th Dec 2013, 14:19
Seasons Greetings Old Lad.....enjoy your new year and wish you well!:ok:

TRTR
27th Dec 2013, 22:41
Stag on NEO.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
11th Jul 2014, 05:31
During my prolonged stay at the pleasure of the NHS, one of the statistics bandied around (I guess as a sort of attempt to hearten) was that 1 in 3 of the UK population will have or has had some form of cancer. Hardly cheering or encouraging.

To the many who know him therefore, and as if to go some way to corroborate this figure it will come as a great shock and concern to learn that one of my best friends, Barrie Shepherd (recently retired DHoFO), has just been diagnosed with a tumour in one of his kidneys.

He will undergo surgery early next month to remove the kidney and I am positive that like me everyone will be praying for a successful outcome. I plan the majority of my next time off being his tea boy, cook, cleaner, companion or whatever he wants/needs.

Barrie has always been a fit and healthy guy, which only goes to show that this evil disease has no friends and favours nobody.

NEO

soggyboxers
11th Jul 2014, 16:45
Yes, I spoke to Barrie today. He's been such a good and true friend to so many people over the years that I'm sure everybody who knows him will, like us, be rooting for a quick and total recovery

212man
11th Jul 2014, 18:43
Bugger! Hope all works out well and thank goodness for duplex redundancy!

finalchecksplease
12th Jul 2014, 06:50
As 212man says bugger and thankfully there is redundancy!
Barrie is a great guy and sad to see he has been diagnosed with this evil disease.
Remember what it says on the back of the Cdo medal: Courage, determination, unselfishness and cheefulness under adversity!
We are all rooting for a quick recovery Barrie!

Troglodita
12th Jul 2014, 07:20
All the very best Barrie - hope the Op goes well.

With NEO as your temporary Butler I am sure you will recover very rapidly!

Trogs

Helinaut
12th Jul 2014, 12:50
All the best Barrie and a quick recovery!

Good Vibs
12th Jul 2014, 19:23
As the others have said...All the Best and Good Health.
Thanks for the times together in Nigeria.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
28th Jul 2014, 03:27
Barrie's op has been confirmed; he will undergo keyhole surgery in the first instance on 4th August. Once inside, the surgeon will assess the "spread" and if necessary remove any nasties from the tissue surrounding the affected kidney.

I am sure my rejoinder is unnecessary however I appeal to all to spare a moment or two to wish Barrie all the best and a swift recovery on 4th, also to reflect on the life changing effect this evil disease can have, not only on the directly "infected" but on their nearest and dearest.

NEO

Keke Napep
28th Jul 2014, 05:57
Good luck Barrie. All the many friends you made during your time in Nigeria will be thinking of you and praying all goes well on the 4th :ok:

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
15th Aug 2014, 16:46
Barrie's op went as well as expected given the advanced surgical techniques used these days. I am currently spending the weekend with him in between his "official" carers (ex wife and daughter), and he's active, looks as fit as ever and fully ambulatory. Some pain around the surgical site (not entirely unexpected !) and a couple of decent war story scars.

He is waiting for the biopsy results from the tissue around the kidney, but based upon my own experience if there was something bad they would have contacted him immediately, i.e. no news is good news.

I've told him that everyone who knows him (and many who don't) are rooting for him. :ok:

NEO

stacey_s
17th Aug 2014, 07:29
Good News

Please give regards

S

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
18th Jul 2017, 23:43
Thought I'd resurrect this thread to inform Rotorheads that I'm going to do something completely different, a total departure from my previous life. I've decided to train as an End of Life counsellor at the hospital that treated me. One of only four in the area.

Having seen more than a few people die (previous posts on this thread refer), many of them totally alone I got to thinking there must be a lot people who are told they've reached the end of the journey and then make the trip with nobody to provide companionship/company.

I saw for myself it is entirely possible to be lonely in a crowd. After all, Consultants, Doctors, Nurses and Health Care Assistants have a job to do and can't spend time sitting with and providing support to any patients, even the terminally ill. I was lucky, my sons never left me alone.

So I'm going to be there but only if people want me to. It's amazing (and sad) how many people have no friends or family. Not their fault.

By the way, I'm still available for advisory/audit work.

NEO

oleary
19th Jul 2017, 02:22
Thought I'd resurrect this thread to inform Rotorheads that I'm going to do something completely different, a total departure from my previous life. I've decided to train as an End of Life counsellor at the hospital that treated me. One of only four in the area.

Having seen more than a few people die (previous posts on this thread refer), many of them totally alone I got to thinking there must be a lot people who are told they've reached the end of the journey and then make the trip with nobody to provide companionship/company.

I saw for myself it is entirely possible to be lonely in a crowd. After all, Consultants, Doctors, Nurses and Health Care Assistants have a job to do and can't spend time sitting with and providing support to any patients, even the terminally ill. I was lucky, my sons never left me alone.

So I'm going to be there but only if people want me to. It's amazing (and sad) how many people have no friends or family. Not their fault.

By the way, I'm still available for advisory/audit work.

NEO

Good on ya, mate. I'm Stage IV prostate cancer so I truly appreciate the value of your work.

19th Jul 2017, 09:45
A very noble calling NEO - my younger brother died in 2012 from an un-treatable brain tumour and benefitted greatly from the care at a Macmillan hospice.

It was clear, as you say, that many others go there with little support in their final days and it prompted my mother to volunteer there after he had passed away.

212man
19th Jul 2017, 16:05
Well done NEO - I'm sure it will be a very rewarding calling, if somewhat emotionally draining at times.

TipCap
19th Jul 2017, 19:49
WOW. NEO. "Bravo Zulu" to you

TC

bh412tt
20th Jul 2017, 13:26
I believe you will be very good at this.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
21st Jul 2017, 21:56
Thanks for the encouragement, hopefully I'll be able to provide some companionship and support to people who are unfortunately not blessed with friends or family at the end of their lives.

This is a pilot scheme (excuse the pun) which very few people have applied for; of those, the majority have unfortunately been unable to sustain the support as it's an extremely taxing role emotionally. But after 10,000 hours and all sorts of "positions" along with the accompanying hassle it's time to use the experience to do something good.

I'll try my best !

NEO