PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL to JAA

FL395
3rd Apr 2002, 01:49
I know this has been covered before but just looking for help on converting an FAA CPL MEIR to a JAA licence.
I've checked out the JAA website and can't get any answers.
I hear that one can go to the Czechs as they have a course to convert a non JAA licence to a JAA one.
I've not alot of money and just wondering can anyone recommend the best and most cost efficient way to approach this

I can do without smart ass remarks so if you don't have anything to say to help....then dont say ANYTHING at all

rolling circle
3rd Apr 2002, 06:42
It is not possible to 'convert' a FAA licence to a JAA one. You may get the FAA licence 'validated' by a JAA member state, in which case it will be valid only for one year and only on aircraft registered in that member state.

The other alternative, and probably the one you want, is to get a JAA licence issued on the basis of your FAA (ICAO) licence. In this case you have to obtain a JAA Class 1 medical, pass all theoretical knowledge examinations either at CPL or ATPL level, pass the CPL Skill Test and the IR Skill Test.

Training for the CPL theoretical knowledge examinations is at the discretion of the Head of Training of an approved Flight Training Organisation, if you choose to go for the ATPL level exams however, you will have to undertake a mandatory 650 hours of ground training. Training for the CPL Skill Test is at the discretion of the Head of Training of an approved Flight Training Organisation, minimum mandatory training for the IR Skill Test is 50 hours.

Requirements for issue in the UK of a JAA licence on the basis of an ICAO licence are Here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid24.pdf)

Czechoslovakia cannot, as yet, issue JAA licences so you would be wasting your money there.

I've lost track of exactly which countries have fully implemented JAR-FCL and have passed their LIST/MEST inspections but I'm sure there's someone around who can produce a list.