PDA

View Full Version : Well done D&D

More lookout
7th Jul 2012, 19:47
Just a note to say how grateful I am, that we have such an excellent facility available in the UK, known as D&D. Whilst flying our 737 back into the UK today, we listened (121.5) with interest as a young lass was lost in a motor glider over bedfordshire. She was clearly worried, however credit to her for remaining as calm as she could, even when the the airfield she was trying to find, requested she divert to Cambridge, due to deteriorating weather. I'm sure the outcome was succesful; every pilot has been "lost" at some point in their career.

Well done D&D for helping an aviator at the start of their flying, recover from a worrying situation.:ok:

AGS Man
8th Jul 2012, 06:34
Lost? Never! Temporarily unsure of my exact location, Yes!
Good Job D&D

Dengue_Dude
8th Jul 2012, 07:12
Big Brother is watching you!

Sometimes it's really reassuring.

Yes, had dealings with D&D on several occasions, calm, helpful and utterly professional. Kudos.

Juan Tugoh
8th Jul 2012, 07:58
Heard this too. D & D were excellent. Sadly there were quite a few fools telling them (D&D) that they were transmitting on guard.

mad_jock
8th Jul 2012, 08:12
They sometimes use CAT for training well the scottish DnD do.

Its quite good fun apart from the guard police moaning.

Bit strange though saying you are lost at FL150 plus.

We had one ex mil skipper though who used to take great delight in using speachless with them. I always wondered how much laughing/swearing that triggered with the instructor/student. They seemed to use our company quite a bit.

airpolice
8th Jul 2012, 08:45
"Mayday, Mayday, Practice Mayday, Scottish Centre this is Cranwell 46"

Much falling off of chairs and spilling of drinks at Prestwick.

PURPLE PITOT
8th Jul 2012, 08:48
Going to have to have a go at speechless, probably keeps the three musketeers off the air too "en Guarde!"

mad_jock
8th Jul 2012, 09:30
The poor bloke at the other end never seemed too chuffed to be honest.

Did get a comment once from the area controller asking us what we were doing to DnD as there seemed to be quite alot of activity in there direction.
Alaways had visions of some poor sod's first day and training exercise and they then get hit by some auld lighting jock who is bored ****less motoring up the east coast. They though they were going to get a nice triangulation and hand off to a radar controller and then they ended up with a speechless unable to change frequency into ABZ.

And it doesn't stop them unfortuantly they just start telling DnD to get off guard as well. And some speedbird type voice telling them to shut up just made matters worse.

Wensleydale
8th Jul 2012, 09:56
I remember carrying out a practise speechless at Linton. The question came back (from a new controller):

"Is this real or for practise?"

My instructor giggled, said "I have control", and answered with one beep as it was either real or practise...... Good debrief on return.

airpolice
8th Jul 2012, 09:56
I am at a loss to explain why the Guard Police have never been hunted down.

Like most offending, it would die out if action was taken. All that's required is a little co-operation between a few military units and it could easily be incorporated into a training exercise to provide a training benefit to all of the units concerned, as well as the wider GA/CAT community.

If they can be heard on Guard, then they can be found. The D&D controller has to deal with the initial call, but if resources were on hand to tackle the other aircraft transmitting, and suitable words of advice given, things would be safer for everyone.

green granite
8th Jul 2012, 10:16
Surely all it needs is for the controller to transmit "xyz report to airtraffic on landing at abc to explain why you interfered with distress working" where 'xyz' and 'abc' are just made up for the occasion, word would soon get around. :E

mad_jock
8th Jul 2012, 10:33
no gyro and IMC and no frequency change seems to put the wind up them.

Whats the speechless code again?

Wing_Bound_Vortex
8th Jul 2012, 11:05
Heard this as well as we were climbing out over the north sea. A fantastic job by D+D and Cambridge App and a happy outcome I'm led to believe. Always nice to know the back up is there when you need it. True professionals!

WBV

Torque Tonight
8th Jul 2012, 14:29
Not quite sure who's worse: the f-wits using 1215 as a comedy/chat channel or the guard police who jump on any transmission including genuine ones. Frankly they deserve to be cellmates, one going 'Hello' all day and making animal noises, the other neurotically shouting 'shut up' by reflex. I quite often here genuine calls on 121.5 being deliberately blocked or interfered with.:ugh:

flipster
8th Jul 2012, 17:23
Whats the speechless code again?

IIRC

'dot dot dot dot' if your transmit button works - ie Morse code 'H' - for Homing.

Or perhaps, fly RH 1 (or 2 min) triangles (TAS dependent). It was often suggested that this was done somewhere ATC would spot you (eg. maybe just below base of airway/overhead airfield (above zone) etc).

If neither rx'er nor tx'er works it was LH triangles (or have I got that @rse-about-face? I am sure someone will tell me)

Agree about the 'guard police' Twonkers! Though it is annoying in busy London airspace to have 'GABCD' wittering on while you are trying to listen/get a word in egdeways to London ATC, whom I suspect are totally overworked - wouldn't change places with them for all the tea in China.
In reality, we turn off or turn down - but then some fk-wit of a line-trainer/checker b*llocks you - if you forget to switch it on/up again. C'est la vie.

ShyTorque
8th Jul 2012, 17:42
If neither rx'er nor tx'er works it was LH triangles (or have I got that @rse-about-face? I am sure someone will tell me)

Right = Receive only.

Left = Nothingleft.

Herod
8th Jul 2012, 20:03
If my grey cells are still functioning, once you've got their attention it's one dot fot "yes", 2 for "no" and 3 for "say again". If you develop a further emergency it's "X". I've just realised; I haven't done a practice speechless for over forty years! :ooh:

oldpinger
9th Jul 2012, 05:10
What happened to the "training fix" on D&D (243.0) when you were geographically embarrassed- using an Army Air Corps callsign of course....:E

Old-Duffer
9th Jul 2012, 05:20
And............ this entire but interesting Thread started because of a woman driver who got lost - how unusual is that.

Ducks smartly below the trench lip!

Old Duffer

FantomZorbin
9th Jul 2012, 07:24
airpolice

"Mayday, Mayday, Practice Mayday, Scottish Centre this is Cranwell 46"

Many moons ago, when FZ was a D&Der, we had the above but with the callsign of "Yeovil Flag". Much mirth on the handover to Yeovilton. Apparently "Yeovil Flag" 'practiced' buying lots of ale in the Wardroom later on:E ... D&D didn't see any of it though:(

mad_jock
9th Jul 2012, 07:54
How often was speechlees used in anger?

Or was its main use to piss ATC off?