PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan back in the air

glojo
7th Jul 2012, 10:17
Apologies if this has been mentioned before but today the Vulcan overflew the Silverstone race track which I assume is in preparation for the British Grand Prix which takes place tomorrow.

JOE-FBS
7th Jul 2012, 10:25
British GP not listed on Vulcan to the Sky web site as a display but I imagine that it would good for the trust if they could do a last minute deal to get the gig for tomorrow.

According to the VTTS site, it is giving a validation display at Farnborough as I type and is planned to be at RIAT this weekend then Farnborough next.

Displays / Tours | Vulcan To The Sky (http://www.vulcantothesky.org/appearances.html)

glojo
7th Jul 2012, 11:03
Hi Joe,
It is not a case of me suggesting it might appear..

I enjoy watching my Formula 1 and during 3rd Practice this morning the camera broke away from following a car and tracked onto the approaching Vulcan bomber and trust me when I say I know the difference between a Vulcan and a Fairey Swordfish!!

This aircraft flew over the circuit, and made a return flight giving a nice wiggle of its wings (technical term)

I may be wrong when I suggest it was a rehearsal for the Grand Prix but to me the important thing is that it is once again airborne. (unless it was that fairy)

Regards,
John

JOE-FBS
7th Jul 2012, 11:17
No criticism intended, sorry.

Vulcan and motor racing, you lucky, lucky lad :-)

Milo Minderbinder
7th Jul 2012, 11:20
I heard it was a last-chance attempt to get the track dry enough for racing
Run it up and down like a giant hair-drier

Courtney Mil
7th Jul 2012, 11:27
I live just five miles from Silverstone and can confirm Glojo's report. The beautiful old girl came right over our house. Excellent!!!

glojo
7th Jul 2012, 12:47
:O:ok: Looks like the Navy AEW out trumps that of the Junior service ;)

Dare we have any banter on a military forum :)

Hi Joe,
No need for ANY types of apology as it is easy to read into comments things that are not meant or implied and perhaps we might have made incorrect assumptions :)

Best wishes
John the 1950's homophob :eek:

Dan Gerous
7th Jul 2012, 13:20
Was it not just on its way to RIAT at Fairford?

oxenos
7th Jul 2012, 13:20
Wiggle? The correct technical term is waggle, Shirley.

Tankertrashnav
7th Jul 2012, 16:10
Unless it's overflying a boy scout jamboree, in which case it's a woggle ;)

GrahamO
7th Jul 2012, 16:33
The Vulcan took off from Farnborough this morning while I was outside - I think it was probably around 1130am and it did a low, slow banking turn before heading off to the North.

Beautiful !

hurn
7th Jul 2012, 16:41
Hi Graham, the Vulcan didn't take-off from Farnborough but flew down from it's home at Doncaster to do a validation display for the upcoming airshow. It then headed off to Fairford where it displayed and landed.

Keep an eye open on Monday around 11.30 when hopefully the Farnborough airshow will be opened with a Red Arrows and Vulcan formation flypast. :)

glojo
7th Jul 2012, 17:45
Unless it's overflying a boy scout jamboree, in which case it's a woggle

Hopefully no one will wing the wong number and it goes to the wong location..

My assumption may well be incorrect regarding the rehearsal for the Grand Prix tomorrow but the post was to let folks know that this aircraft is once again looping the loop and rolling the roll :)

Fraudsquads
7th Jul 2012, 18:22
I could hardly believe my eyes when I saw the Vulcan heading north in my mirror this morning while driving south on the M3 past Farnborough this morning. One minute later and I would have had a great view.

Glad to see her flying again

FS

wokawoka
7th Jul 2012, 18:46
Saw it today at RIAT. Still amazing!

sitigeltfel
7th Jul 2012, 19:22
I heard it was a last-chance attempt to get the track dry enough for racing
Run it up and down like a giant hair-drier

They could also use those big bags of silica gel to soak up the damp ;)

Get me some traffic
7th Jul 2012, 22:43
Oooh bitchy!!

DX Wombat
7th Jul 2012, 23:37
Great news!
Wasn't there a football team which hired a helicopter to dry out its pitch some time ago?

Buster Hyman
8th Jul 2012, 00:39
Wiggle? The correct technical term is waggle, Shirley.
If they were trying to "Wake up Geoff", then it's a Wiggle...

Courtney Mil
8th Jul 2012, 10:50
The Vulcan at Silverstone yesterday, hundreds of helos here today. The F1 Helicopter Force makes our Armed Forces fleet look tiny. There must be some serious air traffic control going on there - as opposed to slightly humourous air traffic, that is!

Courtney Mil
8th Jul 2012, 11:24
And another flypast today!

reynoldsno1
8th Jul 2012, 22:54
I hope they charged Ecclestone a squillion pounds for this .....

GrahamO
9th Jul 2012, 08:40
Vulcan due in at Farnborough at 1000 with the Red Arrows according to the latest schedule (weather permitting of course)

EDIT : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8biI4AhvBa8 taken from the field behind our house