PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question on Military aerodromes.

nomorecatering
6th Jul 2012, 16:58
I have read some articles, dont know where on military airfields that allow civil aircraft to use them, ie airlines. Williamtown as an example.

The article stated that the military 'allow' the civies, but barely tolerate them. Apparently when the gov wanted to increase the civil movements but military bigwigs basically told the gov to bugger off. The same goes to large chunks of airspace.

I allways thought the military et al, was the loyal servant of the parliament. I do I have it the wrong way round.

Checkboard
6th Jul 2012, 17:59
I allways thought the military et al, was the loyal servant of the parliament.

(Leaving the spelling, and misuse of Latin aside...) The military swear allegiance to Her Majesty the Queen - not parliament. ;)

Stacko
6th Jul 2012, 20:26
Divert from Toowoomba to Oakey sometime and get ready for the welcome you recieve from the sub-contracted security of these so called loyal servants...

donpizmeov
6th Jul 2012, 21:49
You mean an ASIC doesn't mean you have a secret or top secret clearance? Who would have guessed?
You don't know what article you read, but can quote from it. Wind up alert.
Your taxes pay for the military. You should feel proud that its leaders do their best to protect its investment.

The don

Ps. Keep paying those taxes, as I will need a pension when I come home.

flying-spike
6th Jul 2012, 22:02
Nowhere else will the saying be more true as you will get some dumb answers. No two joint user aerodromes are the same as the demands on the airspace by the military are as different as the aircraft that operate in them.

For years I operated in and out of Darwin and experienced some bizarre and sometimes dangerous "controlling" and took them to task on it several times.
I operated in and around Oakey with absolutely no problem at all from the controllers, just the unbelievable antics of some of their pilots.

Mostly, I have found that if you stick to your clearance and stay out of the way of the military aircraft you don't have a problem. I was even given a GCA in Townsville, at my request, but it was a quiet night.

So the short answer is you may get dicked around at times but they are no better or worse than the majority of civvy controllers. Just know your stuff, stay situationally aware and stay in command of the aircraft

Captain Sand Dune
6th Jul 2012, 22:18
I have read some articles, dont know where on military airfields that allow civil aircraft to use them, ie airlines. Williamtown as an example.
The article stated that the military 'allow' the civies, but barely tolerate them. Apparently when the gov wanted to increase the civil movements but military bigwigs basically told the gov to bugger off. The same goes to large chunks of airspace.
I allways thought the military et al, was the loyal servant of the parliament. I do I have it the wrong way round.

So based on some articles in unknown publications written by unknown authors you decide to have a spray at the ADF. Have you ever thought that maybe there's a good reason civil and military aviation activities are separated?
Just know your stuff, stay situationally aware and stay in command of the aircraft
Which is what should happen at all times, not just in this case.

Trojan1981
6th Jul 2012, 23:38
The fact is, if the government of the day wants to kick the ADF out of somewhere and turn their airfield into an RPT airport, they will. However, moving the itinerant knucks away from Willytown would be expensive and probably not worth the gain in one election term!

I have never found operating in an out of military CTA and airfields to be a problem, whether in civy or mil aircraft, as long as you have a legitimate reason to be there (a phone call before you go helps too). Civy aircraft are not the only ones that get stuffed around, military aircraft too are often required to climb and hold and generally be stuffed around during civy movements into Willytown and other bases.

KRUSTY 34
7th Jul 2012, 00:23
Agree with Trojan'.

We operate into and out of Williamtown every day. I have always found the controllers both helpful and professional.

Mind you, I'm now glad the end of the financial year has come. LOTS of activity in June as every man and his dog scrambled to use up the last of the 'Kero allowance!

Good fun to watch though. :ok:

Captain Sand Dune
7th Jul 2012, 00:24
The fact is, if the government of the day wants to kick the ADF out of somewhere and turn their airfield into an RPT airport, they will. However, moving the itinerant knucks away from Willytown would be expensive and probably not worth the gain in one election term!
Applies to just about every other base as well, which is why I get a laugh every time the subject of moving the RAAF's transport operations out of Richmond comes up.
We operate into and out of Williamtown every day. I have always found the controllers both helpful and professional.
Cue D.S.!