PDA

View Full Version : Application topic

pilottom10
2nd Apr 2002, 20:51
My friends, I am currently completing a certain application form for a certain regional airline and i was looking for some suggestions or guidance.

I have to write a passage "indicating a business issue facing the aviation industry and howa regional airline could meet the challenge(s) it presents"

I am merely seeking some guidance and direction regarding topic or subject matter or reading material to further my understanding of the issues.

This is one of many questions on the form and is the only one which has me scratching my head.

Any assistance would be gratefully acknowledged.

Tom.....;)

easondown
2nd Apr 2002, 21:31
Remaining profitable within an increasingly competitve marketplace could be a topic to discuss. matching aircraft capacity to passenger demand on the route structure ie maximising yield against cost. The use of smaller aircraft eg emb 145 with increased route frequency serving main airports.

good luck !!! (is it for citiexpress ??)

steamchicken
2nd Apr 2002, 21:46
As an economist who was led astray; in an environment of reduced demand, how do you maintain profits? Is low-cost the way? Or should you seek high paying business class customers?

The key point about the economics of airlines is that on any given route, there is little to differentiate the competitors and very high fixed costs. Theory says that the pax will go to the lowest price. But owing to the cost of running the route at all, it's hard to drop it and probably better to fight.

Options; go lowcost, fly from nowheresville to oldbase, no food and lower wages; advertise like hell; offer your biz- and first class pax more for their (silly) fares. As usual, the best answer would be a synthesis of these - but you'd be best off considering what the airline does NOW and tailoring the answer to their assumptions; maybe you should read the FT for a while as well as researching their strategy

pilottom10
3rd Apr 2002, 21:25
Thanks to easeondown and steamchicken for stirring the old grey matter with their suggestions. Im off to do a little research and formulate a passage.

Sometimes you just get stuck in a rutt and that's the good thing about this site. Fellow aviators and the like minded who are there to help you.

Thanks a million.( I will continue to check this topic for a few more days then its time to put pen to paper)

Cheers Tom...... :rolleyes:

Freddy Forks
4th Apr 2002, 10:28
Its the Ba citiexpress form. Good luck.

I hate wordy application forms. You can either fly or you cannot. I do not see how being able to put down on paper your thoughts on different business topics can make someone a better candidate. But thats my opinion.

dv8
4th Apr 2002, 11:47
If there is one thing I hate above of all in life is filling in application forms that have
"give us examples of your"

Responsibility and Reliability
Working with others
Communicating effectively
Business awareness
Reasons for applying

:mad: :mad: :mad: