PDA

View Full Version : SSRI Antidepressants and NPPL Medical Standards

jds153
5th Jul 2012, 23:48
Hi all,

I have an issue that hopefully someone on hear will be able to help me out with.

I have been flying for the past 3 years on a University Air Squadron but have recently been medically downgraded by the RAF and declared unfit to fly by a SMO for 6 months due to my prescription of an SSRI antidepressant (Citalopram 20mg/day) to treat depression.

As I am graduating and leaving the RAFVR(UAS) within 2 months in any case, I was planning to work towards an NPPL (either SSEA or Microlight), however, I am not sure where I would now stand in terms of getting a medical declaration signed off by my GP. I have been on the antidepressant for over 4 months and have stabilised my condition with a possibility of weaning from the drug in a couple of months.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience of trying to get an NPPL medical declaration while on antidepressant medication, if there are any doctors on here who can shed any light on it or anyone who can advise me in which order to get in touch with my GP, an AME or an AOMA (sorry for all the acronyms).

NB I have thoroughly searched through all the information available online regarding this and am just searching for any personal experience or advise.

Cheers,
James.

kui2324
6th Jul 2012, 10:49
If you have a look at the last page - the algorithm http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/SRG1204Iss05cor.pdf

The rules will be changing for some who have an NPPL to consider a LAPL in the near future depending on what they fly.

kui

jds153
6th Jul 2012, 12:14
Ok, thanks, so as I understand it I should contact my GP first and then get in touch with the AOMA, or do you think I should contact the AOMA first?

Thanks,
James.

Miroku
3rd Sep 2012, 14:42
I am taking Citalopram which is being replaced with Sertraline.

Does anyone know if this medication is allowable for the NPPL.