PDA

View Full Version : Display Validation week at F'boro

PPRuNe Pop
5th Jul 2012, 21:34
This week is validation week for displays to be demonstrated at F'boro. To day I happened to be with a cousin who lives very close so decided to watch what was going on.

The Su 27 did FIVE displays with a couple of changes in each and then on the SIXTH a major change. Seems someone was getting tough. The display was pretty good with one extra element which I called the 'waterfall leap' which was a steep climb vertically and a push over at the top. Probably a variation of previous years.

The RAF demonstrated a King Air C90 which was altogether uninspiring.

The Osprey did THREE 4 minute slots that were great.

Another (F) did a display but my aircraft recognition fell short so I couldn't say what it was. But I reckon F'boro is going to be pretty thin next week if what I saw is anything to go by.

Manufacturers used say "we cannot afford to be here, BUT, we cannot afford not to be." The bluie and white striped chalets are conspicuous by their absence and I personally think that F'boro will not last much longer.

Just thought I would make a mention.

DaveReidUK
5th Jul 2012, 23:17
Manufacturers used say "we cannot afford to be here, BUT, we cannot afford not to be." The blue and white striped chalets are conspicuous by their absence and I personally think that F'boro will not last much longer.

Strange, the airfield plan on the FIA website shows the usual 4 rows of chalets on the hill, populated by all the usual suspects, although admittedly there is no mention of whether the colour scheme is blue and white stripes.

http://media.farnborough.com/images/stories/FIA2012/pdf/trade/Exhibitors/FIA2012-Chalets-and-Outdoor-Areas-Plan.pdf

TEEEJ
6th Jul 2012, 08:39
The Su-27s from the Russian Knights have apparently cancelled. You most likely saw the F/A-18 Super Hornet display?

Google Translation from the Russian Knights website

July 5, 2012 16:30
"Russian Knights" does not fly to the world's largest air show in Farnborough. Two hours ago it was officially confirmed by the Russian Foreign Ministry. According to the report, the famous aerobatic team was not given British visas. The fact that the participation of Russian aces in the cabin under threat, spoke on Tuesday.

Russian Knights press release - Russian (http://www.russianknights.ru/ru/press)

PPRuNe Pop
6th Jul 2012, 10:57
Thanks for that TJ.

No, not all the usual suspects are there and overall it is much smaller, by 20% I am told. I have attended F'boro in both a flying capacity and a professional capacity for the past 28 years and it gets much smaller each time, evidenced by space taken up by the up coming aircraft operators and the approvals for more private operations (flying) by the Rushmore council.

Oh, and lunches are no longer available at many of the chalets - just snacks but, no coubt, adequate supplies of drink - of all varieties.

TEEEJ
10th Jul 2012, 10:58
No problem, PPRuNe Pop.

The Russian Knights are apparently back on the Farnborough list? The Su-27s (two originally planned) might still appear if the problems can be sorted out.

From the Russian Knights website. (Google Translation)

Russian Knights website press release (http://www.russianknights.ru/ru/press)

Departure "Russian Knights" in the UK once again postponed
"Russian Knights" failed again today to fly to Britain at the Farnborough Air Show. In the morning came the information that all problems are solved, and the aerobatic team will rise into the air from the airfield near Moscow Kubinka. But several hours later, a new post - flight delayed again, the pilots were released to their homes.

"Russian Knights" did not fly at Farnborough
Scheduled for today flight aerobatic team "Russian Knights" in the UK at the air show, "Farnborough" canceled. A source in the Russian Defense Ministry did not rule out that the "Russian Knights" do not fly at Farnborough.

Mechta
10th Jul 2012, 15:03
I saw a bit of yesterday's flying. The most noteworthy to me was the downwind landing by the Boeing 787. Is this part of its show routine? It must have been a good photo opportunity for anyone on the hill at Windy Gap.

The Philips Speed Twin put up a sprited display with numerous rolls.

A useful list of attendees here: skowlist10.html (http://www.farnboroughspotters.com/showlist12.html)

TEEEJ
11th Jul 2012, 11:31
This appears to be the final decision of a no-show of the Su-27s and quotes the head of the Russian Farnborough delegation.

Russian Knights will not take part in Farnborough air show

The Russian Knights aerobatics team will not take part in the Farnborough international air show, given the delay in visa issuance, said Vyacheslav Dzirkaln, a deputy head of the Federal Military-Technical Cooperation Service.

"The permits were not prepared on time. Therefore the Russian Knights will not take part in the air show," Dzirkaln, the leader of the Russian delegation to the air show, told the press on Monday.

Some members of the delegation had problems getting visas to fly to Farnborough due to red tape, Dzirkaln said.

"Unfortunately, the visas were finally issued only on Friday," he said.

Russian Knights will not take part in Farnborough air show | Russia Beyond The Headlines (http://rbth.ru/articles/2012/07/09/russian_knights_will_not_take_part_in_farnborough_air_show_1 6229.html)