PDA

View Full Version : International Students - Part 61 USA

fredypcm
5th Jul 2012, 14:03
Hello you all,

I will be going to the US in early September to start my Flight Training Program and I would like to ask a few questions before making a decision of which school to apply for. My brother graduated from Airborne Flight Systems in Ft. Lauderdale last year under the Part 141 flight program. But last time we talked, he recommended me to look into the Part 61 as it would fit me better and I would also fly more. So I got in touch with Airborne Systems and asked about the Part 61. They told me they only let American students to fly under the Part 61, saying that International Students are not allowed to train under this program due to some visa matters. But the fact is that during his stay in America, my brother met a Brazilian guy who was flying under the Part 61 at Airborne Systems Flight School.

Well, the main question is: Are International Students not allowed to fly under Part 61, or should I look into a different school? Maybe this Brazilian guy was an exception?

Thanks!

Yeah112
14th Jan 2013, 12:27
Part 61 Flight Schools and Independent Flight Instructors. Part 61 flight schools and independent flight instructors may train a foreign national if that alien is a Legal Permanent Resident or in a work status (H-type visa) with extended stay privileges or a refugee in Asylum status with appropriate DHS documentation. They also may train a foreign national on an F-1 (academic visa) provided that the student is still enrolled and attending the college or university as shown on the F-1 and the student has notified SEVIS of the additional training being received at a non-SEVIS approved school.

B2N2
17th Jan 2013, 15:26
Part 61 Flight Schools and Independent Flight Instructors. Part 61 flight schools and independent flight instructors may train a foreign national if that alien is a Legal Permanent Resident or in a work status (H-type visa) with extended stay privileges or a refugee in Asylum status with appropriate DHS documentation. They also may train a foreign national on an F-1 (academic visa) provided that the student is still enrolled and attending the college or university as shown on the F-1 and the student has notified SEVIS of the additional training being received at a non-SEVIS approved school.

True, but is has ABOLUTELY nothing to do with the question of the original poster.
Only Part 141 certified schools are authorized by Department of Homeland Security and TSA to train foreign students on a M-1 visa issued based on a I20 from the school.

So yes, a foreign student can do a Part 61 course but it still needs to be at a Part 141 school

The school may decide to only do foreign students under Part 141 but they may have many reasons, from easier bookkeeping or record keeping to a slew of other reasons.
Under Part 141 the minimum is 190 hrs, under part 61 the minimum is 250 hrs, so yes, you fly more.
Question is which one would be better for you, both flight experience wise and financially,