PDA

View Full Version : aged 17 PPL wants to go CPL/ATPL (Belgium)

PrivatePilotDA40NG
4th Jul 2012, 16:45
Hello,

I am a Belgian PPL Pilot and after this summer I want to continue training in Belgium. I got my PPL at OAC(Ostend Air College).
I think that choosing the FTO where I will continue training, will be an important decision regarding my future career and possibilities.
So far I heard that starting Integrated ATPL would be the best choice, however some people still advise me to continue modular. :confused:

Can any of you give me advice on what school to choose, or to continue with OAC, or go modular so I will be able to shift between schools if needed? A few of the schools I'm interested in are OAC, BAFA, SFA(initial training USA), OAA , CTC.

Greetings

PURPLE PITOT
4th Jul 2012, 17:01
There are a few more questions that you need to consider first.

1 Can you pass a class 1 medical?

2 How much money do you expect to spent to complete the courses?

3 What are you expecting to happen when you have your cpl/ir (fatpl) in your hand?

funkydreadlocks
4th Jul 2012, 17:12
No one replied? Dear me, how rude.

Advantages and disadvantages:

Modular

Advantages

Cheaper (half the price!), you can do other studies or a job at the same time, you get more hours in, there's no time pressure for you to take exams until the date of your first ATPL exam, you can choose the best providers in terms of quality, price, facilities etc. Once the CPL passed (if you want to go into airline you HAVE to do IR and MCC) you can get a part time job to help build hours.

Disadvantages

Takes longer, it's harder to make contacts with the airlines, you don't get such a pilot oriented social life (nor do you get to wear cool uniforms!)

Integrated

Advantages

Full time piloting! Now that's fun. Awesome uniforms, awesome facilities and accommodations most of the time. You get good contacts for airline jobs (although no guarantee, in fact chances are still slim), in a lot of schools you fly practically everyday, no faff about trying to find courses because they're all there for you.

Disadvantages

HUGE financial risk (they ask for massive lump sums that you'll lose if you quit or the school goes bust, look at Cabair), much much more expensive, very stressful during ATPL exams, you'll be surrounded by posh guys (although a lot of them will be really cool and nice). You can't trust ANYTHING the schools say about the pilot market and how things work, most of the times it's completely false, outdated or lies made to lure you into a false sense of security.

After a lot of research I decided to go modular but that was for peronal reasons. I do not advice to go with OAA or CTC, they're dangerous and you might lose a lot of money with them, I heard several horror stories. If you want to do integrated, I suggest ACA (Aviation Careers Academy) they're based in Florida near Miami but they teach JAA. Only a small 2 week conversion course for IR to do in Spain at the end, and the course lasts only 12-15 months. They also ask for a much much smaller deposit and are a lot more flexible in terms of reimbursements.

TheSkyIsTheLimit
4th Jul 2012, 18:06
I am currently doing a Summer Refresher Course at CAE (or SFA); and I must say everyone I've met so far is really nice and relaxed (so no rushed lessons, although this might change when the ATPL theory starts). But indeed, it is VERY expensive.. As one of the other commenters said: first of all see if you would pass your medical class 1, if you do; maybe start studying your physics, math and English (maybe do the same course I am doing right now), and participate in the selection tests. These also cost money, but they (as I've been told) are valid for 1 year after you've passed them, so you don't HAVE to start immediately (or at all); but they'll give you an idea as to whether you will be able to cope with studying the ATPL theory or not.

flying apple
4th Jul 2012, 22:04
thinking that everything will be all right with medical and stuff i would really choose for SFA

in first sight it might look more expensive as bafa/oac but everything is covered (except your food) so no landing fees that have to be paid separately.

It might not be as good as it once was (before cae) but if i look at my fellow students (starting sep '09 till graduated now) i see a lot of people with jobs
maybe not at the big carriers but they are flying and that's what counts in the beginning

some of my friends who did there training somewhere else told me they could have made a better choice
but it's just up to you, go and talk to students both finished and still training

you can always pm me if you have some questions

zondaracer
4th Jul 2012, 22:16
@funnydreadlocks

You posted:
I suggest ACA (Aviation Careers Academy) they're based in Florida near Miami but they teach JAA. Only a small 2 week conversion course for IR to do in Spain at the end, and the course lasts only 12-15 months. They also ask for a much much smaller deposit and are a lot more flexible in terms of reimbursements.
Are you aware that ACA is not integrated, nor are they modular? They are not even CAA approved.
http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/481021-aca-propilot.html#post7178016

funkydreadlocks
5th Jul 2012, 20:08
@Zondaracer

Thank you for the info. I had absolutely no idea. It seems they completely sold me their product in the seminar I attended. I do think however that they are JAA approved, which would automatically make them CAA approved. And they do integrated, I know because I've been looking at loads of school and they go through every single rating and qualification required to become a frozen ATPL. the only extra is the 2 weeks IR conversion.

Nevertheless, I read the thread you posted and it's terrifying, I was so close to start training with them. Thanks a lot. I'm gonna go ahead and spread the news to all my mates that went to the seminar.

zondaracer
5th Jul 2012, 21:04
ACA are definitely not integrated, nor are they approved by the UK CAA. The use the approvals of other schools and piggyback off of their approvals because they don't even have their own. Just check out the UK CAA standards document 31:
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_Approved%20Schools%20List_Doc31v107June%2012.pdf

You can clearly see who are the integrated schools and who are the modular schools, ACA is not listed anywhere. Keep in mind, these are all schools with the UK CAA.

madlandrover
5th Jul 2012, 22:14
And they do integrated, I know because I've been looking at loads of school and they go through every single rating and qualification required to become a frozen ATPL. the only extra is the 2 weeks IR conversion.

In which case I'm afraid they're not integrated - going through every rating & licence required to end up with a CPL/IR with ATPL knowledge is the modular route, especially if it ends up with an IR conversion required. The integrated route is 0-CPL/IR in one course.

flying apple
5th Jul 2012, 22:39
hi da20 monkey

like i said those aren't the big airlines but everyone is probably just flying there to get the 1500 hours and then go somewhere else

and not go to ryanair of you can't afford the TR...
i couldn't afford my atpl but got a not so bad deal at my bank which you can extend for a typerating if needed
and i think it's becomming more and more common to pay for your own typerating like ryanair, volotea, airasia, jetairfly (have to pay half and only get summer contract) and probably there will be a lot more companies like this

i know those aren't the greatest jobs around but they are flying
and they are flying 'big' jets and not a cessna or piper instructing (which isn't that bad but i'll like it more as an extra)