PDA

View Full Version : Date off string at EK

hulabaloome2
4th Jul 2012, 15:13
Hi gents,

Just wondering, top bid month approaching what number of days off in a string could I expect realistically to be awarded. I've heard in the past management had restrictions in place to prevent excess of 5 days or so, so this is why I ask.
Regards to all and thanks for any info on the above

GoreTex
4th Jul 2012, 15:30
as far as I know, you can bid for 5, then you can swap to get 6, but the company can give you 7 for operational reasons if necessary.

givemewings
4th Jul 2012, 15:40
Not sure if you're using the same system, but I seem to have better luck getting date off string awarded by bidding it backwards, e.g. I want to have 1st to 5th August off I would put 5th in the first drop down box and 1st in the next. If that makes sense. Don't know why it's more effective but it is.

a747jb
5th Jul 2012, 04:28
Hey Givemewings,

This is because the system works in such a manner as that if it can't give you the first day in the string off, then it throws out the hole string. So, always bid for your most important day off first, but also try it in reverse order as well. Sometimes, or most of the time, you may get part of the string if not all of it. For example, if you have leave on say the 10 to the 15th of the month, and you want off 5 days before, always put the bid in as award the 9th-5th, not the 5th-9th.

To answer the original schedule questions, I believe the number is 7 days off, but I would not swear to that as those rules seem to change each bid session. In any case, because the system uses points, always put a date string greater than you think you will be awarded. For example, if you want 7 days off, but only think you will get 4, put the bid in for 7 days and see what happens (But BE SURE TO PUT THE MOST IMPORTANT DAY YOU NEED FIRST IN THE STRING!!!!) You never know, you might get surprised. Remember, the system is a computer and it only really has 2 goals. First and foremost, build you a schedule into the company set criteria for hours. Number two, honor as many of your bids as possible while building said schedule in order to award you the highest possible point total.

Hope this helps a bit with your bid or to whoever is reading. Good luck with your bid, i hope you get off the days you need.

HamFan
5th Jul 2012, 15:24
It can be explained easily if you've been around a while. At the top of the list of reasons is the hatred of pilots by the head of flight ops and engineering. The feeling is mutual by those in both those departments.

Inexplicably, he was brought into that new position after the Joburg accident and has hated drivers ever since (and probably before).

He makes rules in order to screw YOU around but which, due to their affect on the system, are often later changed or simply ignored.

If you hate the current "system", his new format for bidding (under development for a year or so with lots of money put into it and reportedly due out soon) is really going to impress you. Nothing new - just new to this airline.