PDA

View Full Version : Exercise induced Anaphylactic shock

nickyjsmith
3rd Jul 2012, 16:56
I've tried a few search's and not really found anything so here goes.
Back in January while nearing the end of a gym session I had what turns out to be an allergic reaction to something (probably food) which resulted in full blown anaphylactic shck which needed paramendics and adrenalin to get my BP sorted. Never ever happended before,Ii exercise regularly and have done so since even after eating the same foods.

As it put me in hospital I declared it to CAA, the result is a restricted class 2( i held an unrestricted class 1 before), can only fly with a qualified on type safety pilot, have to leave a 4 hr gap after eating before flying and not fly for longer than 2 hrs due to risk of low sugars due to no food (catch 22!)

I now have a couple of Epi pens to carry round too, has this happened to anyone else before ?

I'm wondering if there is any chance in the future (If it doesn't happen again) that i could appeal it and atleast get a clean class 2 back, i was hoping to instruct in a few years....

cavortingcheetah
3rd Jul 2012, 18:57
Once went for a run on a cold English afternoon after eating a souffle.
I've always had an up and down eggy allergy but nothing that approached the blotches, puffed up face, facial itches and swollen lips etc I came back with after the run. It all lasted about an hour and I've never eaten a souffle since. I do believe, based on that experience, that exercise and its associated physical effects can exacerbate an allergy reaction.
There are those on this forum who may be able to clear this up for you. Perhaps you could have a full range of allergy tests done in and effort to isolate the problem? You might then be in a position to approach the CAA with medical evidence that explained the mishap.

gingernut
4th Jul 2012, 00:22
some stuff here http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/413494-will-my-medical-history-barrier-class-1-a.html

nickyjsmith
7th Jul 2012, 11:10
As i can never fly solo again by the looks of it, the question is do i keep my rating up or just fly now and again with an instructor or just with somebody else ?

Miken100
8th Jul 2012, 08:07
Anaphylactic Shock is a specific, very strong immune response to one or more specific allergens (to which you have become 'sentisised'). The most common 'culprits' include nuts, bee/wasp sting, shellfish, animal dander, pollen, certain moulds etc.... I haven't ever heard of exercise inducing anaphylaxis but latex and 'elastoplast' are also culprits so this could have been the cause in the gym!

As advised above you could do with isolating the allergen; this would mean you could then take specific avoiding action although I don't know if this would satisfy the CAA (however it may well spare you having future attacks!).

The only other consideration I have for you is.. do you carry antihistamine besides the Epipen?.... Adrenaline is very effective but the effects only last around 15 minutes and if an ambulance is delayed a dose of Chlorpheniramine could also help prevent/delay the onset of serious complications.

Hope you manage to get this sorted... must be extremely frustrating..

Mike

Loose rivets
8th Jul 2012, 16:04
I tried to make this funny, but believe me, I thought I was dying. Thank God I'd finished flying because there is no way I could have controlled the aircraft.

But here's a thing. Having a couple of duff discs, ( I was being stretched at Clacton hospital) I often go up to my workbench or hook my belt on a chair seat and pull up. One day I got a really good 'adjustment.'

I reacted with a feeling I get sometimes. Very like a chemical is rushing around my body. Searched for a reason for years, but nothing conclusive. Anyway, it dawned on me that I might be altering my spinal fluid in some way that results in a reaction. This is not just one of my many idle speculations, I put it to a PhD researcher, and he thought "maybe."

Now you've had a reaction after a workout. Just another tick in the logic box.

The itching hands I had belie this of course - that was severe. But who knows?

Oh, note my comment about my first officer. Needless to say, he had a Class 1 medical. Just a case of being sure what caused the reaction.

http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/297324-delicate-question-manners-part-ii-2.html#post3654185

>>>

nickyjsmith
15th Jul 2012, 21:31
Thanks for the reply, on advice rom the immunologist i take a antihistamine daily. Not a clue what the alergen is, never happened before and not since. I was back in the gym within the week (Epipens in locker !!), even after food and have eaten within the hour after too, no reaction at all.
As a matter of interest, i'd never heard of exercise causing it either...untill i read the leafelt that i keep in my wallet that came with the pen's, it's one of the main non food causes.

Miken100
16th Jul 2012, 16:41
Interesting Nicky...

I found this article Medscape: Medscape Access (http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/886641-overview) which is reasonably comprehensive... there is a suggestion that pure exercise can induce this (was a 'new one' to me so thanks for pointing this out) but also in many cases the reaction is associated with a trigger food and lists the possible culprits.

One thing perhaps to test the medics at the CAA; if the reaction is purely induced by exercise, then why would you get it sitting in a cockpit when you aren't taking any exercise?

Thanks for the update.

Mike

homonculus
16th Jul 2012, 19:45
Because if you believe this - I say this becaus many doctors don't - then the possible mechanism is airway contracltility due to hypersensitivity and is set off by turbulence in the airways or changes in temperature in the airways

So depressurisation or even hyperventilation with anxiety or fear could be a trigger