PDA

View Full Version : Reports of 2 RAF planes crashing in Moray firth

piesupper
3rd Jul 2012, 14:05
Twitter says 2 RAF aircraft down in the Moray Firth.

Paul Clarkson ‏@Clarkson77
Reports of 2 RAF planes crashing in Moray firth
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

rp122
3rd Jul 2012, 14:09
From that txting site, they are saying these are two Tornado GR4's.

@duff_steven

SRENNAPS
3rd Jul 2012, 14:11
Just seen this:

BBC News - Search after two RAF jets crashed in Moray Firth (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-18692532)

Lets just hope for the best they are all ok.

TorqueOfTheDevil
3rd Jul 2012, 14:39
Lets just hope for the best they are all ok.

Yes indeed, both the Tornado crewmembers and those carrying out the rescue.

peppermint_jam
3rd Jul 2012, 14:41
Hope all involved got out and are safe.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
3rd Jul 2012, 14:42
Hoping that they are all OK.

Duncs:ok:

rp122
3rd Jul 2012, 14:47
Two taken to Raigmore hospital, search ongoing.

Ivor Fynn
3rd Jul 2012, 14:49
Thanks for the update. I just hope the other two are OK.

Ivor

jamier
3rd Jul 2012, 14:50
If anyone has anymore info can they pm me please, was at Lossie till last year. Hoping and praying both crews got out ok.

red zebra
3rd Jul 2012, 14:51
BBC saying one a/c in the water, the other classed as "missing", no reports on the second crew yet

oxenos
3rd Jul 2012, 14:56
Beeb now reporting 2 rescued

rp122
3rd Jul 2012, 14:59
RNLI boats launched from Wick, Invergordon and Buckie.

getsometimein
3rd Jul 2012, 15:03
The story here (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/News/Wick-Lifeboat-sent-to-crash-in-Beatrice-Oilfield.htm?) along with AIS data from the SAR Helo (http://www.shipais.com/shiptrail.php?mmsi=111232501) leads to the conclusion of a crash into/around the area of the Beatrice Rig Complex...

Hope the other 2 are found soon and found safe, Helo back on its way out now from the look of it...

MPN11
3rd Jul 2012, 15:04
Bad news, gentlemen. Fingers crossed for the other crew.

WereBear
3rd Jul 2012, 15:09
Any casualties?

rp122
3rd Jul 2012, 15:11
RNLI say crash is circa 25miles South of Wick, lifeboats on scene.

cornish-stormrider
3rd Jul 2012, 15:14
Aaaah Bugger - here's hoping we get four more Tie recipients from Mr Martin and Mr Baker.........

C'mon guys we need some good news this week. Jets can be replaced...
Here's hoping they all got out ok.
BZ to all the rescue crews busting guts to find them.

CS

edit - story I found in the torygraph.

5 Forward 6 Back
3rd Jul 2012, 15:15
Rubbish :(

Fingers well and truly crossed for good news, soon, about the other crew. Get well soon to the guys in hospital, and enormous thank-yous to the guys out searching.

rp122
3rd Jul 2012, 15:27
Search and rescue aircraft tracking here -

ShipAIS - Latest AIS for SAR aircraft (http://www.shipais.com/showship.php?mmsi=111232501)

appears to be just one on scene -

ShipAIS - Ship Search (http://www.shipais.com/search.php)

Fintastic
3rd Jul 2012, 15:29
Fingers crossed for the crews.

just another jocky
3rd Jul 2012, 16:18
If anyone has anymore info can they pm me please, was at Lossie till last year. Hoping and praying both crews got out ok.

Same here, was on the force for 20+ years, left last year so PM's welcomed.

Glad 2 are safe, hope they recover quickly. Prayers for those missing , thoughts are with their families, friends & colleagues.

subsonicsubic
3rd Jul 2012, 16:25
Stopped to show the missus the Commando monument near Spean Bridge just after 1300 local. While the scenery was spectacular, the pair of gr4s tracking east down the great glen held our attention. My guess is they were "targetting" the swing bridge further down the glen. What a beautiful day it was for flying. Hoping the 2nd crew are recovered safe.

HUDcripple
3rd Jul 2012, 17:02
...praying for a happy ending...

heli-cal
3rd Jul 2012, 17:13
BBC Radio 4 just reported it (unsurprisingly) as a midair collision.

Bigpants
3rd Jul 2012, 17:28
From what I have just heard not a happy ending for one of the two recovered.

Not willing to provide details so please do not ask.

General thoughts as an ex GR1 driver. Its a hard and dangerous business and the RAF has maintained a very good safety record on the GR1/4 fleet.

From time to time even the best of us make mistakes, when they occur at low altitiude and high speed the results are usually fatal.

Thoughts go out to the families.

Bigpants

That SAR Chap
3rd Jul 2012, 17:29
The AIS is only showing the Coastguard helo. There will be others in the area - not all have AIS.

Good luck to all involved.

Ivor Fynn
3rd Jul 2012, 17:44
Torque,

a bad day today I fear. Thoughts with all at Lossie

Ivor

Gp Capt L Mandrake
3rd Jul 2012, 17:44
Keeping everything crossed for all involved. Thoughts with families and all Tonka boys and girls. Bad day out.....

RAFEngO74to09
3rd Jul 2012, 17:46
Stn Cdr RAF Lossiemouth confirming loss of 2 aircraft on BBC but no other details:

BBC News - Two missing after two RAF Tornados crash in Moray Firth (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-18692532)

with a transcript here on MOD website:

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Defence Policy and Business | UPDATED: RAF Tornado incident (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/UpdatedRafTornadoIncident.htm)

Navaleye
3rd Jul 2012, 17:54
Not going to speculate on causes but a safe outcome for all is all that matters. I know all the folks up there will be at 101% to get the right result.

Navaleye

wizdimic
3rd Jul 2012, 17:57
My thoughts and prayers are with all concerned.

From an ex-FJ mate.

glad rag
3rd Jul 2012, 17:57
Not going to speculate on causes but a safe outcome for all is all that matters. I know all the folks up there will be at 101% to get the right result.

Well said.

Rakshasa
3rd Jul 2012, 18:00
Fingers crossed for the crews and best wishes to everyone at Lossiemouth on a difficult day.

JMP6
3rd Jul 2012, 18:06
Fingers are very firmly crossed.

Hoping for the best.

Kengineer-130
3rd Jul 2012, 18:21
Let's hope it's a good outcome for everyone, a mild comfort is at least the best SAR in the world is out there for the guys!

earwigger
3rd Jul 2012, 18:39
It has been reported that there was thick fog in the area at the time. Fingers crossed for some good news on the other crew.

SRENNAPS
3rd Jul 2012, 18:45
Stn Cdr RAF Lossiemouth confirming loss of 2 aircraft on BBC but no other details:

I knew Ian very well at Bruggen when we all served together on a superb Tonka Sqn. My thoughts go to him because I know he will be hurting at this time. My thoughts also go to all family and friends of those involved.

fisbangwollop
3rd Jul 2012, 19:13
Shipais.com showing SAR Helo still on task at 1948......we all live in hope and fingers crossed though the Scottish TV news saying very poor vis in the search area with sea fog.

YellaRednGrey
3rd Jul 2012, 19:34
This site's more user friendly: Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions (http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/)
It's showing R100 heading back to Stornoway, hopefully for a crew change and return to the scene. Not heard anything from SARF media, presumably Lossie SAR are still on task? Thoughts are with the families and colleagues.

Sven Sixtoo
3rd Jul 2012, 19:55
RAF SAR don't have AIS transmit. I don't think they ever got AIS receive either - certainly not before I left.

Sumburgh may have gone home - they have had a long day - but I'm sure Lossie will still be at it - and RCC have to work at maintaining some asets at readiness for other calls.

Pray.

Tashengurt
3rd Jul 2012, 20:02
My thoughts with all affected, at Lossie and beyond.

mad_jock
3rd Jul 2012, 20:02
Its 300m in FG in Wick just now.

Tide still coming in until 22:00z the low was at 15:39.

Baldeep Inminj
3rd Jul 2012, 20:37
Very sad news indeed and whilst we know these things happen, we all prey that they won't. We fly in blissful denial of the statistics, and trust in our skill, our crew, and in providence. Unfortunately, providence is a cruel mistress, and does not always favour the brave, talented, or right.
We must take solace in the fact that the best SAR force in the world is looking for them, and won't stop whilst hope exists.
Whatever the outcome, those involved are heroes, in the true 'dan dare' sense,.and should be always known as such.

Wee Weasley Welshman
3rd Jul 2012, 20:42
Prayers here.

plinkplinkfizz
3rd Jul 2012, 20:51
All my thoughts are with those directly involved and the wider Lossie community. Alkaseltza.

L J R
3rd Jul 2012, 21:03
As always, it is hard when your aircraft is involved.

Tiger_mate
3rd Jul 2012, 21:13
As always, it is hard when your aircraft is involved.

I think you underestimate the bond between fellow airmen. Everybody with aviation in their blood will be feeling this right now.

BD757
3rd Jul 2012, 21:20
I'm not a member of the military family but my thoughts and prayers are with those involved as well as their family, friends and colleagues. fingers crossed for a positive outcome to the search.

Mil Bill
3rd Jul 2012, 21:21
There are reports coming in that one of the 2 crew members that were rescued has died in hospital.

RIP and thoughts to everyone involved.

RAF airman dies in hospital after Tornado crash | Metro.co.uk (http://www.metro.co.uk/news/904108-raf-airman-dies-in-hospital-after-tornado-crash)

seadrills
3rd Jul 2012, 21:30
Very true. Im a rotary winged aviator but my pain is as deep as anyones. My hopes and prayers are with all my FW friends and colleagues in Scotland.

PPRuNeUser0178
3rd Jul 2012, 21:42
617 hosted my family and I last year for a visit and as someone who is both a fellow aviator and huge admirer of the RAF I am struggling to sleep tonight thinking of those missing and those on sea and in air continuing the search.

All my thoughts and prayers are with all the Lossie community tonight.

500N
3rd Jul 2012, 21:48
My thoughts with family and friends, hoping for the best for all involved.

Mil Bill
3rd Jul 2012, 21:57
The SAR effort has been called off due to weather according to BBC

Unusual Attitude
3rd Jul 2012, 21:59
BBC reporting search has been called off for tonight due to bad weather, to be resumed first thing tomorrow.

My thoughts with all involved.

Ticked all the boxes
3rd Jul 2012, 22:05
Everything I can cross is currently crossed but I fear the worst. My thoughts are with family and friends at this most distressing of times. I do hope for good news.

PURPLE PITOT
3rd Jul 2012, 22:06
Unless i have missed an official statement, i suspect the Metro article has been cobbled together from speculation on here.

Best we stop now.

Hoping for the best.

PP

SilsoeSid
3rd Jul 2012, 22:31
Thoughts and prayers with all involved.

Ron Burgundy
3rd Jul 2012, 22:34
Here's hoping for good news. Best wishes to the Lossie crew tonight.

ditchvisitor
3rd Jul 2012, 22:54
Thoughts and prayers with all the guys at Lossie, lets not spectulate and fuel the media at this time of worry, had a beer in the mess tonight thinking of you guys and hope for good news tomorrow.

6foottanker
4th Jul 2012, 00:35
Hoping for some positive news later, and I know many of the family and friends must have been sitting, staring at the front door or waiting for the phone to ring, waiting for news. Another reminder of the constant danger of the job, a danger which is defied daily by our skilled airmen and taken for granted or maligned by so many of our countrymen.

6'

Leaky
4th Jul 2012, 02:45
Very sad news indeed - heard about it on the way to work a couple of hours ago. Thoughts and prayers to all involved at this very distressing time.

Leaky

Arfur Dent
4th Jul 2012, 05:37
Doesn't really matter what you flew in the RAF, you feel compassion for those involved right now. I left the FJ world some time ago. Many good people didn't come back from my world and we miss them occasionally but remember them always. We knew the risks and accepted the challenges - lady luck has smiled on all of us from time to time but, once in a while all the elements contrive for her to frown. We did what we did because we were above bloody average and loved it. We spat in the face of danger and challenged it daily. Bring it on!! Hopefully the guys were having fun, didn't expect it to end like this and wouldn't wish to go any other way. RIP and thank you fellas. Thoughts always with those left behind.

Vortex 22
4th Jul 2012, 05:52
Well said Sir :ok:

Thelma Viaduct
4th Jul 2012, 06:17
Thoughts are with the crew and their families.

Geehovah
4th Jul 2012, 06:46
Well said Arfur, couldn't have said it better

Adding my thoughts and best wishes and hoping for good news.

fisbangwollop
4th Jul 2012, 07:56
BBC News - Tornado jet crash: MoD reviews search for missing crew (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-18700794)

just another jocky
4th Jul 2012, 08:26
BBC TV news just reported that the search has not been resumed this morning.

Very sad time.

side salad
4th Jul 2012, 08:55
sad day, thoughts with the families and the station.

Winco
4th Jul 2012, 09:06
Heard the news last night, just terribly sad.

Never been a FJ pilot - just not good enough frankly! so huge respect to all you guys and girls in the FJ world.

My thoughts and prayers to all those involved at this saddest of times and to the wider RAF family as a whole. Be strong for each other.

Winco

Snapshot
4th Jul 2012, 09:19
Perfect words and description arfur
My thoughts go to their families and all at Lossie and surrounding RAF establishments

Ron Burgundy
4th Jul 2012, 11:24
As a former GR4 driver, I am sickened by the this terrible news. My thoughts and prayers go out to all of the Lossie crew. There will be some long days ahead and my best wishes go out to you all during this awful time.

Action900
4th Jul 2012, 12:40
I have felt compelled to register with PPRuNe to add my condolences and deep sympathy to the families and friends of those affected by yesterday's incident in the Moray Firth. I was posted from Lossie only a few months ago and I can appreciate how everyone is feeling, even those who are employed in a ground branch like me. My heart goes out to all in the Lossie community, both on and off the base - it is a tight knit community up there and I know that everyone will be supporting each other during this difficult time. It is at times like this that the dangers of flying are brought home, but it is also a time when the RAF family and community support processes really kick in. To those who are missing, I am sure you are really free to spread your wings in a better place - reminds me of the words in 'High Flight' - rest in peace.

just another jocky
4th Jul 2012, 13:20
Sky News now reporting that the MoD has confirmed one of the 2 aircrew taken to hospital has died.

This just gets worse.

Condolences to his family, friends & colleagues.

jayteeto
4th Jul 2012, 13:32
Its on the MOD website, basic details as you would expect :sad:

Fox Four
4th Jul 2012, 13:40
How bloody awful, thoughts with all families.

BigGrecian
4th Jul 2012, 13:53
Per Adua ad Astra.

Rest in peace.

Our thoughts are with all those at Lossie and across the whole of the RAF community.

Duncan D'Sorderlee
4th Jul 2012, 13:55
BBC reporting one dead and 2 still missing.

BBC News - Tornado jet crash: One dead and two missing, feared dead (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-18700794)

RIP

Courtney Mil
4th Jul 2012, 14:03
Now the MoD is declaring 3 dead, one in a serious, but stable condition. So, so sad. My thoughts with the families, friends and colleagues.

Tinribs
4th Jul 2012, 14:35
I spent five years flying ABZ WCK for Eastern, I can't remember it ever looking a nice day on the sea. Anyone in that bit of og needs a lot of luck

By coincidence my own best crash, Kola peninsular, was today ten years ago. No one thought I would survive it so while there is nothing to report keep looking rescue boys and girls, good luck

madflyer26
4th Jul 2012, 14:36
Sad sad news. Masive respect to all those flying in defence of our country. Condolences to the families of those lost in this incident. May your grief be alleviated by the very fact they were killed doing a job that they loved.

MF26

Duncan D'Sorderlee
4th Jul 2012, 14:46
The MOD News item:

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | Defence Policy and Business | UPDATED: RAF Tornado incident (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/UpdatedRafTornadoIncident.htm)

Thoughts and prayers to all on XV.

TommyTornado
4th Jul 2012, 15:05
A tragedy has taken our finest once again...

Not much to say except my most heartfelt condolences to those family and friends dealing with the most awful news imaginable, and that they have the strength to come through these dark days... and let us not forget those out there still searching and recovering, with the unenviable task of seeing this through to its conclusion.

I will be raising a glass tonight, like many other in the GR world... and I dare say the mess at Lossie will be burning some things this evening.

Sorry I can't be with you fellas

R.I.P

SOSL
4th Jul 2012, 15:36
I didn't know them but, with respect, I imagine:

They were just good mates doing a job they love
Now they've gone to the gardens above
When they were here with us on earth
They gave us Joy and fun and mirth
We won't forget them, we'll always miss them
But today we pray the Lord will kiss them

Hopes and prayers for the survivor and the families.

Deep respect to them and the whole force.

Sincerely SOS

Vortex 22
4th Jul 2012, 16:28
Very well put SOSL, I for one will be raising a glass this evening for the fallen.

glad rag
4th Jul 2012, 17:20
BBC News - Tornado jet crash: One dead and two missing, feared dead (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-18700794)

I was going to comment on the unconnected "family member" statement but think that silent contempt is a better reaction.

Really, what a thing for the BBC to "report" at this time. :mad:

NDW
4th Jul 2012, 17:32
Cannot express my sympathies enough for the families and friends who have lost a loved one, and so soon after three other British soldiers lost their lives.

RIP - you've done your country proud

maxburner
4th Jul 2012, 17:52
Rest in peace chaps. May God comfort their families.

Al R
4th Jul 2012, 18:52
My condolences to families and loved ones; there are folk here who would give anything to ease your pain and one day, I hope you are able to read this thread and draw a little comfort from it. Lossie will dig deep and pull through together; the crews would demand nothing less. Professional always.

saudih
4th Jul 2012, 18:58
Very sad news and tough times for all involved.

I know from witnessing the reaction from the crowds at Cosford over the past 2 years that the display by the GR4s of XV was one of awe, respect and envy. As an ex GR1 operator, back in the day, sadly these things happened more regularly. The feeling felt at the news of loss of fellow aviators doesn't change. Although, as I've probably got both airframes in my log book, I know what LJR was trying to say.

It's only natural for relatives to feel anger at this time. Don Henley summed up the media's hunger for "news" in his song dirty laundry..... I will never forget the scruffy camera crew invading the funeral of a Sqn pilot some years ago.........

"High Flight" is a moving and exceedingly well written Sonnet (particularly when you remember the author was just 19 yrs old when he wrote it and was killed in a mid air collision shortly afterwards).

Fast Low and Feeling free.... U tube, that's a pretty good reminder of the reasons I loved the job that I did: Unless the GR force has changed markedly I expect it's nearer the mark that these guys did so as well.

Lima Juliet
4th Jul 2012, 19:11
Windy - he would get my vote every time, hat or no hat!

Very sad news and there by the grace of God go I. Once again I raise a glass to something that I have been witness to too many times in 23 years; but I, like I am sure they would, would do it all again.

Rest In Peace my bomber-puke buddies...:(

LJ

bakseetblatherer
4th Jul 2012, 19:34
R I P mud movers. My thoughts to your families and friends, and all the guys n gals at Lossie. Best of luck in the recovery of the crew that is in hospital.

ShyTorque
4th Jul 2012, 19:43
Terrible, awful loss. My sincere condolences to all directly affected by this.

I note that the fabled aviation expert, "Jim Ferguson" has again been quoted in the Telegraph. Does any one know of his aviation background i.e. what makes him an aviation expert?

MATELO
4th Jul 2012, 20:16
not the first, not the last... but never forgotten. RIP guys

seven4mankind
4th Jul 2012, 20:30
Such sad, terrible news.

Thoughts, love and prayers to those who have been lost and to their families and friends.

God's Speed

Hummingfrog
4th Jul 2012, 20:33
As an ex Lossie SAR pilot may I also offer my condolences to the families of the aircrew tragically killed and injured in this terrible accident.

There was nothing worse, when answering the scramble phone, than to hear that one of our own was missing. The need to find them became a driving force - nevermind the weather we would launch in the hope of finding them safe and well.

To find them safe and sound was fantastic but to fail to find them was horrible - could we have done better, where we searching in the right place, had we missed them?

HF

Bill Macgillivray
4th Jul 2012, 20:37
My thoughts and sympathies are with their kin.

I am raising a glass to the guys right now. RIP.

Bill.

NutLoose
4th Jul 2012, 20:53
Words fail me, and nothing one could possibly say will bring any Solace to the families who's lives have been torn apart by such tragic circumstances, one hopes and prays for them.
And if any crumb of comfort can be gained from these tragic events it is in the fact that they died doing something they obviously loved..... Rest In Peace Guys, and blue skies...

RumPunch
4th Jul 2012, 21:21
RIP Guys, Raising my glass and having a few beers now

DeaconBlue
4th Jul 2012, 21:23
Words cannot express the loss of these brave aviators. May God keep them for his own and comfort their families.

Pure Pursuit
4th Jul 2012, 21:50
My heart goes out to the survivor and the families of all involved.

Speedy recover to the person in hospital. I can only imagine the emotions you are going through.

RIP to the lost.

Squirrel 41
4th Jul 2012, 22:01
RIP. Speedy recovery for the injured. All the families in thoughts and prayers.

S41

peppermint_jam
4th Jul 2012, 22:07
Such a sad story. Thoughts with the families and friends. Glass raised tonight.

November4
4th Jul 2012, 22:11
Thoughts are with the families and friends of those who didn't make it back.

RIP

Flying_Scotsman
5th Jul 2012, 00:20
As an ex-GR man of many years I know that I will recognise all the names when they are released. God Speed!

Navaleye
5th Jul 2012, 01:18
Terribly sad news. My thoughts yet again are with family, friends and colleagues. I know everyone was pulling for good news. There is nothing I can say to relieve the pain for what is an awful tragedy. All my thoughts.

White None
5th Jul 2012, 06:05
Trash Hauling now but always a Fin Man - people all over the world saying a prayer for all concerned

Duma
5th Jul 2012, 06:28
Hoping for a swift recovery for the injured. Condolences to the family and friends of the lost.

Firefox84
5th Jul 2012, 07:12
Terribly sad news. Heart felft condolences to all involved.

What makes it that little bit more poingnant is that both aircraft were from XV sqn (OCU) and were more than likely crewed by young student pilot's/wso's.

Such a terrible loss and a waste of great talent.

RIP.

tonkaplonka
5th Jul 2012, 09:30
My sincere condolences to all those involved. RIP.

From an ex 15(r) techie.

SM2
5th Jul 2012, 10:29
Now flying a desk but an ex GR1 nav by trade and still at heart. Deepest condolences to all on XV and, especially, all families and friends. Particular wishes to the hospitalised crewman for a full and speedy physical and mental recovery.

ditchvisitor
5th Jul 2012, 11:38
Just named on BBC news :( RIP H

Cows getting bigger
5th Jul 2012, 11:40
Link

BBC News - Tornado jet crash: Three victims named by MoD (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-18720128)

wizdimic
5th Jul 2012, 11:52
Very sad news to learn the names of those involved in this tragic incident. I knew Hywel Poole at Linton and enjoyed a beer or two with him. My thoughts and prayers are with all family, friends and staff at Lossie. RIP

muppetofthenorth
5th Jul 2012, 11:56
Spent a long while with Adam while he was holding with my UAS. Gone much too soon, RIP mate :(

Fox Four
5th Jul 2012, 12:07
To the boys and girls on XV, my thoughts are with you all.

Aim Sure guys.

Training Risky
5th Jul 2012, 12:23
RIP fellas one and all:(

I met Sam Bailey 10 years ago when he and Fi were first married. If you read this Fi - my most heartfelt condolences should the worst be confirmed...

Ben - ex 18 Sqn.

RS15
5th Jul 2012, 12:47
Dreadful news. Heart goes out to all involved and connected. RIP
ex-SAR

Refreshing change on here to see no early names and arm chair investigators.

MostlyHarmless
5th Jul 2012, 13:42
Quite agree, RS15.

Heartfelt sympathy to all and hope for a swift recovery.

ALI-SAFARI-IR.
5th Jul 2012, 14:22
ITS a bad news for families -and society for missing 4 fighter pilot.

its a bad end for tornadoes.

flipster
5th Jul 2012, 15:07
My most sincere condolences to all the families and friends - and 'Best of British' to the survivor in hopsital.

To those left to carry on - the military has an odd but effective greiving process that helps ease the pain, as I am sure you are discovering. Having experienced that shock in the past (and remembering it only too well), you will remain grateful for the many friends around you at this sad time; united in grief and united going forward. I am sure all on the sqn will pull together and stand tall.

RIP chaps

just another jocky
5th Jul 2012, 17:47
Where to begin...flew with Sam on XIII Sqn numerous occasions over Iraq, on loads of dets overseas and back in Blighty. One of life's nicest blokes, nothing ever phased him, he was really chilled and a great WSO. A tragic loss.

Knew Adam when he went through training, possibly flew with him as his QFI but will need to check my logbook. Far too young.

Didn't know Hywell, but Godspeed to a better place fella.

I've known xxx almost as long as I've been in the RAF, flew alongside him on 17(F) back in the 90's and again on XV(R). Get well soon m8, though I suspect the scars from this will stay with you a long time.

My heartfelt condolences to all the families, friends and colleagues of our lost buddies.

I would dearly like to pay my respects to Sam so if anyone is aware of any funeral details once announced, I'd appreciate a PM. Thanks.

essexlad
5th Jul 2012, 18:13
Totally lost for words....
Was a pleasure to work for all of you on the mighty XV
Rest in peace sirs

Essexlad

Chugalug2
5th Jul 2012, 18:46
So very sad that this tragedy has now cost three lives. May they Rest In Peace. I agree with flip, it is now that the Service family really shows its mettle. Thoughts for those left to grieve and the hope that the lone survivor makes a full and complete recovery.
If this be the price of Admiralty...

nice castle
5th Jul 2012, 20:12
My thoughts and condolences are with the families. I sincerely hope for a full and swift recovery for the injured chap.

Their wings were forever folded doing a job they adored.

God speed.

Courtney Mil
5th Jul 2012, 20:54
Ideed, Ali. Sad for everyone.

Now all wish for at least one good outcome.

707-348C
5th Jul 2012, 23:31
Flying at Lossie today, though on a weather hold when the CO made his heartbreaking announcement. The sense of loss was so poignant. A moment I'll never forget.

To all the family, friends and colleagues of those lost, my sincere condolences. And the hope for you all, that with every passing day, your pain gets a tiny bit easier to bear.

All our prayers now for the recovery of the fourth crew member.

Skeleton
6th Jul 2012, 00:46
Did 2 tours at Lossie but not on the Fin. My thoughts are with all concerned today.

My prayers are with the survivor.

RIP.

HallamPilot
6th Jul 2012, 10:22
Worked the flightline at XV(R) for quite some time, and I strapped in Sqn Ldr Bailey (or Flt Lt, as he was back then) a fair few times. He always had time for a chat with us oiks. Bloody nice bloke.

My heartfelt condolences to all friends, family and the wider Lossie community and I pray for a positive outcome for the survivor.

Aim Sure.

Because I fly
I laugh more than other men
I look up and see more than they,
I know how the clouds feel,
What it's like to have the blue in my lap,
To look down on birds,
To feel freedom in a thing called the stick...

Who but I can slice between God's billowed legs,
And feel the laugh and crash with His step
Who else has seen the unclimbed peaks?
The rainbow's secret?
The real reason birds sing?
Because I Fly,
I envy no man on earth.

RIP

Craven Moorhed
6th Jul 2012, 10:44
RIP Chaps....

'Twas a pleasure to have taught Ad and H to fly the Hawk, god speed gentlemen

isaneng
6th Jul 2012, 14:46
Let us hope that the recent location of the wreckage might provide some answers and perhaps some solace.

RodfjH
6th Jul 2012, 16:27
My condolences to all at Lossiemouth.

NutLoose
6th Jul 2012, 16:43
They are reporting finding the aircraft, hopefully they can soon be recovered

Wreckage of crashed Tornados found - UK News - MSN News UK (http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=250499503)

:sad:

Exascot
10th Jul 2012, 17:22
A rather tragic coincidence.

RAF Tornado crash: Helicopter rescue pilot was wife of missing airman - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/defence/9389757/RAF-Tornado-crash-Helicopter-rescue-pilot-was-wife-of-missing-airman.html)

NDW
10th Jul 2012, 17:59
Absolutely dreadful.

Has there been any news on whether they have been able to recover the missing jet as yet?

Moose Loadie
10th Jul 2012, 20:38
Another piece of reporting full of inaccuracies. Having personally known both of these individuals for several years it makes me sick to read this stuff.

Stay strong Fi, my thoughts are with you.

TorqueOfTheDevil
10th Jul 2012, 21:05
Moose,

Couldn't agree more - how on earth can it be deemed appropriate to publish details of a victim's family, whether or not they have a professional connection to the tragic event? Strongly considering a snottogram to the Telegraph, bastion of good reporting, obviously...:ugh::ugh::ugh:

YellaRednGrey
10th Jul 2012, 21:24
Not just the Telegraph, Fi's photo was published on STV news tonight. I'm sure she'll welcome the finger pointing and tongue wagging when she's next in Tesco's. Why can't these vermin let her grieve for her still missing husband in peace. Stay strong Fi xx

adr
10th Jul 2012, 22:06
May they rest in peace.

And may their grieving relatives be left in peace.

A speedy recovery to the one who's in a "serious but stable condition."

adr

UrsaMinor
10th Jul 2012, 22:45
Joined to add condolences to family and friends of those involved. All thoughts and hopes are with you, that you may find strength to carry on from the time you shared with those involved.

Knew Sam as he joined the RAF. A professional from the early days. Good company on the hills, a questionable dance routine and annoyingly good at everything. One of those people who could make a wait in a parked car a riot. He was just fun. A more generous, committed to his friends and thoughtful soul would be hard to find. A large Sam shaped hole is left in life. Gone too soon.

anotherpruner
18th Jul 2012, 10:53
:(

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/RemainsOfFltLtAdamSandersRecoveredFromMorayFirth.

RIP Chap

occhips
18th Jul 2012, 11:13
Knew Adam on IOT and when i was OC Chips at Linton. Met H sailing for the RAF and roomed with him on sailing trips a couple of times and also knew him at Linton. The pair of them were all that was and is still good about life in a blue suit. Great people and whilst i am not well enough to travel to Bangor today to say goodbye to H, I know all there will say goodbye and raise a glass to all.

Bugger, must have some dust in my eyes....

Walrus75
18th Jul 2012, 15:20
Also on the BBC news site -- BBC News - RAF Lossiemouth Tornado crash off Wick: Remains of Flt Lt Adam Sanders found (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-18886787)

From the report it appears they may have found Sam Bailey too, let's hope that this is the case for the sake of Fi and her family.

RIP Gents.

Failed_Scopie
18th Jul 2012, 17:51
I was on that IOT course and knew both Sam and Fi (Fi somewhat better, but I distinctly remember doing some AT with Sam up at Grantown-on-Spey). It was a tragic end to a bad week. I hope that in due course Fi will find a sense of peace. F_S out.

anotherpruner
18th Jul 2012, 21:07
The families wait is finally over. I hope some solace can be sought and the long and painful road ahead is comforted somewhat with friends and family.

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/DefencePolicyAndBusiness/RemainsOfSqnLdrSamuelBaileyRecoveredFromMorayFirth.

:(

Per Ardua ad Astra

NDW
19th Jul 2012, 06:08
Agreed with anotherpruner.

RIP to all three Aircrew - you served your country proud.