PDA

View Full Version : Phoria surgery & CAA 's stand

Corkscrew
2nd Jul 2012, 23:35
It’s well known that many of eye problems are accepted within limits in most of aviation civil authorities including heterophoria problem.

I was trying to contact anonymously CAA UK regarding my issue, but they refused even to reply without providing my CAA reference number. And I am not willing to raise the subject and redo all the tests just because of an inquiry.

I passed my initial medical test at Gatwick many years ago with my phoria problem which they accepted because it’s within their limit after many tests I have taken there. And I have been renewing my Licence ever since without any problem.

People with phoria are suffering from more eye fatigue than others with normal eyes. Nowadays, with the new techniques in eye muscles operations, a person can get rid of 95% of this fatigue after a routine surgery.

When you review all aviation authorities’ medical guides they mentioned LASIK and cataract surgeries and their requirements for recovery and reissuing the Licence, but nothing regarding phoria surgery.

I am flying with this fatigue over 9 years and didn’t have any problem in flying, although sometimes it’s annoying in everyday life.

I read in this forum that someone had this surgery for a cosmetic reason which I don’t need. I am looking for other pilots experience with such issue:

Has anyone experienced this before?

Did anyone go through this operation? What was CAA stand of it?

If anyone had try it, did they benefit or not?