PDA

View Full Version : Farnborough Airshow 2012. Can you get inside any aircraft?

Andrew R
2nd Jul 2012, 18:32
Hi there. The Farnborough Airshow starts really soon and I was wondering on the public days is it possible to get inside any of the static aircraft?

On their website (Farnborough 2012 | Static Aircraft Display (http://www.farnborough.com/aircraft/public-static-display-aircraft)) they list the static aircraft which includes some commercial aircraft such as the A380, A318 etc. Can you/will you be able to get inside these aircraft and if not how close can you get to them?

Also I see there is week long trade exhibition. Is it possible to get into Farnborough these days or do you need to be connected to the industry somehow?

Thanks very much.

DaveReidUK
2nd Jul 2012, 22:28
Also I see there is week long trade exhibition. Is it possible to get into Farnborough these days or do you need to be connected to the industry
somehow?

If all else fails, you could always try reading the http://www.pprune.org/spectators-balcony-spotters-corner/489401-farnborough-trade-day.html thread.

Peter47
6th Jul 2012, 08:25
I've visited Farnborough a number of times, mostly on public days and only been able to get into one aircraft (Boeing were showing off the interior of the 777-300), so I'm afraid the answer is very unlikely.

D120A
6th Jul 2012, 13:21
You used, on the Public Days, to be able to walk through any airliner on display, often with a helpful company person on hand to enthuse about his product's special features.

You used to be able to walk round the tented exhibition and talk to representatives on each stand. They might have been the more junior members of their company's team, but they were there.

You used to be able to see a flying display during the Public Days that included every element seen during the trade week, plus much more laid on for the public's entertainment.

All past tense, I am afraid. So there is but one powerful reason to go to a Public Day at Farnborough this year: it may just be the last one.

DaveReidUK
7th Jul 2012, 18:32
Kids go free, though. :*

Skipness One Echo
7th Jul 2012, 20:39
Are you suggesting there will be no more Farnborough or just no more public days?

DaveReidUK
8th Jul 2012, 08:33
The Public Days will be packed, as ever, with punters who have paid their £35/£41 for entry.

I can't see the SBAC, or whatever they call themselves nowadays, passing up on all that revenue while the demand exists.

Gulf4uk
8th Jul 2012, 21:16
No idea where no publlc days has started but SBAC \FIA has already stated that the Exhibition halls may be open for that event all options are open.
This years event Lacks as most people Say Something new but its still going to be a good Show weather permitting. We are never going to see shows like the 1950s or 60s much the pity but what we have we need to keep. Farnborough although billed as an airshow its not strictly that its a TRADE show if you want an Airshow you go to RIAT or Southend or one of the many others .You pay your money your choice and people will in there thousands its still a good Show.
This year take Wellies and a Brollie you might need them

airshow mad FARNBOROUGH resident
(yes we do exist dspite the nimbys)

Offenbach
9th Jul 2012, 19:42
USAF C-17 crew were very happy to show off their aircraft, including flight deck access today......

Gulf4uk
9th Jul 2012, 20:03
seems there were some problems getting into the show today .Several Bad
Accidents on roads in the area .Weather caused the closure of Queens Avenue car park waterlogged we were told.
Question was asked but was deleted ? how do the locals get around well most are used to it and make arrangements or use back roads to get about . for my self its caused no problems but i have got a card on the windscreen saying Farnborough Local Resident this does help as we dont get shunted into lanes we dont want .All in all its 1 week every 2 years and a lot of money is put into the local economy yes i know the nimby brigade say this is not the case they would anyway . look around the area of A325 Near the Swan not Just Spotters but loads of people enjoying a good event .Comments from Friends today said that they had no problems with Security all very polite and friendly around the perimeter

Skipness One Echo
9th Jul 2012, 20:14
Put the suit and tie on and joined the party. There were quite a fair number of enthusiasts happily on site, that much was evident. The A388 and the B788 were highpoints, disappointing only in their complete lack of noise footprint;)

Quite nostalgic getting up close to the ex JAL DC10-40 as well.

DaveReidUK
9th Jul 2012, 20:30
Weather caused the closure of Queens Avenue car park waterlogged we were told.

That doesn't sound good. They usually pack thousands of cars in there, so many that I normally have trouble finding mine, I wonder where they are using instead ?

Gulf4uk
9th Jul 2012, 20:41
hi

Just had update on Queens Avenue Carpark its still closed and Signposted diversion to MOD Aldershot area. No real Heavy Rain today but like most areas we have had our Fair share.

mutt
10th Jul 2012, 01:31
I asked the original question Tony, but we didn't stay overnight as planned, just drop and go....

The line up on the exhibition side looked impressive.

Gulf4uk
10th Jul 2012, 10:02
Thanks Mutt A quick splash and dash then they say the Hotel room prices have increased by large amounts So good idea not to Stop.
Static looks good now Shame loads will go before Public sees them

mutt
10th Jul 2012, 19:05
At least we got to try the catering from the Aviator :) Real British style truck driver sandwiches :)

cheekychappie
11th Jul 2012, 08:30
I am staying at the Aviator on Saturday night ahead of the airshow on Sunday.

Did that a couple of years ago and although not cheap, its great for access and to mingle with the pilots in the bar on the Sat night

Gulf4uk
19th Jul 2012, 08:26
Just an update on events.

I Attended the Show on the Sunday using the Free bus Service from Farnborough Main Station which speedily went though the town into the 5 Bus Station with no delay. Getting through Security was no problem at all from G4S .Many people Looked Puzzled at the closed Halls many were very Annoyed .
Static Layout was pretty Awful for the photographer worst Ive ever seen.
Lot of moans over prices of Food and drink but what did people expect its like that at most events.
Display as always went Without a hitch but was a bit stretched out not a patch on previous shows but again people were told NO 787 Lots of annoyed people 2 years running Boeing removed before public Saw it Where Airbus flew the A380 even just the older F-WWDD , Own Goal Boeing.
Getting out again was orderly and Buses were quick and easy back to Station
Value For money no not really expensive Day out for a Fun Fair ride.
Disruption during the show week Minimal but others will no doubt Moan they always do.

Tony
farnborough Local:ok: