PDA

View Full Version : Redundancy

Bishy
2nd Jul 2012, 09:32
I have just been accepted for redundancy in the latest trache and what seemed like a great idea in afghan is all a little scary now. Particularly as I am doing the Olympics and will have less than three months to resettle (no the army will not extend me by three months so I get the full 6 months). I will be stuck on hms ocean with no Internet.
My plan is to go to Bristol and do all the exams wich I am allowing 2 months for and the I will open my licence on lynx.
My questions are what type rating should I do? Which company should I do it with? What jobs should I apply for i will have around 700 hours? Should I just do Cpl exams or the ATPL(H) package? Is there a cheaper way of doing the IR?
Any help or advice will be greatly appriceated as my £38000 redundancy package will not go that far and time is running out.

Robert G Mugabe
2nd Jul 2012, 11:23
Dear Bishy

I left the AAC back in 1999 but with over 2000 hrs on the mighty chicken leg. I did the ATPL(H) and left. On phoning Chief Pilots of Rotary companies they all said do the fixed wing conversions and then take that route.

I am of the opinion that the fixed wing commercial environment will not even look at you as the only way in is via CTC and other " pay to fly schemes " where you will need to fund everything and then not be elegible for a full time job.

I do not know how the civil rotary market is.

If I was you I would do the ATPL(H) but consider doing a MBA and go into management as that is where the money is.

Work for money and then fly for fun.

WASALOADIE
2nd Jul 2012, 11:44
pm sent to you Bishy

Doctor Cruces
2nd Jul 2012, 12:44
Friend of mine got CPL(H) and went looking. Most companies, I believe, aren't interested unless you have 1500hrs+ turbine time. Insurance I think.

Doc C

lynxgem
3rd Jul 2012, 00:41
I'd just take the hit and leave mate, and admit that flying is now no longer an option for you. (I left the AAC 2 years ago, 2000 hours and moved to NZ, now with the RNZAF). 700 hours, in the bigger scheme of things, is sod all and nor is 38k. Use it on something worthwhile and go down the resettlement route of something that you know will get you employment. Aviation is an intrinsically fragile beast, so even if you do manage to get a licence, which without wishing to be rude is debateable in the time you have available, you will be extremely fortunate to find a job with those hours. Most HEMS / PAS expect at least 1500 hrs. I cant see you studying much on ocean either, so you will have to be doing all this study / Bristol stuff after you leave i assume? (Notwithstanding finding a place to live etc etc). Mind, you could always go on the boat and develop a really bad cold and not fly - thereby giving you time to study????:rolleyes: Or retract your redundancy application and crack on with the "walking through glue" to go flying that is typical AAC SOPs. Best of luck. (All your uncertainty takes me back, and i dont envy you in the slightest).

Bishy
3rd Jul 2012, 08:54
Guys,
Thank you very much for that. I have heard that life is not as Rosey as one would hope on the civvie side but after 11 years of being screwed around it is time to go!
Air police you are fortunate not to have served on one of her majesties vessels. You cannot get reception in side even in the centre of London. So therefore my iPhone personal hotspot is useless unless I go to the flight deck where phones are banned as are we unless we are flying.
Does anyone know what the Riggs are like?

mad_jock
3rd Jul 2012, 09:40
If its any help last time is was in at the flying school there were a couple of lads hour building who had been released from service while at valley and they were off to CTC and then onto easyjet.

helo425
3rd Jul 2012, 17:24
Best of luck to all those going out the door.

helo425
3rd Jul 2012, 17:52
Best of luck to all those going out the door.