PDA

View Full Version : Bristows Trinidad Operation

AndyJB32
2nd Jul 2012, 08:20
Has anyone got any experience and advice about the Bristow Trinidad operation?

My wife and i have 2 young kids (18 months and 3 and 1/2 years) and would be interested to hear anyones opinion about both the working conditions and also general quality of life if i applied for work there.

Many thanks.

Adam Nams
2nd Jul 2012, 11:54
You should be aware that there are high levels of violent crime, especially shootings and kidnappings.*British nationals have been victims of violent attacks, particularly in Tobago where law enforcement is weak.*

And

There is an underlying threat from terrorism.*Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places frequented by expatriates and foreign travellers.

I wonder if this is a true reflection.

parabellum
2nd Jul 2012, 11:58
Some friends of mine did at least two full 'tours' there and loved it, they had young kids too but that was quite a while ago. I heard the operation changed a lot when it 'nationalised'. Suggest you do some research, contact some Bristow people, if you can.

SASless
2nd Jul 2012, 12:13
Lots of crime there....and always has been.

But then that could be said of Manchester and a lot of other places in the UK.

It is not a Tropical Paradise for sure.

Loerie
2nd Jul 2012, 12:25
I have been travelling to Trinidad (and Tobago) for the past 20-odd years,right up to last year in November and generally stay for around 3 months at a time.
It is a vibrant,fast-moving exciting Country and is the most advanced of all of the West Indies with spectacular scenery and lots to do.I have never,in all the years,had any trouble anywhere,but I do take reasonable care,as I would in any heavily populated area.There was some wide-spread crime last year at which time the Army were called in to assist the Police in searches and there was,for a time,a time allowance to be on the streets at night.The crime all seemed to be drug-related but many other questionable operations were rolled up at that time.There is great wealth (oil) and of course the converse---great poverty in some areas and the middle class do seem to be less----to an outsider,anyway.
I would go in a heartbeat;Some really nice accomodations are available in some really nice areas,excellent shopping malls in fact,all most folks could wish for.
Just pay attention to your surroundings and you should be fine.

Loerie
2nd Jul 2012, 12:29
I have been living in the Tropics for over 20 years.
There are no "Tropical Paradise"(s).....just like living anywhere else,with all that everyone else has.....work to put food on the table etc.

AndyJB32
2nd Jul 2012, 15:02
Thanks for the help.
Andy

alfasprite
3rd Jul 2012, 23:40
Out of interest Andy, are you looking at the oil & gas ops or the Air guard SAR?

I've not experienced any violence or troubles working there by the way. However, the local attitude of 'keep Trinidad for only the hard-done-by Trinnies' (in their eyes only) becomes tiresome very quickly.