PDA

View Full Version : P206A

NzCaptainAndrew
1st Jul 2012, 14:48
Recently dug up this on PPRUNE.

"They've got a few little "gotchas" that one should be aware of. The extra fuel drains under the belly in the kidney sumps at the base of the wing struts are one...a lot of people miss them. The cessna fuel flow fluctuation procedure is another....the one in the book can cause an unrecoverable engine failure, if followed. Another is the long range tanks; fill to the bottom of the filler neck and you're an hour short on each side. I've known a couple of pilots who made unplanned off-field forced landings as a result. Plan ahead."

I know about the fuel drains and fluctuation procedure....

I dont understand the comment about the long range tanks...

I fly a 206 with longrange tanks and they take around 150L aside....

172driver
1st Jul 2012, 16:00
I've never flown a 206 (my experience in 200-series Cessnas is on 210s), but if these tanks are similar to the 172RG with long-range tanks I normally fly, then the comment is valid. If you don't fill these tanks until they overflow, you are about one to one and a half hours short.

This is a real issue with line personnel who think they've topped off but in reality haven't. In fact just that happened to me a few weeks ago. ALWAYS check these tanks yourself after any refueling!

Pilot DAR
2nd Jul 2012, 02:58
172's information is correct. To add to it, the filler neck in the long range tank is a means for the pilot to tell the fueler to "fill it to the bottom of the filler necks only" to prevent taking a full fuel load, if you'd rather carry a full cabin of people, 'cause you won't be carrying both! De fueling after over filling is a pain.

It is the pilot's responsibility to assure that the required fuel is aboard, don't rely on fueling people in either case...