PDA

View Full Version : Eva B777-300ER

bungeeng
1st Jul 2012, 12:57
Hi folks,

I've recently flown the 777 for the first time in my life and it was a EVA 777-300ER.

I'm only rated on the 737NG so I don't consider myself an experienced jet pilot yet.
Anyway, I would have thought the 777 would be one of the most modern A/C from Boeing (with exception of the 747-800 and the 787) and I was quite disappointed just how loud the cabin was!

I was sitting in row 24 which is just behind the N1 section.
Things I noticed:
either the recirc fans or the packs are very loud. And before startup, this fan seemed to be cycled a lot of times. Not sure what the procedure on the 777 is, but we just turn off both packs before startup and after start, both are turned back up. But on this 777, they were cycled at least 4 times. Interestingly, just as we rotated, the noise stopped and came back on during the rollout after landing - so probably not the packs - maybe hi-flow??

Engine startup was associated with a lot of vibrations as the N2 spooled up. Is this really the current state of technology??

As the slats were retracted, a very loud noise was heard. Not sure what it was.

As to the cruise phase, not a lot to be said other than in general it was just really noisy. I just assume it was caused by the packs or recirc fans (but not as loud as the fan which was heard on the ground).

All in all, I expected a lot more to be honest. After all, I thought the 777 was designed from scratch? Not like the NG which shares a common rating with the dinosaur FLUF.

Up front it seems like a nice jet with a very roomy cockpit but as a pax, nothing I would consider in the future (compared to the long haul airbus family)

grounded27
2nd Jul 2012, 20:17
Ahh, I would have been happy knowing I had the most powerfull engines in commercial service under my wings. Dude, nobody has replied because you are whining.

gas path
2nd Jul 2012, 20:24
As the slats were retracted, a very loud noise was heard. Not sure what it was.

You're a pilot,and don't what the noise was? How about the slat PDU. You were sitting just about on top of it!:}
The GE90 does vibrate a lot on start up a combination of mismatched spool speeds and shaft bow.
Actually I didn't realise there were seats that far back in the cabin!:E

misd-agin
3rd Jul 2012, 02:59
Flew trans-atlantic round trip in a 777-200. B/C and F/C. Treated wife, daughter and mother in law.

I normally sit in the pointy end so it was a different experience sitting in the back. Very impressive.

bungeeng
3rd Jul 2012, 12:01
Hi gas path,

the loud noise I mentioned was heard just as the slats had rectracted. During transit, the slat sound was familiar.

@grounded,
No, I'm not whining. Just expressing my opinion and my surprise, that's all.