PDA

View Full Version : Ueberlingen collision

ATC Watcher
1st Jul 2012, 09:08
Today, 10 years ago the collision occurred near Constance lake leaving deep mark in the spirits of many ,especially ATC all around Europe .
Just like Teneriffe, the causes were many and changes in procedures , at ICAO level followed.

Are we better off today as we were in 2002 regarding TCAS procedures ? Probably but are we sure a collision like Ueberlingen will never occur again ? Looking at the incidents reports I see pass my desk , I am not so sure .Maybe a time today to reflect and make sure everyone , and every pilot remembers the correct procedures which basically are "Always follow the RA..."

captplaystation
1st Jul 2012, 09:16
With particular emphasis on making sure those who feel de-icing is "optional" :hmm: have it clear in their head.

His dudeness
1st Jul 2012, 10:06
Probably but are we sure a collision like Ueberlingen will never occur again ? Looking at the incidents reports I see pass my desk , I am not so sure .Maybe a time today to reflect and make sure everyone , and every pilot remembers the correct procedures which basically are "Always follow the RA..."

Can we also make sure that so called 'first world atc providers' such as Skyguide provide their staff with working telephone lines, enough personnel etc.?

Can we also remember the poor ATCO that was killed? And the horrible justice system in Switzerland, that would allow this murderer to walk free even before his sentence was done? This guy is very intelligent (he knew what he did) and he killed with intent, lets not forget that, and he never ever regretted doing so.

With particular emphasis on making sure those who feel de-icing is "optional" have it clear in their head.

:=

Busbert
1st Jul 2012, 11:07
Spare a thought for Peter Nielsen, the man who had the misfortune of being on the scopes at Skyguide. Peter was a second victim, stabbed to death on his own doorstep by a man who lost his wife and two children in the crash.