PDA

View Full Version : RAF salute

jumbojet
29th Jun 2012, 13:40
Just seen on TV, a shot of Prince Charles walking down the rear steps of a BAe 146. At the bottom of the steps is a RAF policeman who gives the salute but he gives the "I see no ships" salute akin the RN, not the "Sun is in my eyes" salute of the RAF. Why is this?

Wensleydale
29th Jun 2012, 13:44
Didn't have his dog with him to tell him what to do!

Old-Duffer
29th Jun 2012, 13:45
Several possibilities, I think:

one, he hasn't been taught properly and standards are slipping.
two, he is a former civilian policeman who has seen too many episodes of Dixon of Dock Green.
three, he used to be a matelot.
four, we need to get out more - you for starting the Thread and me for responding!!!

Old Duffer

Wander00
29th Jun 2012, 14:00
You guys beat me to it - only excuse is that Mrs W has gone out for the day wth a friend and left me with "a list" - I am only half way down it but was giving myself a break as I am crackered, and still the strimming to do! Maybe he is a triservice policemen and forgot what colour uniform he was wearing that day. Plonker!

cavortingcheetah
29th Jun 2012, 14:28
Was Charles dressed up in one of his navy uniforms perhaps?

jumbojet
29th Jun 2012, 15:53
HRH was in civies.

goudie
29th Jun 2012, 18:00
HRH was in civvies.

Then the copper was correct. When in doubt, defer to the Senior Service!

ShyTorque
29th Jun 2012, 18:25
Didn't have his dog with him to tell him what to do!

Harsh, but fair. ;)

diginagain
29th Jun 2012, 18:55
The OP is clearly confusing the RAF with a military organisation. Or perhaps the RAC.

big v
29th Jun 2012, 18:59
Halt, or I shall release my handler

Union Jack
29th Jun 2012, 19:00
HRH was in civies. (sic)

..... or more probably plain clothes!:=

Jack

Wander00
29th Jun 2012, 19:12
Surely Plod should salute according to the custom of his service, not any idea of which uniform HRH might be wearing that day if not in plain clothes. What does AP 818 (If my memory is correct) say on the subject. Someone on here will have a copy

ZH875
29th Jun 2012, 20:15
HRH Big Ears probably was wearing all his hard earned medals and the poor snowdrop was shielding his eyes from the glare.

Pontius Navigator
29th Jun 2012, 21:06
Wander, 10 demerits for taking the thread as serious and a further 10 for a serious answer.

insty66
29th Jun 2012, 21:17
Hopefully he's just won a bet.

Wander00
30th Jun 2012, 07:41
PN - I always was a boring old fart (well that's what Mrs W says!). I will write out 100, no 10 times, no once - I must not take life (as) seriously

Avionker
30th Jun 2012, 08:07
Well, that depends on whether the OP meant an Arr-eh-ef policeman or a raff policeman doesn't it?

jumbojet
30th Jun 2012, 10:22
I really do need to go out more!!
Found my self looking up "how do you know when to use the indefinite articles?" The AEIOU (Y) rule is secondary to the Phonetic sound of the word the article will be put in front of. So the context of "R.A.F" or "raff" is valid!! There is a subsection on exceptions but its time to go out for a long walk!!

BTW, my original question was serious as I saw the clip on the bbc news yesterday. (Sat 29th June) Some of the answers are hilariouse! As I go out I will keep an eye on my German Shepard to ensure he is not going to let me off the leash!!!

Motleycallsign
30th Jun 2012, 10:38
Quote-BTW, my original question was serious as I saw the clip on the bbc news yesterday. (Sat 29th June)-End quote

An easy explanation JJ, you were watching the recording of a news article to be aired next year after the amalgamation of the junior and senior services. Jun 29th was a Fri this year-at least I hope it was I spent the day in the office.................................

jumbojet
30th Jun 2012, 10:45
correct. A Friday it was!

Pontius Navigator
30th Jun 2012, 11:06
JJ, JJ, of course we knew that you were serious but saluting and RAF Policeman was obviously too good an opportunity to miss.

Found my self looking up "how do you know when to use the indefinite articles?" The AEIOU (Y) rule is secondary to the Phonetic sound of the word the article will be put in front of. So the context of "R.A.F" or "raff" is valid!! There is a subsection on exceptions but its time to go out for a long walk!!

According to Fowler, Before letters standing for abbreviations or symbols the choice is usually determined by the sound of the letter, not the word it represents, eg, an R.A., an M.P.; but that is the sort of thing about which we ought to be allowed to do as we please, so long as we are consistent.

Finishing my coffee and back to repair my swimming pool.

Wander00
30th Jun 2012, 11:45
Swimming pool - Lincolnshire - must be barking. Not really warm enough (for me) in S Vendee yet

Motleycallsign
30th Jun 2012, 11:58
Most of Lincolnshire was a swimming pool on Thurs afternoon.

Sideshow Bob
30th Jun 2012, 12:16
Most of Lincolnshire was a swimming pool on Thurs afternoon.
I had a foot of water on my drive. Managed to paddle from my car to the house before I remebered my wallet was in the ankle pocket of my flying siut! Epic fail. :ugh:

sitigeltfel
30th Jun 2012, 12:42
Swimming pool - Lincolnshire - must be barking. Not really warm enough (for me) in S Vendee yet
Mine is 27C. :p

Wander00
30th Jun 2012, 13:02
Water is not too bad - just freeze your b@@ll@cks off gtting there - should be at least 5 deg C warmer air temp this time of year and it has just started raining AGAIN!

Tankertrashnav
30th Jun 2012, 13:44
So the context of "R.A.F" or "raff" is valid!!

raff? RAFF??!! :eek:

The use of 'raff' was beaten out of us by about the second day of OCTU. I still wince when I hear someone referring to the RAF as 'the raff'. We'll be having raff "planes" next!

Raff indeed :*

Btw anyone remember that film Guns at Batasi ? Good scene with Richard Attenborough as the RSM instructing a hapless African soldier on how to salute correctly in the middle of the parade square. Sounds like the snowdrop could do with some of the same!

goudie
30th Jun 2012, 13:57
When I first posted on PPRuNe I always wrote R.A.F., as I always had done until some said, 'these days it's written RAF.' That to me would encourage the usage 'raff' which was practically a hanging offence, as you say TT. One day, God forbid, it'll probably be 'raff kites'!:eek:

Wander00
30th Jun 2012, 14:20
"It's not a plane, Bader, it's an "aeroplane" "(or similar)

Avionker
30th Jun 2012, 15:05
Having reached the dizzy hight of Cpl, prior to resigning my non-commission, I find raff to be perfectly acceptable.....:)

Two's in
30th Jun 2012, 15:33
"raff" is only correct when preceded by "riff"...

Shack37
30th Jun 2012, 22:42
Is "airforce" and "the mob" acceptable? Should that have been "air force"?

Time to lie down, head hurts.

diginagain
30th Jun 2012, 22:45
The grown-up wing of the ATC?

stumpey
1st Jul 2012, 05:41
Wonder if any of his "Line Managers", noticed and if they did, bothered to do anything?

No, thought not! :rolleyes: