PDA

View Full Version : CATS Locations

pilotgirl83
29th Jun 2012, 11:33
Hi I hope someone can help, i am currently living in Bristol and have recently completed my PPL, Although the obvious answer is for me to go to Bristol ground school for my ATPL theory I have been looking at the CATS distance learning course which is fits much better with my budget, I can see on their website they have schools in Luton and Gatwick both of which are some distance from me! I have a friend flying at Wycombe who says they may be opening a school there, does anyone have any info about this? I contacted CATS and the lady who answered the phone was very helpful, but said she couldn't comment! Also does anyone know of a similar priced course closer to me. :)

Sorry for the long post.....

fwjc
29th Jun 2012, 18:43
I did CATS at Luton, and have no complaints.

But, when you're working out costs, don't forget to factor on the additional costs for accommodation on your brush-ups.

My course cost £1600 (online DL +books)
Plus £1000 over the three weeks brush-up and three exam weeks for accommodation.
Plus £1000 (roughly) for all the exam fees.

I chose CATS in part because of the lower course fee than most, and in part because their 3 section syllabus suited my leave process from work (didn't need to take more than 2 weeks off at a time to do brush-up and exams).

What I am saying to you is to factor in the additional travel / accommodation expenses into your coatings, since you are in the enviable position of having another reputable school on your doorstep. The difference in cost might not be so bad, and IMO both schools generally receive good feedback.

paco
29th Jun 2012, 19:29
Your friend is not correct - it is not CATS but CAPT that will be returning to Wycombe. We have ATPL(A) approval too ;)

fwjc is correct though - it's the total cost that counts not just the cost of the course. You won't go far wrong at Bristol.

Phil

pilotgirl83
30th Jun 2012, 13:17
Oh thats a shame had narrowed it down to CATS and Bristol and had free accommodation at Wycombe.

Is the CATS ground school run the week before the exams at Gatwick? was thinking I could get 2 weeks leave and be near the CAA HQ for exams?

With Bristol am I right in thinking I would need to take three weeks off including the exams or does the two week ground school include the exam time?

Sorry if these are silly questions....:ugh: