PDA

View Full Version : Flying around Bristol

pilotgirl83
29th Jun 2012, 11:19
Have just finished my PPL and am now looking for somewhere in the Bristol area to do some hour building wondered if anyone could sugest somewhere?? :):)

iburnthings
29th Jun 2012, 16:34
Evening, im in the bristol area also, was in a similar situation not so long ago and I'm afraid there wasn't many options then and I only think the situation has got worse!

Filton, obviously closest to central Bristol is closed at weekends and soon to close at the end of the year, not sure what's left there now, I believe aeros flight training have moved out, also Bristol Aero Club and a few others were there I think. Lulsgate isn't very practical, high prices and a certain degree of holding to fit in with the airliners.

Kemble, Gloucester or Compton Abbas are good GA airfields but all an hour plus drive.

Or you can do what I did and turn to the LAA/strip flying side of life. There's many strips in the area, I saved up and got myself a single seat group A aircraft and based on a strip just up the road from me and have never looked back! I can fly as much and as often as I can and have met many great people on the way, it's cheaper and more fun!

pilotgirl83
30th Jun 2012, 13:21
Are the LAA aircraft suitable for hour building? I haven't heard of any strips near Bristol how can I find out about them?

I was told that there is a club at Bristol airport has anyone done hour building there?

Thanks for the replies :)

iburnthings
1st Jul 2012, 08:52
You can hour build on group A LAA aircraft (not microlights) however you can't hire them so you either have to buy one or buy a share in one, they are normally a lot cheaper to run/fly than a club hired c of a aircraft though!

There is a club at Bristol search for the Bristol and Wessex aeroplane club to find there website, like I said I'm not sure what the deal is there anymore, when I was at Bristol the prices were eye watering and there was a lot of waiting around for the big guys? Where did you train?

If you get in touch with LAA or the Bristol wing of the LAA (LAA Bristol Wing website (http://www.bristol-wing.co.uk/)) they might be able to point you in the direction of some contacts. There are quite a few strips in the area, ours is based just south west of Bath, you'd always be welcome to come up and have a chat about aviation and maybe even come out for a flight, we're normally always up there when the weather is nice!

wheresthisfit
3rd Jul 2012, 11:57
pilotgirl83 - check your pm's