PDA

View Full Version : How to land a professional flying job in Asia

gcpilot8
28th Jun 2012, 22:23
Greetings

I am an aspiring pilot looking to work in Asia. I am a US citizen, who was born, raised and spent 20 years in Nepal.

What are average minimum flight hours to work as FO in Asian airlines? I know this is vague question so I am trying to draw answers from the experiences of seasoned aviators working in Asia. After completion of my CFI-ME what would you suggest me to do – look for job with US regional airlines to build time or look for opportunities with small Asian carriers?
Would it be possible to live in Nepal and commute to work in Dubai, India, Singapore or any other countries within 5hrs of flying? My dream is to live in Nepal but commute to work in any Asian country. Starting salary of USD 2k to 3k would be sufficient for the starting years since I have other sources of supplemental income. Does anyone know, or is currently commuting to work in Asia from other Asian countries like having a base in Dubai but living in Bangkok?

Does Asia have the similar seniority system as of the US, or is it more hours = more power kind of thing? Please shed some light on this subject as, if Asia also has seniority system them I might as well skip US regionals and take up flying in Asia after CFI-ME.

I’d ike to hear from Ex pats working in Asia for any suggestions, advice, career guidance that could be useful to this aspiring pilot.
I can speak, write fluent Hindi, English, Nepali….i wonder if these linguistic abilities will improve my chances of working particularly in the Indian sub-continent.

I know I have asked a lot of question so please bear with me since I would like to know what I am getting into before I spend 50k+ on trainings and ratings.

I have mentioned my situation and background in a separate thread in this forum. Please have a glance and provide some feedback.

I truly appreciate your time and effort to read and reply.

Stay safe, happy flying!

gcpilot8
29th Jul 2012, 22:34
any takers? :(

Airmann
30th Jul 2012, 03:02
Firstly, this is the Middle East forum, so you won't find info on places like India or the Far East here.

Secondly, no if you work for a Middle Eastern Airline, you will not be flying home very often.

Thirdly, the only airline that might have taken you with your hours is Qatar Airways, however, it seems that they've stopped taking resumes of low hour pilots. Check with the website on a month to month basis to see if they start the Second Officer program again. But they will not accept an FAA license for the SO program.

Fourthly, yes there is a seniority list.

Lastly, i would suggest you fly regional in the states for a few years to get your experience, after a few thousand hours under your belt you can apply for jobs in the Middle East.

All the best.

ironbutt57
30th Jul 2012, 05:05
But they will not accept an FAA license for the SO program.

They do for FTSO....

Airmann
30th Jul 2012, 09:18
Yes that's right, but not the Normal track. And in fact they've become more stringent recently on license requirements for NTSO as they now require a JAA license or one from a state which follows the JAA syllabus/guidelines e.g. SA Jordan etc.

ironbutt57
30th Jul 2012, 14:53
SA Jordan??? hmmmmm the trainees I receive describe a training syllabus thats very different than a JAA one...

Airmann
31st Jul 2012, 13:15
Sorry maybe saying that its the same as the JAA syllabus was not quite right, officially its "JAA Approved" which is good enough for recruitment at QR and the QCAA.

Arabian Aerospace - Ayla is first with JAA ground school approval (http://www.arabianaerospace.aero/ayla-is-first-with-jaa-ground-school-approval.html)

gcpilot8
9th Aug 2012, 17:27
Thank you Airmann for your response.

Firstly, this is the Middle East forum, so you won't find info on places like India or the Far East here

I was throwing this question on Middle East forum as a lot of US pilots are working in the ME:ok: so I thought someone would put some light on this subject.:) The "South East" forum is basically dead with a very few posting concerned to job hunting and type rating:\

if you work for a Middle Eastern Airline, you will not be flying home very often.

At first my lines were blurred between commute contract flying and flying for a company permanently (flying for Middle East companies VS commute contract flying in China), hence the question. Now I do have some information regarding those different aspect of expat flying and learning more through forums everyday.

i would suggest you fly regional in the states for a few years to get your experience, after a few thousand hours under your belt you can apply for jobs in the Middle East.

Thats what i have been advised by other fellow contract expat pilots and this is the way to go, some few thousand jet hours and preferable with some PIC time to accompany that.

Thank you again for your suggestions.:ok::D