PDA

View Full Version : Mosquito FB.26 KA114

reynoldsno1
28th Jun 2012, 03:52
It has just been announced that the above aircraft is planned to make its first post-restoration flight on 29 Sep 2012 at Ardmore Airport,near Auckland, New Zealand. This is a major achievement after eight years of painstaking rebuild...

aviate1138
28th Jun 2012, 07:04
Very good news! :)

Is there ever going to be another Mosquito flying in this country [UK]? :rolleyes:

treadigraph
28th Jun 2012, 07:10
That's brilliant to hear - a huge round of applause to all who are working so diligently, and investing time and cash into the project!

Dear Mr Yagen,

Once your beautiful aeroplane has completed its flight test programme, do please have it delivered via the UK so we may all enjoy the delights of seeing a Mossie in the sky again!

Yours sincerely, etc...

aviate1138
28th Jun 2012, 07:23
Having just looked at Mr Yagen's video it surely must be that this Mosquito will be the best

engineered one ever. Who's the lucky pilot/s?

Hasel Checks
28th Jun 2012, 15:50
Well done you Kiwis! Show them how to do the job properly. I've used the runways and hangars at historic Ardmore many times, years ago, and would love to see this test flight. Does this model have the same intrinsic carburettor fuel-flow problems as the one that crashed at Barton?

GeeRam
28th Jun 2012, 20:03
Is there ever going to be another Mosquito flying in this country [UK]?

Jerry Yagan has indicated that the intention was to bring KA114 to the UK for a brief period to display en-route to it's home in the USA......whether this happens given the date now of first flight in NZ remains to be seen.

If it does happen, it's very likely to be the only chance of ever seeing a Mossie in UK skies again.

Ralis
29th Jun 2012, 00:46
sooo glad im located at ardmore...and that the boys get the warbirds up on the regular

DHfan
29th Jun 2012, 17:35
"Does this model have the same intrinsic carburettor fuel-flow problems as the one that crashed at Barton?"

You mean the "intrinsic" fuel flow problem caused by a rare carburettor fault?

chevvron
30th Jun 2012, 00:19
I'm proud to have had access to Bovingdon (as an ATC cadet) during the filming of '633 Squadron', (1963?) where I saw no less than 12 Mossies together, at least 4 of them flying. (Donald Houston, one of the stars of the film, said 'good morning' to me!)
One Mossie remained at Bovingdon until about 1966 or 1967 and before flying it out, a small hole was drilled in the tailplane and a large amount of (rain)water drained out! This was told to me by dear old Warrant Officer John Lacey RIP of 2204 (Chesham) Sqdn ATC , who worked for Shorts at Bovingdon providing ground services.

Agaricus bisporus
30th Jun 2012, 11:40
Confederate Air Force, Harlingen, spring 1977. Roger Tallichet had just bought it and was ferrying it to California in a hurry with virtually no inspection after a couple of years in the open if memory serves. Poor thing was in a helluva state and his pilot was a bit nervous about it. They overheated one engine during taxy and the PRV blew a big cloud of steam, from a mile away it looked for a moment as though it had caught fire. There was quite a panic for a few minutes, but they screwed it down a bit tighter and set off again. Even at age 18 and knowing not a lot about aircraft it seemed bravery beyond the call of duty. Looking back I think it was downright foolhardy.

It had flown the Atlantic some years earlier prior to arriving at Harlingen. That must have been on heck of a trip.

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc189/agaricusbisporus/Confederate%20Air%20Force/CAFslides-12.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc189/agaricusbisporus/Confederate%20Air%20Force/CAFslides-02.jpg

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc189/agaricusbisporus/Confederate%20Air%20Force/CAFslides-13.jpg

GeeRam
30th Jun 2012, 14:32
Confederate Air Force, Harlingen, spring 1977. Roger Tallichet had just bought it and was ferrying it to California in a hurry with virtually no inspection after a couple of years in the open if memory serves. Poor thing was in a helluva state and his pilot was a bit nervous about it. They overheated one engine during taxy and the PRV blew a big cloud of steam, from a mile away it looked for a moment as though it had caught fire. There was quite a panic for a few minutes, but they screwed it down a bit tighter and set off again. Even at age 18 and knowing not a lot about aircraft it seemed bravery beyond the call of duty. Looking back I think it was downright foolhardy.

It had flown the Atlantic some years earlier prior to arriving at Harlingen. That must have been on heck of a trip.

RS709..... still wearing it's Mosquito Squadron movie markings.

She was in such a state that it successfully made the trip back across the Atlantic to the UK in 1979 after aquisistion by Doug Arnold ;)

And...... after overhaul at Blackbushe, was sold again, and made yet another trans-altlantic ferry flight back to the USA in 1984, and it's final permanent grounding for display at the USAF Museum at Dayton, Ohio.

Maybe the only Mosquito to have made 4 such trans-atlantic trips...?

Hasel Checks
1st Jul 2012, 11:32
DHfan:
You mean the "intrinsic" fuel flow problem caused by a rare carburettor fault?

Was that the official conclusion of the AIB Report into this tragedy?
Or did they word it sufficiently vaguely that both interpretations would be valid?

Does this Mosquito have the same type of carburettor as the Barton crash Mossie?

Karl Bamforth
4th Jul 2012, 13:50
Accident report can be found here.

Air Accidents Investigation: De 501355 (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/june_1997/de_501355.cfm)

reynoldsno1
9th Jul 2012, 22:29
... along with the Spitfire XIV that will stay in NZ ...

Wings Over New Zealand - Mosquito Roll Out Today (http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airshows&action=display&thread=16707&page=1)

brokenlink
5th Aug 2012, 20:12
Thanks for posting that link, great pictures.
Just wondering what happened to the ex IWM (T.35?) airframe that used to lurk in a dismantled state in TFC hangars at Duxford a few years ago?

treadigraph
5th Aug 2012, 21:05
The ex-IWM and TFC Mossie moved to Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection I think - still in the UK awaiting/undergoing restoration?

stepwilk
6th Aug 2012, 02:41
before flying it out, a small hole was drilled in the tailplane and a large amount of (rain)water drained out!

When I bult my Falco, in fact using the same Aerolite glue that Mosquitos used, I drilled small holes at the low point of every single wing, tail and fuselage bay, between every rib and frame, per the plans. De Havilland should have known better and done the same in the first place... Live and learn, I guess.

Lucky Strike
6th Aug 2012, 05:55
Suppose, but then your Falco wont get shot down within a few weeks or months so preserving it is worth the effort.

rjtjrt
6th Aug 2012, 06:16
I suspect they did know better.
They knew a lot about building all sorts of wood aircraft.
As said above, I think deH were concentrating on survival of the nation and aircrew, rather than long term survival of the aircraft where the greatest danger was not wood rot.

stepwilk
7th Aug 2012, 00:47
So how long does it take to drill several dozen holes with a 3/8-inch power drill? Particularly during the course of construction? Frankly, I don't buy the "Oh, don't bother doing that, the thing's going to get shot down within a month or two anyway" argument. Craftsmen don't work that way.

DHfan
7th Aug 2012, 07:54
Craftsmen don't drill holes through a laminate leaving bare edges for water ingress either. A ply/balsa/ply/fabric laminate can't be compared with a single ply skin.

A A Gruntpuddock
8th Aug 2012, 10:49
I recall reading that the biggest problem in hot countries was that the adhesive broke down into a substance similar to runny cheese.

The author had the job of going round the flight line sniffing the airframes for signs of deterioration ("The New Science of Strong Materials")!

Would be nice to have one flying again, a really lovely aircraft.

TURIN
9th Aug 2012, 13:11
Frankly, I don't buy the "Oh, don't bother doing that, the thing's going to get shot down within a month or two anyway" argument. Craftsmen don't work that way.

No, but bean counters do. :(

India Four Two
26th Sep 2012, 06:07
Everyone on Wings over New Zealand forum is getting pretty excited about the upcoming first flight of KA114

Engine run pictures here:
Wings Over New Zealand - Mosquito Roll Out Today (http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airshows&action=display&thread=16707&page=32)

(Don't look at page 33 - it will make you cry!)

More engine run and taxying pictures here and on following page:
Wings Over New Zealand - Mosquito Roll Out Today (http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airshows&action=display&thread=16707&page=35)

The test pilots are Dave Phillips, a Cathay pilot (who I saw at Tauranga in February, displaying the Hunter and following on with the best Tiger Moth aerobatics I have ever seen) and Keith Skilling, a retired ANZ pilot, who normally flies a Corsair.

Above The Clouds
26th Sep 2012, 10:20
What ever happened to the Mosquito that lived in the hangar at RAF Swinderby, I recall it parked in the corner of the main central hangar and spent many a day doing drill practice around it during 1980.

OntimeexceptACARS
26th Sep 2012, 22:08
Engine run and taxi test here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=7vQOY3d89JE

OTEA

treadigraph
26th Sep 2012, 22:41
Above the Clouds, Swinderby Mossie was TJ138, now at Hendon.

mattyj
26th Sep 2012, 23:33
Its flying now..chase plane looks like a Trojan

India Four Two
27th Sep 2012, 02:06
Its flying now..chase plane looks like a Trojan

Pictures at #652
Wings Over New Zealand - Mosquito Roll Out Today (http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airshows&action=display&thread=16707&page=44)

Fantastic! :ok:

And an even better picture here (#664)
Wings Over New Zealand - Mosquito Roll Out Today (http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=Airshows&action=display&thread=16707&page=45)

HectorusRex
27th Sep 2012, 05:55
KA 114/ZK-MOS is currently parked in Air NZ #3 hangar at Mangere/Auckland International Airport.
This beautiful machine is sadly unserviceable at Auckland Intl with an airspeed indicator fault so no idea when she will make the journey "home" to Ardmore.
There’s an air leak in the system. Could take a minute or two hours.. Also while it’s at Auckland International it will have the cowls off and each engine will be inspected .A thorough inspection of the airframe will also be done.
Update!
Quote from an ATC staff member at NZAA
Dave Philips flew the first flight... had problems with the ASI and landed at Auckland with the Trojan in close formation calling airspeeds... spent a couple of hours on the ground and has just returned back to Auckland with Keith Skilling at the helm... shortly to depart again for Ardmore.... a fantastic sight and not one that we see everyday in the tower in Auckland... and unfortunately it might be a long time before we see another one . Glad I was there to see the Ardmore departure and all flights from Auckland!! Got some video and photos from the tower and will post them when I get home tonight. Nothing quite as spectacular/professional as the others here!!

treadigraph
27th Sep 2012, 06:29
Despite the low clouds and drizzle that currently enshroud Croydon, it is indeed a sunny day!

Huge congratulations and thank you to all those who have conspired to make it happen.

(And please, please, please bring it to Britain so we too may admire it in the flesh!)

smylie
27th Sep 2012, 08:00
She flew today :D

India Four Two
27th Sep 2012, 08:20
Short videos of the arrival and departure at Auckland International (about 10 miles from Ardmore)

De Havilland Mosquito aircraft Landing Akl Air NZ Hangar 1st Landing after rebuild - YouTube

De Havilland Mosquito aircraft Starting Auckland Hangar NZ - YouTube

De Havilland Mosquito aircraft Taxi out Akl Hangar NZ - YouTube

De Havilland Mosquito aircraft 2nd Takeoff after rebuild from Auckland Airport NZ - YouTube

Above The Clouds
27th Sep 2012, 09:05
Fantastic to see such a wonderful aircraft fly again,

Is it just me or maybe it was just the short you tube clips but that turn around seemed very short given there was an ASI problem/leak, who was there to fix it?

There seemed to be a bit of get home as quickly as we can going on especially as it seemed to be going dark in the back ground, no critisim of anyone you have all done a fantastic job to get it flying again but look after it.

Arfer Minnit
27th Sep 2012, 09:42
What a joy to behold (and listen to). Well done to all involved and thanks for sharing these clips.

PLovett
27th Sep 2012, 12:01
Fan..bloody..tastic. Huge kudos to all involved. Just wish I could have been there to see it fly. :ok::ok::ok:

aviate1138
27th Sep 2012, 13:26
Surely someone had a better camera than that shambles!

Also I wouldn't taxi straight at the closed hanger doors with a brand new machine - especially a gorgeous Mossie! The only one now flying anywhere in the World!

Great to see a Mossie once more in its element. Well done to all those dedicated people who brought KA 114 back to life.

OK I am a pedant but that first flight needed some decent hi res photography!

treadigraph
27th Sep 2012, 15:05
I'm sure there will indeed be much better stuff out there, these are just hastily grabbed videos shot by somebody at Auckland when the Mossie dropped in unexpectedly...

I presume Ardmore is a bit short to risk the aircraft with the ASI u/s, even with a shepherd.

India Four Two
27th Sep 2012, 15:22
OK I am a pedant Possibly ;)

Give them a break. It's only just happened. Keep checking Wings Over New Zealand. There are some new pictures and a video taken from the tower.

Here's another view of the taxi. They weren't taxying at the hangar doors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sou0JKL2eRQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

the Mossie dropped in unexpectedly...
From what I have read, they planned to go to Auckland, in order to have a long runway for the first landing.

treadigraph
27th Sep 2012, 17:14
Ah, thanks I42, an assumption on my part! :ok:

India Four Two
27th Sep 2012, 17:23
tg,

No problem. Doesn't the Mossie look nice? :ok:

I'm hoping she is still there in November when I'm next in NZ.

GeeRam
27th Sep 2012, 20:41
Just wondering what happened to the ex IWM (T.35?) airframe that used to lurk in a dismantled state in TFC hangars at Duxford a few years ago?

The ex-IWM Mossie is a T.3 and was purchased by Paul Allen's Flying Heritage Collection, and is next in line for rebuilding to airworthy status and is already out in NZ at Avspecs ready for them to work their magic on next.:ok:

Mercury Rising
28th Sep 2012, 14:33
Mosquito FB26 KA114 flew yesterday, 2 days ahead of schedule.

stepwilk
28th Sep 2012, 14:55
I suspect it's absolutely on schedule. The Saturday flight, whether it's specified anywhere or not, will be the first -public- flight. Only a fool would sell tickets to a "first flight" and then have it all go bad because on the taxi out a wheel bearing turned out to be failing.

Too much refunding to do...

India Four Two
28th Sep 2012, 16:14
What I find surprising is that an "effectively new" aircraft that presumably hasn't completed its production test flights, is going to perform at an air display.

I wonder what the CAA had to say about that?

Jhieminga
28th Sep 2012, 16:24
I guess that's something to figure out between the owners/operators and the CAA, but for the record this is a restoration, not a new build. I know that most of the wood is new but it is still a restoration of an existing aircraft.

DaveReidUK
28th Sep 2012, 16:43
I know that most of the wood is new but it is still a restoration of an existing aircraft.

There are plenty of "restored" Spitfires flying around with not much more of the original aircraft than the manufacturer's data plate. :O

India Four Two
29th Sep 2012, 04:08
It looks like the CAA was happy:

Wings Over New Zealand - Mosquito Show 29th Sep 2012 Photos (http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=airshow&thread=17190)

India Four Two
29th Sep 2012, 08:16
I couldn't resist borrowing this one from the Wings Over New Zealand forum. Aaaah - de Havilland! Two plywood fighters in formation. :)

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c309/india42/vampireandmosquito.jpg

I heard via a friend in NZ that there are some air to air pictures taken from the T11. I'll try and get hold of some.

brokenlink
29th Sep 2012, 20:41
Lovely!
Huge congrats to all involved, hope it gets over here on its way home.

kiwirotor
29th Sep 2012, 23:16
What an awesome sight we were treated to yesterday . With the mosquito , spitfire , mustang and kittyhawke in tight formation , we all had goose bumps . I dare say more than a few tears were shed by former mosquito pilots . Well done to all involved in the restoration , she's a real credit to their skills and determination .

quadradar
1st Oct 2012, 04:39
One of the best days of my life :)

Seeing and HEARING that beautiful Mosquito was something I will never forget ....

What a great credit to the guys involved with the rebuild - the workmanship was astonishing and the end result just beautiful ....

Brilliant !

India Four Two
1st Oct 2012, 13:56
Mosquito fans, if you haven't already done so, have a look at the pictures on Wings Over New Zealand, starting on page 3:

Wings Over New Zealand - Mosquito Show 29th Sep 2012 Photos (http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=airshow&action=display&thread=17190&page=3)

More Mossie pictures than you can shake a plywood-and-balsa stick at. :)

Also, some for Annie fans and one for Bren gun fans.

Edited to add, I like this video:

Wings Over New Zealand - Mosquito Show 29th Sep 2012 Photos (http://rnzaf.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=airshow&thread=17190&page=5#168780)

particularly the sound of two Merlins and a Goblin, at 7:00.