PDA

View Full Version : Class 2 Initial

dodos9
27th Jun 2012, 14:57
Hi everyone!
I have spend most of the day so far trying to find out about different Authorised Medical Examiners in Greater Manchester area. A quick look at CAA website that popped up on google gave me a list of nearby AMEs. However, I tried ringing them many times and the only success was with Dr Yuill based in many different places in the area. Now, after going on his website and ringing the reception in Stockport the outcome is: 'Class Two initial (includes HG, ECG, ophthalmic extended examination) - £225.00'. Now, first of all, this seems quite a lot to what I heard it should cost and second of all do I, aged 16, need the HG, ECG and ophthalmic extended examination for a PPL?

I'd appreciate if anyone could perhaps recommend any AME in Manchester's area or just give me an update on what the average prices of Class 2 initial are and whether I need those additional tests at the age of 16 (I think some of them depend on age).

EV97 fan
28th Jun 2012, 12:23
My AME lives and works in Disley, not far from Stockport.
Initial class 2 presently £165 ( but plus VAT = £198) all in.
Might be worth a little further enquiry.

dodos9
28th Jun 2012, 15:16
@this is my username
Thanks. The prices are lower than the ones I have found, but both Sheffield and Leeds are quite a distance from where I live and when you add the fuel costs and time it just doesn't seem to be worth it. Thank you very much for contributing though!

@EV97 fan
I have just had a phone call from them as I recorded the message yesterday. I have been told exactly the same price you told me: 165+33+198. Thanks

I was also looking for FAA medical examiner and I have been advised to try Dr Martin Hudson . He is based around 35 miles from where I live but I would have to get my FAA medical done anyway, so it seems worth going there and doing both at the same time. So, has anyone got any comments on Dr Hudson by perhaps being examined by him in the past?

Lastly, just a bit off-topic, FAA Class 2 Medical seems to be valid for 60 months for 40 years old and under when used for Class 3 purposes. So, if I go to USA to do my CAA PPL, is my FAA Class 2 Medical going to be valid for 60 months? (basically, can a CAA PPL be done only having FAA Class 3 medical?)

Thanks

Shawrey
29th Jun 2012, 19:51
Ah, the Class 2 Initial!

I had my initial with Dr Donnan in Disley, also at the age of 16. They were very nice people there, and made you feel right at home. I would highly recomend him if you are looking for an AME and want to do the FAA Medical at a later stage.

Regards

gingernut
30th Jun 2012, 22:53
I used to see Dr R at Ringwy, very thorough, but always seemed to pass after a few "advisory's"

Dr D seems to know his stuff, and seems to have a pragmatic approach to passing pilots:)

Phororhacos
1st Jul 2012, 10:48
If all you want to do is fly VFR as a hobby, and only in the UK and europe, then you may want to wait till after Sep 17th (unless the date shifts back again) and then have a LAPL medical (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/49/20120620LAPLForGPs.pdf), either with an AME or possibly your GP if he/she wants to do them. There is no ECG and no blood test requirement so it is likely to be cheaper.

Alternatively if you are training for a PPL only as a stepping stone to a commercial licence, you may want to have an initial Class 1 medical, (currently in the UK the only place you can do this is at the CAA at Gatwick, and only after your 17th birthday). This will have the 5 years class 2 privileges built into it and prevent the situation of training for your PPL only to subsequently fail the initial class 1 on something not tested for in the class 2. (Does happen)

EV97 fan
3rd Jul 2012, 22:12
Dr D ( I'm surprised others are allowed to use full names on here ! ) seems to be well respected by several members. He flies himself ; has had a PPL for 30 years ! Also understands medical problems in flying ; had a bovine tissue aortic valve replacement in Sept 2010 ! But latest news is that he's got his own medical back, and flying once again ! Good to ask advice from !

dodos9
5th Jul 2012, 20:29
Thanks for all the replies I had and before finally deciding I have read them all, but unfortunately had no time to reply.

Only today I was able to get a day off work, get on a bus and then on a train to Goostrey to Dr Hudson to get my both initial JAA Class 2 and FAA Class 3 medicals done. All in all, it took me 8 hours (from waking up to getting back home; from entering to leaving Dr. Hudson's house it was only one hour, so the rest was of course the journey etc.) and cost me £215 (£15 transport and £200 medicals) and I am glad I went all the way there from Manchester to do them both in one go.

I highly recommend Dr Hudson (as well as his wife who goes through the admin process etc.) as he appears very professional and wants you to go through the whole process as quickly as possible to make it the most convenient for you. He explains everything about what the examination will consist of and also gives tips regarding the medical itself after issuing, which I found very helpful because it was of course my initial medical, so I wouldn't know what things I would have to report to CAA or AME if my medical conditions change etc. Once again, very professional and highly recommended!

Thanks for all your help here everyone and now as I know I am 'fit to fly' I really need to get my head down into these theory exams and as I started the meteorology about a week ago, I have to say it all seems very interesting and does actually make sense when you get into it. Once again, thank you very much! :ok:

Bad medicine
15th Jul 2012, 10:43
EV97 fan - What an amazing coincidence that both you and your AME had the same condition in the same year! A suspicious person might think you were trying to give an endorsement to your own practice by pretending to be somebody else :=.

http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/490286-emirates-ultrasound.html#post7294991