PDA

View Full Version : Bofors AP or handbook help

Laarbruch72
27th Jun 2012, 10:45
A museum up in Scotland (a former RAF station) has recently had a deactivated ex-RAF Bofors 40mm gun donated to them. The gun itself needs quite a bit of TLC and ideally the museum would like to restore it to its glory days... they have one volunteer who is an ex RAF Regiment bofors gunner but he's getting on a bit and can't fully remember the maintenance procedures as he last used one back in the late 60's.

Does any old and bold RAF gunner or armourer have (or know of) any handbooks, AP's, or guides that might help them remember the stripping and maintenance?

I can find a US Navy 40mm antiaircraft gun manual online, but I'm not sure if it's the same weapon as the UK version.
40 MM Antiaircraft Gun - OP 820 (http://www.hnsa.org/doc/bofors40mm/index.htm)

Thanks for your help in advance.

Airborne Aircrew
27th Jun 2012, 11:27
I'll ask on the History forum of RockNet and see if we can dig anything up...

Airborne Aircrew
27th Jun 2012, 12:28
The question has been raised:-

Can you determine if it's a 40/60 or 40/70?

Laarbruch72
27th Jun 2012, 13:34
Thank you AA, it's a 40/70.

Airborne Aircrew
27th Jun 2012, 14:14
I'll pass that on...

A mate is also contacting a chap that has restored a 40/70 himself so hopefully there will be some good news there soon...

Laarbruch72
27th Jun 2012, 14:45
Many thanks AA, I appreciate it.

Airborne Aircrew
27th Jun 2012, 15:26
A mate has a copy of "Gun Drill for Gun Equipment 40/70 L3" that he is loathe to part with but is willing to scan to PDF for you if you can wait through the weekend. He says it's going to be about 170 pages. To help him out with scanning is it just the stripping and maintenance bits you want. That would save him some work.

green granite
27th Jun 2012, 15:53
User handbook for Gun Equipment, 40/70 A.A.,L3 | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/User-handbook-Gun-Equipment-40-70-A-A-L3-/220605669460)

Laarbruch72
27th Jun 2012, 20:29
Yes AA, it's specifically the stripping and maintenance parts. The old boy is fine with operating drills and procedure, it's the "technical" bits that have him stumped after all this time.

If your friend would rather photocopy and post (to save on all the scanning and saving), he is welcome to... but either way I'll owe him a nice bottle of something or a voucher by way of thanks, I'm sure you can help suggest something he would like?

Green Granite: Thanks for the link, a very nice manual but the museum is only run by volunteers and is free entry so money is tight for them. Cheers.

Airborne Aircrew
27th Jun 2012, 20:40
I'll save my mate his time and effort and your mate just having the maintenance part. Since the museum has the gun it should probably have the manual too...

Please PM me a shipping address and I'll get the one off E-Bay for the museum.

NutLoose
27th Jun 2012, 21:27
Good on ya.. :D:D:D

Laarbruch72
28th Jun 2012, 07:18
I don't know what to say AA, what a very generous gesture. :D

It is a chunk of cash so I would like to go halves with you if you're okay with that, we can exchange details and I'll paypal you half the balance.
My old gunner contact up there is not internet savvy (he's in his 70's and the information age has left him behind) but I'll see if his wife will let him on her computer so he can pass on his thanks to you.

And my own thanks again, you're a true gentleman. :)
PM on the way.

Airborne Aircrew
28th Jun 2012, 11:14
PM received... I'm going shopping... :)

£42.98 shipped to his door. Please tell him to expect it in 6-8 days... We'll deal with the details by PM...

Lordflasheart
28th Jun 2012, 15:10
What a Gent AA :ok: Of such is greatness made. Perhaps they'll do a small inscription in your honour ?

Didn't RSM Lauderdale and Pte Wilkes destroy two of these at Batasi in 1964 ? What a waste, but hey, probably only wooden 40/60s.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj632/LFH99/Bofors40mmwheeled.jpg

While we're on AAA - An ex WWII 3.7 HAA Gunner who served in Malta during the siege - revisited in the 90s (?) and noted there was no proper memorial to the AA forces. Back home, he found some 3.7s rusting in his neighbourhood scrapyard in North Wales, got them done up by the local army and shipped them out, where they now stand in their former glory - below. The documentary video "Guns for Malta" tells the story. LFH

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj632/LFH99/HeavyAA-Malta002.jpg