PDA

View Full Version : Day of Reckoning

Luggage
26th Jun 2012, 20:00
Could the false hope of a pilot shortage finally be behind us with positive growth expected now or just wishful thinking!!

The reckoning looms - Flight International Editor's Blog (http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/flight-international-editors-blog//2012/06/the-reckoning-looms.html)

;) or :{
:ok:

wangus
26th Jun 2012, 20:25
Next 20 years.....in 30 years. From my personal perspective (age 38, unemployed) that is a window of opportunity which will not help me. Think I have heard this all before, but enjoyed reading the (very short) article.

LPVL
27th Jun 2012, 10:21
A more complete article from same webpage:

IN FOCUS: Airlines face pilot-availability shortfall (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/in-focus-airlines-face-pilot-availability-shortfall-373274/)

flyhighspeed300
30th Jun 2012, 12:59
See my post, asking if any knows of any European airlines still recruiting low hour pilots in 2012/13. There just isn't the flying jobs otherwise there would have been more feedback.

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/488768-pilot-jobs-2012-2013-a.html

magicmick
30th Jun 2012, 18:13
Hi Flyhighspeed,

A lot of the people reading these forums are looking for work, if they know of any airlines about to recruit or actually recruiting they are going to guard that information extremely jealously. A lack of feedback could be because some people do not want to increase the competition for jobs that they know about.

wangus
30th Jun 2012, 18:29
Correct! You can say that again.

flyhighspeed300
30th Jun 2012, 19:31
If there were the flying jobs why are we not seeing recruitment advertisement for low hour pilots (requirement to do so in the UK) rather than all of us hoping to find that job though other means.

magicmick
30th Jun 2012, 19:44
Putting an employment ad in a magazine costs lots of money so regardless of the moral or legal implications many operators (especially the smaller ones with less money) will use many different methods to recruit, including but not limited to:

Recruiting qualified pilots who already work for the operator in another capacity ie cabin crew, engineering, ops etc.

Asking pilots to recommend people that they know who are looking for work.

Employing family members of senior employees.

Poaching from other similar operators.

Approaching flying schools for recommendations.

Contacting someone who happens to submit their CV or visit the office on the day that a pilot hands in their notice.

All of the above are valid ways to get into an operator and none of them require a formal recruitment ad.

UAV689
1st Jul 2012, 01:09
Hmmmmm....

Servey from CAE...

Vested interests...

MCDU2
1st Jul 2012, 14:50
For the hard of hearing...........There has never been nor will there ever be a shortage of low houred wannabes fresh from flight school.

There will always be work for pilots with experience on a current jet type.

The tricky bit is getting from low houred hero to crusty experienced pilot on a jet that is in vogue.

Its just the way the industry works I am afraid.