PDA

View Full Version : Facilities in YPPH

scandistralian
26th Jun 2012, 15:55
Dear All,

Just a quick couple of questions regarding YPPH, can anyone explain why;

1) Still no CAT 2 / CAT 3 capability

2) Why RWY 06/24 isn't at least 2500m so it could be used by heavies without drastic payload restrictions

3) YPEA cannot be used as a Destination Alternate but YPLM can? Despite both being military airfields

4) Why there are no stop bar lights at Runway holding points?

5) Given the volume of growth there is no separate 2nd runway?

6) I could be wrong but from memory no alternating red/white lights for the last part of the runway.

If anyone in the know can fill me in it'd be much appreciated, they are common questions my colleagues ask when we fly here, and being a local they are surprised when my only response is "that's just how it's done in Perth"

Cheers :ok:

neville_nobody
26th Jun 2012, 22:18
Good questions that your airline should be directing toward WAC.

This thread should provide some insight.

http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-reporting-points/442821-perth-airport.html

The simple answer is this is what happens when you privatise public infrastructure. You get a whole lot of car parks, McDonalds and shopping malls.

Keg
26th Jun 2012, 23:19
You'd be happy to use Pearce as a destination alternate? The weather forecast on them is identical so not sure what the use of it would be in situations where PH requires an alternate.

That said, it sounds like you may fly for a foreign carrier who all carry destination alternates no matter what the forecast? What destination alternate do you normally carry for Perth? Kalgoorlie? Learmonth?

ozineurope
26th Jun 2012, 23:37
Easy answers

ILS's do not pay parking fees.
extra runway length does not pay - cant put a mall in there
PEA is usually as dodgy as Perth if there is bad weather.
Stop bars - could be there when ASMGCS appears - 201?
2nd runways take up valuable retail space
red/white lights assist aviation - not car parks.

Seriously though there has been some murmurs re a CAT11/111 ILS - but whose gunna pay. makes sense being an end of the line destination.

24/06 was proposed to be extended to around 2650m about 8 years ago - plenty of disquiet from the relevant minister's electorate so it died.

Stop Bars are an excellent safety addititve and should be pursued - up to industry to apply the pressure to the owner.

2nd runway - over the Perth Airport CEO's DB

red/white lights - again safety additive - apply the burners.

Capn Bloggs
27th Jun 2012, 00:25
YPEA cannot be used as a Destination Alternate but YPLM can?
It can't, actually (without specific RAAF HQ approval). Read your NOTAMs. :}

Why there are no stop bar lights at Runway holding points?
Are they the things designed to supplement those pathetic (probably ICAO) orange flashing lights in the grass beside each holding point, the ones that replaced the very effective HP flashing lights embedded in the taxiway right where you look? :E

scandistralian
27th Jun 2012, 12:11
Keg you picked it, nothing worse than severe CAVOK and carrying fuel for YPAD or YPLM

Cap'n Bloggs, hard to miss since its the only NOTAM :} but I keep getting assurance that this approval has been issued to my employer... Hence the why YPLM and not YPEA (if the wx is dodgy we generally carry YPAD, so not likely to ever visit YPLM)

So basically I understand it all boils down to cost, strange how third world airports are far better equipped, yet one of the worlds most isolated airports, in one of the most resource rich parts of the world, with known fog issues, has budget issues.

Maybe some of the proceeds of the carbon tax could go to preventing the carriage of unnecessary fuel into Perth, that is the visionary reason behind the carbon tax...or...? :rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the heads up all!

topend3
27th Jun 2012, 13:21
Are they the things designed to supplement those pathetic (probably ICAO) orange flashing lights in the grass beside each holding point, the ones that replaced the very effective HP flashing lights embedded in the taxiway right where you look?

You don't fly enough Bloggs, they are in the sealed shoulder...

There's 2 types of HP lights available for use in Australia, Pattern A and Pattern B. Pattern B are the inset guard lights you refer to.

:)

Capn Bloggs
27th Jun 2012, 14:39
You don't fly enough Bloggs, they are in the sealed shoulder...
Saw that tonight, TE3! I'm sure it looked like grass...far enough away from the taxiway CL to be grass anyway! :O

kellykelpie
28th Jun 2012, 05:33
Great thread Scandistralian. After years overseas, couldn't believe how poor the facilities are at Perth when I operated in here again (I'm born and bred there). It reminded me of Cambodia when I was expecting Singapore - 45m runway, no centerline lights, very poor taxiway lighting etc. it really made me question why there weren't more accidents there over the years - very 3rd World.

Then you get off, get greeted by the most power hungry, out of control Customs Officials on the face of the planet before having to wait an hour for your bag.

Thanks for noticing Scandistralian.

Captain Nomad
28th Jun 2012, 06:26
Ah, yes, but was there a 'Dome' restaurant and a 'Muffin Break' outlet in Cambodia? No, didn't think so. See? You gotta get your priorities right... :p :E

scandistralian
28th Jun 2012, 14:53
Despite no dome and muffin break, at least in Cambodia you can buy an ABC beer for only $1!

Kellykelpie, thanks mate, always good to hear from a fellow Sandgroper.

Last but not least... A few flights of steps to go down to an aero bridge that leaks when it rains??!!.... Maybe WAC aren't charging the airlines or retail operators enough? :}

Instead of tipping the bus driver next time maybe we should leave $5 in an envelope in the aero bridge to help bring the airport to standard.

Capn Bloggs
28th Jun 2012, 15:00
It reminded me of Cambodia when I was expecting Singapore - 45m runway
And a 60m runway would used for what, exactly?! :rolleyes:

scandistralian
28th Jun 2012, 15:21
When it is blowing dogs off chains in Perth, it is raining sideways and you are landing a heavy on a runway at night without centerline lights, I would prefer a 60m wide runway over a 45m one.

swh
28th Jun 2012, 16:39
That said, it sounds like you may fly for a foreign carrier who all carry destination alternates no matter what the forecast? What destination alternate do you normally carry for Perth? Kalgoorlie? Learmonth?

I don't have any alternate sometimes, just island reserve. MLE, HKT, and DPS sound like good alternates for PER.

2bigmellons
29th Jun 2012, 07:11
I hear a new radio advert on 96fm, stating how amazing the new long term parking at Perth airport is...

Thank f&%k we have all these extra long term car parks, so we can all get a good park with a good rate and some piece of mind while we are sitting in the hold at JULIM all bloody day.

nitpicker330
29th Jun 2012, 07:19
Just returned from RKSI ( ICN ) where they have 6 Approaches offering CAT 3B, 15LR 33LR and 16 34.

And Perth can't even offer 1 AWO approach!!!

kellykelpie
29th Jun 2012, 07:40
Quote:
It reminded me of Cambodia when I was expecting Singapore - 45m runway
And a 60m runway would used for what, exactly?!

Gee, an eye roll for suggesting I thought Perth had a 60m runway. It may come in handy for those round rubber thingies when things don't go as expected Ace.

Captain Biggles84
29th Jun 2012, 08:24
Typical Perth, Typical Australia

Just like majority of the operators within the Perth Airport. Reactive and light years behind with everything from customer service, Technology( in Aviation in Aus), Infrastructure the list keeps going.

I tell ya the first operator of whatever to become an "Innovative" player in whatever their field will reap all the glory.

We are hardly likely to see this as everything in Aus comes down to costs, budgets and greed..

Give Perth 10 years and will prob be just like Sydney.. Roads will turn to sh!t, Airport will finally install a CATII/III and property parts will still be ridiculous overpriced. By then we will be onto some other problems.. Hopefully we will have a Government that could organise a root in brothel with a wad full of $50's..

one can only dream

But aside from these flaws still plenty to love about Perth and Aus..

Hasherucf
29th Jun 2012, 09:17
Hopefully we will have a Government that could organise a root in brothel with a wad full of $50's..

They can do that with credit card's . Part of the governments problems :}

JONESING
8th Sep 2012, 14:29
Ahhhh!!!! I can't believe i missed a chance to cr@p on PH.

It's not just the aeronautical facilities that suck, but the roads (though nobody can actually drive well enough to notice), trading hours, public transport and most other hallmarks of development.

With all the goodies they drag out of the ground here, they should have 5 runways paved in gold and a ferris wheel.

UTC-25years.

RENURPP
8th Sep 2012, 21:14
My favourite "thing" about Perth are the jet streams heading east!:E