PDA

View Full Version : London City, LCY, to Oz, BNE or SYD

ttodd
26th Jun 2012, 11:22
Is it possible to get a good fare in business from LCY to BNE or SYD?

Saves up to 2hrs across London, the perils of LHR and the cost of the car.

EVA do quote a fare but their seats are totally uncomfortable and the route through Taipei a drag.

Can you check bags right through?

Are there agents who offer this?

We live 5 minutes from LCY...

ExXB
26th Jun 2012, 11:33
Find an airline, or an alliance that serves both LCY and your destination. LH, for example, connecting in FRA and SIN (SQ). They should quote you a through fare. In this case bags would be through checked.

Even an Interline connection should give you through check, provided its on a single ticket.

Tableview
26th Jun 2012, 11:33
The only way you'd do it is via a European hub such as AMS or FRA. Then onwards with another change, so it would always be a three segment journey.

You may not get good fares as the airlines serving routes out of LCY are concentrating on filling the planes with high yield traffic and because the pro-rated value on a through longhaul ticket would be low they would only offer a limited number, if any, lower fares. You would probably need to book well in advance.

On balance, going to LGW or LHR may be a better option.

The SSK
26th Jun 2012, 12:00
Have you worked out how much APD you would save by buying two tickets? - obviously you wouldn't get through checked bags that way.

Or maybe after the Olympix you could catch Eurostar from Stratford International and the Air Austral direct one-stop to Sydney from there. Now that would be an adventure.

Edit: 'there' being Paris of course.

PhineasC
26th Jun 2012, 12:15
Had a quick look at the BA website, they don't quote a price, but it must be possible LCY->JFK->SYD, this may not be the worst way to go, but business class only, better than LHR T3->Singapore->Sydney?

Gibon2
26th Jun 2012, 12:34
Three minutes on a couple of well-known online travel sites (ebookers, Kayak) gave me various options starting at around €5,000 in J class: KLM (and codeshares) via AMS and Asian hubs; BA/QF via FRA and SIN. It's not difficult to find or book, and the prices are within reason.

But like others, I have to wonder whether an extra stop is really less hassle than the trek to LHR.

ExXB
26th Jun 2012, 13:00
Had a quick look at the BA website, they don't quote a price, but it must be possible LCY->JFK->SYD, this may not be the worst way to go, but business class only, better than LHR T3->Singapore->Sydney?

Except that BA serve JFK - SYD via LHR. QF operate the route via LAX, but fares tend to be higher via AP. At one time JFK - Oz fares were higher than UK - Oz fares, meaning QF discouraged Europe traffic moving via the US.

esa-aardvark
26th Jun 2012, 14:21
Perhaps thinks about flying via Zurich, very compact airport.
I have flown via there a few times heading East, even with a 45
minute connection. You can get there from City and go on to Brisbane.

dhc83driver
26th Jun 2012, 21:02
BA LCY-FRA and link with Qantas FRA-SIN-BNE (or SYD) all one world, tends to be a common route, normaly have one or two people connecting with the Qantas.

SLFAussie
26th Jun 2012, 21:56
As much as I dislike Heathrow, you are probably better off flying from there. At best your flying time to Brisbane is going to be 23hours, with at least one stop. Every stop you add will adds three or more hours to the overall journey. A number of airlines will fly from LHR to BNE with only one stop, whereas you will always have three, possibly four if you fly from LCY. You're better off spending the time in a car or taking the Heathrow Express from Paddington.

Flying via the US isn't a good option - there is limited competition on the US-Australia route, so service and price suffers as a result.

Lord Bracken
27th Jun 2012, 04:53
There is a good fare available to oz at the moment from Finnair - £2500 return in Business - from LHR-HEL-HKG(or SIN)-SYD on Finnair/Cathay.

BA/AY fare to SYD - £2500 in J - FlyerTalk Forums (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1360748-ba-ay-fare-syd-2500-j.html)

ExXB
27th Jun 2012, 06:44
A number of airlines will fly from LHR to BNE with only one stop, whereas you will always have three, possibly four if you fly from LCY.

Two surely, I.e. LCY FRA SIN BNE, LCY ZRH BKK BNE, LCY HEL HKG BNE, etc.

I'd do it to avoid Heathrow, if the price was similar.

Why not do a round the world trip. With OW oneworld Explorer - oneworld (http://www.oneworld.com/flights/round-the-world-fares/oneworld-explorer/) you could do LCY JFK LAX SYD/BNE SIN FRA LCY.

PAXboy
27th Jun 2012, 15:02
The FRA or ZRH sounds the way to go, even if price is slightly higher. However, I'm sure you know to check that it is a sinlge ticket and that baggage limits are consistent for the whole route.

esa-aardvark
27th Jun 2012, 15:53
I have checked baggage through on split tickets, but only
with Star Alliance. Swiss & LH are both Star Alliance so
it might pay to ask. I would not bet on making a short
connection at FRA these days, and I have once been made
to go groundside and then back through security which can take
a while.

BAOREY
27th Jun 2012, 17:39
A very cost effective option is to book an AMS-LHR-Oz return flight with BA as the one I booked recently was about 40% of the cost of a straight LHR-Oz and that would let you do a quick puddle jump from LCY-AMS and still save a lot of money. its longer but worth the saving