PDA

View Full Version : UK issued Class 1 medical and Ireland.

Mick10rt
25th Jun 2012, 23:03
First of all sorry if this is being posted in the wrong forum. Please feel free to remove if so.

I currently hold a UK JAA class 1 medical. My question is will I be able to obtain a PPL in Ireland with this medical? In the past I was told that I would not but with the recent changes that came with EASA, I'm wondering if there has been any changes to this issue. I have tried to get some clarification from the IAA but they have been of little help. I have also contacted local clubs but they were unable to advise me. I would really like to hear from someone in a similar situation or from anyone who could offer some advice. Thanks in advance,

Mike

Sagit89
26th Jun 2012, 13:42
I hope I am not wrong, but regulations states something like: despite the school you studied in the licence will be issued with the authority you hold your initial medical with. Not the exact quote of course feel free to correct me. You can convert it to Irish one, but I see no reasons since all the licences work in all EASA states anyway, so you will be able to fly in Ireland with your UK CAA issued licence.

R

Fostex
26th Jun 2012, 14:59
It is unfortunately the same as it was with JAR. For initial licence issue the state in which the medical was obtained must be the same as the state of licence issue.

FAQ Answer | EASA Transition | Personal Licences and Training (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=2330&pagetype=70&gid=2134&faqid=1285)

You may apply for an EASA licence for each category of aircraft; but you may only hold one EASA licence for each category. All EASA licences issued to an individual must be from the same EASA Member State, which must be the State that holds the medical records for that individual.

Robot1
29th Jun 2012, 19:44
Just drop the Aeromedical section of the IAA an email. They've a new chief AMO, who appears to be a real asset the the company. The level of productivity and professionalism has soared since his arrival. My Irish colleagues have been astounded with the improvements.