PDA

View Full Version : AAA or EFT?

Rhino25782
25th Jun 2012, 22:17
Hello all,

For several weeks, I have been using this board to find information on PPL education. I found backpacker's detailed guide to JAA PPL and the subsequent discussion thread particularly helpful. Thank you for that.

I have more or less decided to do a full-time JAA PPL course in the United States beginning in early November and finishing in time before Christmas. I have also pretty much narrowed down the schools to either AAA (American Aviation Academy near San Diego, CA) or EFT (European Flight Training, Florida).

There's been feedback on both of these here and elsewhere on the internet, but I'd like to poll for some recent experience and apologize for the repeat subject. Especially for AAA, online feedback is not that good but it's also mostly outdated. I also recognize that people will more likely complain about bad experiences online than praise good ones.

As I have a slight preference for California over Florida for some minor personal reasons, I am looking for some reassurance if AAA is a good choice in 2012?

Any hints are highly appreciated...

sodaclub112
28th Jun 2012, 18:25
hej,

I just enrolled there. They seemed ok. I don't know anything more from my own expierence yet. I'll start there at the start of October, so you can pm me around then if you want tips or whatever.
Cheers

Rhino25782
3rd Jul 2012, 22:40
Hi Sodaclub,

Thanks for your comment!

Please do provide some feedback once you are in a position to do so.

It will probably be too late to help me with my decision-making process as if I want to begin in November, I'd have to make up my mind quite soon.

Anyone else have any own experience to share?

Cheers and thanks

zeroviz
4th Jul 2012, 19:07
I completed my PPL at AAA about 6 years ago when it was called Anglo American aviation.

I enjoyed San Diego and KSEE, it's a great place to fly with good weather and a good range of airports.

The school had some good instructors but like most schools the fleet was very well used.... I flew the warriors and a 172 as one of the 152's had a few issues.

There were a few minor issues with availability but things went fine for me. If you turn up to complete a PPL in 3 weeks you are setting yourself up for a fall. I went out and spent 3 weeks to complete my licence but I'd completed all my exams and was already doing cross countries. This meant I could enjoy the experience and get to grips with the RT and the different procedures.

The best advice I would give is to try and get some feedback from some current users as things change over time and things will have moved on. I would be surprised if cherokee 44293 is still going....

Eager pilot
3rd Sep 2012, 10:48
Hi Rhino

Did u find out more on AAA as I'm looking for a school in CA to do my ppl starting November. Do u tried CFS& SDFI in Dan Diego.

tomboo
3rd Sep 2012, 11:07
I went to EFT in January 2011, no major complaints

Rhino25782
3rd Sep 2012, 11:20
Hi Eager Pilot,

I have been in touch with the admissions officers of both AAA and EFT - but I am currently delaying my starting date.

I haven't looked into CFS and SDFI as they are to my knowledge not offering a UK-CAA certified JAA-PPL (for Europe.. this shouldn't be relevant for you if you are from Sydney).

Regards

r10bbr
29th Oct 2016, 01:02
any recent fellow peeps visited EFT or AAA?