PDA

View Full Version : Meal / layover allowance

maghy
25th Jun 2012, 21:35
Hi all,
Anybody would care to say what to expect in Emirates regarding Meal allowance nowaday's. Is it the same for everyone capt/ fo/ cabin crew ?
And what would the general average be ?

Thank's ! ;)

harry the cod
26th Jun 2012, 06:06
The meal allowances are just that, an allowance for your food. They are not a way to increase your salary like some airlines although some of our Delsi dinners and pot noodle brigade may think otherwise!

Allowances are based on the cost of meals in the hotel and are adjusted for discount. So, the net allowance from a hotel offering a 20% discount will probably be higher than one that offers 50%. Luanda will pay out approx $180 per day, Glasgow will net you around 55 quid. It's also dependent on the cost of living in the Country you stay in. As flight crew, some hotels offer lounge access, some include alcohol, some don't. Breakfast will be included in these. Internet access always available for flight crew and pursers.

To be honest, they do cover what they're designed for and i've never found it an issue......unless you drink gallons of booze and like ladies of the night!

Harry

millerscourt
26th Jun 2012, 06:15
harry the cod

How would you know what a lady of the night costs??:rolleyes:

av8tordude
26th Jun 2012, 06:44
Unless you are a boyscout, everyone knows "ladies of the night" are not free!

mauro delpiero
26th Jun 2012, 08:55
are these meal allowances given as cash upon arrival at the hotel? or do they get added at the end of the month to your paycheck? Thanks.

archer_737
26th Jun 2012, 10:30
Dear Maghy

According to what they told us in the HR briefing in Dubai, all the crew members receive the same amount in local currency except the captain, who receives a bit more in order to be able to make a call to the EK local representative or operations.

Think they said they give it to us in local currency inside an envelope.

Ready to pay the beers in the Hotel Bar!! :ok:

The African Dude
26th Jun 2012, 11:00
Can anybody share whether the type of hotels are airport or city centre, generally?

I was going to say that it can affect the cost of food & drink, but I guess that depends on the specific hotel.

Cheers!

archer_737
26th Jun 2012, 11:58
Contacted

I'm curious, do you know which hotel does EK use in Casablanca (Morocco)?

And starting July 3rd will be flying to Barcelona. Any idea about the Hotel there?

Cheers!

Bahamapilot
26th Jun 2012, 12:40
Good Idea, as the previous questions requesting specific hotels seems odd

archer_737
26th Jun 2012, 12:55
Bahamapilot

You're right, may seem odd but not at all. Just as simple as I've been leaving and working 4 years in Casablanca and know well city.

About Barcelona, is the place of my family, friends and myself. Just wondering where I will direct my colleagues to come visit me and take a drink.

Nevermind, will discover it by myself soon.

Inshallah :ok:

maghy
26th Jun 2012, 15:10
Dear all,Harry and Archer.
Thank's for the info, It corresponds to the info i had. Some posts in other threads/forums had me hesitating wheter they removed this amount from your basic income;) ? My previous airline was so sh:mad: that's the kind of thing they would do ! Hence the assumption. Regarding booze and lady's of the night, Well, let's talk about it around a pint shall we :ok:

Cheers.

OnceBitten
26th Jun 2012, 15:11
On joining you will be supplied with a hat, that hat is actually for the meal allowance. So when you check into the hotel you can sit out the front and giggle that hat with a few token dihrams and hopefully at the end have enough for a Big Mac! :ok: (unless you get mugged by the local vagrants then you go hungry. :()

I am joking of course............. :E

maghy
26th Jun 2012, 15:23
Well, let's hope they give me a big hat then ! A sombrero would do ;) !

archer_737
26th Jun 2012, 15:27
Glad to see that a pilots forum can be funny from time to time.

Sometimes it seems to be plenty of frustrated guys who ****s on everything the whole day :ugh:

Would not mine to take that pint :ok:

White Knight
27th Jun 2012, 14:37
Archer 737 - EK Casa hotel is the 'Novotel Casablanca'. It's ok, but the Hyatt was far better...

Contacted - MAN is an AIRPORT hotel, only 5 minute walk from the 'Romper' which is a 2 minute walk from the big barb-wire fence designed to keep Reggie S. Potter out:} You know, down near the Trident, Nimrod and half of a DC-10...

archer_737
27th Jun 2012, 15:06
Cheers Whit Knight!

Was expecting it to be Hyatt as is probably the best hotel in Casa.
Also a nice one called Palace d'Anfa in Boulevard d'Anfa. And of course the new one in one of the twin towers.

Sheraton is OK too, not far from Novotel. And all close to the Medina. My old friends the "fake Converse shoes sellers" will be happy to see me again :ugh:

Thanks again!

Monarch Man
27th Jun 2012, 15:37
Contacted - MAN is an AIRPORT hotel, only 5 minute walk from the 'Romper' which is a 2 minute walk from the big barb-wire fence designed to keep Reggie S. Potter out You know, down near the Trident, Nimrod and half of a DC-10...

Ahhh the Death Cruiser 10, I remember her so well :cool:

BYMONEK
28th Jun 2012, 18:11
If the DC-10 was known as the 'Death Cruiser', what was the MD-11 known as........... 'More Death?

Anyway, I thought the Monarch DC-10 was called the 'Disney Club' ten due to all the Orlando flights it did... when it wasn't tech that is! :uhoh:

HamFan
29th Jun 2012, 11:45
The latest from the Ivory Tower is meal vouchers in the Marriott chain. This would affect a lot of dests.

They've been working on this for about three years or so.