PDA

View Full Version : Northern Australia job hunting

jpilotj
25th Jun 2012, 21:22
G'day
I am aware this subject has been done to death on PPRuNe so my appologies for the post. I am looking to head up North for my first flying job at the end of the year. I am fully aware that this part of the industry operates on a "one out, next available in" basis.
I've heard alot of mixed messages about certain operators and locations from a wide range of experienced pilots who did the drive many years ago.
Could anyone suggest places/operators and towns with a more recent perspective.

Thanks alot,

Jpilotj

morno
25th Jun 2012, 21:40
The thing is, those towns/operators won't have changed much in the last 5 years, so the threads you speak of (if I remember correctly, the most recent one isn't even 12 months old!), will still have the same information that you are seeking.

'Going North' hasn't changed since I did it nearly 10 years ago.

Have a read of them first.

morno

Trojan1981
26th Jun 2012, 03:13
Mate, if it's for the end of the year you'll be into the wet season, so your chances of getting a first job will be low. Why not get some tailwheel time and go west for the summer. DEC will be recruiting firespotting/Air Attack pilots for work from November-April/May. It's a great first job. Pays reasonably, the aircraft are good and the flying can be fun. You'll pick up 300-odd hours and then move on in time to go north.