PDA

View Full Version : RNAS Yeovilton Air Day 2012

TipCap
25th Jun 2012, 13:44
I had the pleasure of being at RNAS Yeovilton's Air Day 2012. This was my first visit to Yeovilton's Air Day. Although the weather was not brilliant and there was a significant cross wind to the main runway and display line, it was certainly a well presented display.

Sadly the Vulcan wasn't serviceable and only the spitfire of the BoB Memorial Flight was able to flypast.

Only a brief glimpse of the Wildcat and no flying Merlins.

The finale was impressive, again bearing in mind the hefty crosswind.

I have to note that the "pleasure flight" Jetrangers must have been working to their limits as their take off path was crosswind at the best and downwind at the worst!

Of interest, I came across a Wessex Mk 5 in the static display and wondered whether I had come across that airframe in my service days.

http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv287/kernow_lad/P1030337.jpg

When I checked out my military logbook, I noted that XT458 (now in the markings of 845 NAS at Yeovil,) was the very first Wessex 5 I ever flew in with Mick Reece as my instructor on 707 NAS at Culdrose. It was my initial familiarisation flight on 8th June 1966 - which makes XT458 at least 46 years old (and me significantly older).

Again, well done to all involved and I look forward to my next visit to yeovilton

John