PDA

View Full Version : CPL - attitude requirements

Desert Strip Basher
25th Jun 2012, 09:11
I think a CPL is more about displaying personal command attitude than anything else. The complex differencies add a bit though otherwise it's pretty much a PPL to slightly tighter tolerances and in the test apart from joining another airfield (which some don't even do??) it's the same. If a PPL has been instructed correctly, then other than complex differencies this should all be in a students skill set. What do others think?

paco
25th Jun 2012, 10:15
We are of the opinion that there should be very little difference between the PPL and CPL. The PPL is the foundation of everything, which point seems to be missed by many schools and authorities.

Fostex
25th Jun 2012, 15:12
I believe this is what you are after.

Standards Document 03: JAR-FCL Notes for the Guidance of Applicants taking the CPL Skill Test (Aeroplanes) | Publications | About the CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1198)

BigGrecian
25th Jun 2012, 15:38
We are of the opinion that there should be very little difference between the PPL and CPL. The PPL is the foundation of everything, which point seems to be missed by many schools and authorities.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

However, Desert Strip Basher isn't too far off the mark either.

student88
25th Jun 2012, 15:39
The purpose of the CPL skills test is for the student pilot to demonstrate an ability in many areas. I agree to some extent that you must have the correct attitude, in a sense of being able to make decisions which take into account things such as safety and commercial awareness, but nowhere on the CPL skills test is this ability really and wholly tested.

The CPL skills test is flown as single pilot, so making a well informed decision is almost expected. In my opinion the ability to fly the aircraft to a high standard in airmanship, mechanical understanding, maintaining strict limits on altitude/heading holding and speed is the important factor. You need to demonstrate an ability to thoroughly prepare for a flight through planning the route, reading notams and reading the weather to a commercial standard.

I am yet to really begin my airline career but I imagine that this personal command attitude you speak of comes after hours and hours of sitting in the right hand seat after witnessing the good, the bad and the ugly. PPL flying doesn't generally offer the experiences which need quick decisions to be made e.g. weather beyond limits/low fuel etc/irregular operations etc.

You are training for a licence which will allow you (eventually) to build experience to a level where you may one day be trusted with the responsibility of taking overall command of an aircraft, it's not something that you get immediately on passing the skills test.

PURPLE PITOT
25th Jun 2012, 18:07
Something that i tried to ram home to my students, is that the second you sign your licence, and sign out an aircraft, you have taken ultimate responsibility for it, it's occupants, and everything it comes into contact with. You are the captain.

G CEXO
25th Jun 2012, 18:10
I found the CPL a nightmare and the multi IR a piece of cake. All the guys at my school expressed the same feeling.

Desert Strip Basher
27th Jun 2012, 09:27
Interesting G CEXO - why is that do you think?