PDA

View Full Version : John Lawton RNZAF, RAF

Vanpire
24th Jun 2012, 09:41
It is with great regret and sadness that I must inform you that John Lawton RNZAF and RAF passed away today.

John was an electronic warfare officer during the Falklands while flying Vulcan Bombers and continued on to the Royal New Zealand Airforce.

For those who knew John, he was an amazing person who had first hand insight on the going on during both the cold war and Falklands, he always offered me advice and guidance and was a stand out figure in my life.

Rest in peace my friend.

Rossian
24th Jun 2012, 12:55
I remember John from my first tour on 210 at BKY. A really rumbustuous character and with a great companion in Jess. He was the first guy that I heard of who took his wife on det to Malta in 1966. Seeing Jess's reaction to the delights of Strait street was wonderful to behold.
I believe, from third hand, that he had suffered some hard losses in his latter years.
I don't often do this but in his case I'll say, RIP John.

The Ancient Mariner

Samuel
24th Jun 2012, 23:41
I knew John Lawton. Met him in Wellington not long after he transferred to the RNZAF. Helluva good bloke. Where did he die?

Samuel
25th Jun 2012, 05:11
John was an electronic warfare officer during the Falklands while flying Vulcan Bombers and continued on to the Royal New Zealand Airforce.

Isn't that the other war around? He was in the RNZAF long before the Falklands, so if he was back on Vulcans then he must have rejoined the RAF.

Janda
25th Jun 2012, 05:26
John passed away in the Winara Retirement Home hospital in Waikanae, north of Wellington. He had struggled with his health for a couple of years. He leaves behind his wife Tina. I first met John in 1993 when he recruited me from the RAF to replace him in his position in Wellington. Before returning to NZ he had served in the RAF for 16 years. I did not know that he had flown in the Falklands war. He had also spent time in the RNZN after leaving school before joining the RNZAF as an Air Signaller.

Thank you John for giving me the opportunity to come to NZ. I am sure you are now happily sitting in Heavens Scruffs Bar talking to all your old mates. Have one on me mate and RIP.

Rossian
25th Jun 2012, 08:17
I'm pretty sure that John was on 360 and 51. He then returned to NZ.

The Ancient Mariner

Barksdale Boy
25th Jun 2012, 13:28
I knew John (always then known as Kiwi Lawton) on 50 Sqn at Waddo in 1970/71. He was an unforgettable character - an awesome sight in drag.

Shackeng
25th Jun 2012, 19:25
Sad news, I met Kiwi when he was an Air Sig on 42 Sqn. in '65, RIP John, remembering happy times.:ok:

Shackeng
25th Jun 2012, 19:27
I'm very sorry to hear this news. I knew 'Kiwi' when he was an Air Sig on Shacks on 42 in 1965. RIP John, here's to memories of happy times.:ok:

Whenurhappy
25th Jun 2012, 20:20
Did John Lawton have a son who was a NZ Army Dental Officer - who was killed in a private plane crash a few years ago?

Janda
25th Jun 2012, 20:35
Hi Whenurhappy
Yes John's son Guy was killed in December 2002 when his aircraft crashed shortly after take off from Feilding. Unfortunately, also on board with Guy were 2 of his sons. Guy had recently retired from the Army as a Lt Col. He was also one of the top maxillofacial surgeons in New Zealand. Do not think John ever recovered from this.

Rossian
25th Jun 2012, 21:34
check your PMs mate. (that's the private messages at top right)

The Ancient Mariner

Whenurhappy
26th Jun 2012, 07:00
Oh doubly sad.

Guy (son) was the J DentO at Wigram when I went through IOT - he repaired five years of student neglect and I avoided death by OHP! We became quite good acquaintances, as I returned a year later to NATTS for AE training (hence the link to his Dad, who interviewed me for my re-Branching in Stout Street). I lost contact when I went the other way and transferred to the RAF; I later read - with shock - of Guy's death (with his sons) when I was in Saudi. IIRC there were a couple of unusual aspects surrounding the crash. The loss to his father would have been cataclysmic.

NZWP

Vanpire
26th Jun 2012, 07:45
Tina, Johns wife, will love to hear these memories and stories. I will pass everything on.

Samuel
26th Jun 2012, 07:48
There were aspects to the crash: it was a 1978 Piper Navajo and owned by Guy. The AIC Report suggested it was out of control when it crashed. The loss of his son and two grandsons would have been a body blow to anyone, and JL would have been devastated by it, as would we all.

Vanpire
26th Jun 2012, 08:11
John is survived by his wife Tina who was at his bedside throughout. I know Tina would be very happy and reassured if you could share any stories. Please pm me any personal messages you might like to pass on.

Many thanks.

Chris McKoy.

Whenurhappy
26th Jun 2012, 10:49
Samuel - check your PMs.

Samuel
26th Jun 2012, 19:59
According to my morning paper today Wednesday, John was privately cremated and his ashes scattered at sea off Mana Island [West coast of the North Island just north of Wellington].

RIP Biggles.

Janda
26th Jun 2012, 20:49
Spoke to Tina, John's widow, last night and yes he has been cremated already. He requested a low key affair and that is what it was. His ashes will be scattered near Mana Island when weather improves.