PDA

View Full Version : Roush blamed in NTSB report Oshkosh.

maxred
24th Jun 2012, 09:38
NTSB RULES PILOT ERROR IN ROUSH OSHKOSH CRASH

NASCAR team owner and AirVenture regular Jack Roush says he accepts the findings of the NTSB report released Friday that blamed him for the crash of his Hawker Beechcraft 390 business jet at AirVenture 2010. But Roush also told The Sporting News the NTSB could have taken into account the circumstances that led to him stalling the aircraft and crashing it on the infield by Runway 18R during the show on July 27, 2010.
Jun 23, 11:58pm

Plane crash that injured Jack Roush attributed to pilot error - NASCAR - Sporting News (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nascar/story/2012-06-22/jack-roush-plane-crash-pilot-error-2010-oshkosh-wisconsin-ntsb-report)

http://dms.ntsb.gov/aviation/AccidentReports/1qyjjse2wzezbdasqkqrcc551/M06232012120000.pdf

On watching the video, the problems started on base leg, and continued onto final, ending in a dogs breakfast of a situation.

Pilot DAR
24th Jun 2012, 11:29
On watching the video, the problems started on base leg, and continued onto final

Yes, I agree....

fernytickles
24th Jun 2012, 11:50
On watching the video, the problems started on base leg, and continued onto final, ending in a dogs breakfast of a situation.

I would venture that the problems started when the decision was taken to fly a corporate jet (albeit one designed for s/p operation), single pilot, into Oshkosh during AirVenture. Any other time of the year, no problem. During that week? That is a considerable increase in workload, and is an environment unlike any other anywhere else.

I'm sure it has been done before, and probably will still happen on a regular basis, but is it a wise choice to make? I'm not so sure.

maxred
24th Jun 2012, 13:05
Ferny as you are aware we have arrived on day 1 in the frenetic atmosphere of the 'arrivals' and continued throughout the week. It is certainly a charged and very challenging atmosphere, you are correct, unlike anything I have witnessed before.

This is a classic 'look at me approach', eyes wide shut, and ears also wide shut. Thankfully no fatalities, but it could easily have been a total disaster. A salutary lesson in - wits keep about you, eyes and ears totally open, and when it all begins to go pear shaped, throttles fully forward.

peterh337
24th Jun 2012, 13:13
I think that mainly he just didn't watch the speedo and let the speed bleed off, and eventually stalled.

He should have gone to full power, initially without climbing; he had plenty of height (50-100ft?).

As regards flying to busy events, nobody is perfect and that is why I won't fly to some of these. I didn't fly to Sywell (with their crazy "non radio holding patterns on base leg") last year, and when I went this year I departed at the earliest possible instant from my base, to get there as early as possible, to minimise the chance of hitting somebody. I go to Friedrichshafen but I go IFR which gives one some level of protection from crazy pilots. I would not fly to a big VFR-only event in France; I've already had two cases of being cleared to join base at exactly the same time a French pilot was cleared (in French) to join on the opposite base (LFAT, 2002 & 2011). At home, when I hear there are 6 or 7 in the circuit and 3 more in the overhead (each one uselessly looking for the other 2), I sod off and come back 20 mins later. Only Roush could have made that decision for himself. I think most pilots will fly to busy events (self evidently true ;) ) without worrying about it. One could argue that if you cannot do a go-around (from any position) then you should not be flying, especially a jet.

AdamFrisch
25th Jun 2012, 08:37
Roush is/was a very experienced pilot, so I'm sure some external factors played a part in this and he got distracted and let it get to slow. But it's a reminder that it can happen to all of us.

maxred
25th Jun 2012, 09:54
Adam, I have no doubt he was, but on the Biz Jet thread, regarding the Citation 750, which crashed in Germany, lots of talk regarding owner attitude/ego.

Not saying it would be the case in this incident, but if you watch the video, the base leg is low, the speed looks quite fast, the turn is steep, everything is going wrong, and I understand that distraction appears to have played a big part in this incident, but surely, all aspects of flight can have distraction. If the approach had been stable, with a longer final, which is what he would have been used to, say at his home base, then the distractions could have been managed. Distractions are an everyday part of flying, and are 'managed; as part of the process.

This would appear to have been a classic case of bringing a biz jet in to land, in an air display manner. Now it would have looked great if the whole thing had ended in a landing, but he nearly killed himself and a passenger, totalled a beautiful aeroplane, and could have resulted in ground based casualties. Sad, and as you say, a sober reminder that it can and could happen to us all.

007helicopter
25th Jun 2012, 10:15
At home, when I hear there are 6 or 7 in the circuit and 3 more in the overhead (each one uselessly looking for the other 2), I sod off and come back 20 mins later.

Simple strategy, I will certainly consider that more clearly myself.

maxred
25th Jun 2012, 13:28
'they're dead'

A very astute comment, and thankfully, they were not. Although very lucky.

Thats a very accurate take on the incident. Difficult from the pilots point of view, but none the less, reality:\

The pitch up, when the aircraft is abeam the camera, I assume was the power, albeit, not a lot of power, being applied?

Hodja
25th Jun 2012, 14:20
Also the guy was 68 years old at the time of the crash - kinda high for a pilot in a single-pilot jet, especially for one doing airshow maneuvers; maybe he tought he was just as sharp as in his 20-30s...