PDA

View Full Version : Low flying Hercules in Dorset 1979-1980

taylorius
23rd Jun 2012, 19:57
Hi

I realise this may be rather a long shot, but when I was young (primary school age), there was a Hercules that would fly very low over our school, and my house. I grew up in the countryside, between Wimborne and Blandford, in Dorset, and this was approximately 1979-1980.

I remember I would always hear it coming, before I could see it, due to trees blocking distant viewing, so it would always make me jump when it suddenly loomed from somewhere, and roared overhead. Needless to say, as a young aviation nut, I loved this.

Anyway, I was wondering whether anyone on here might know where it was flying from - and of course, if anyone remembers being on such flights (As I said, a long shot...)

I'm not a flier myself, but I've enjoyed reading the reminiscences of old flying exploits on this forum, so it's nice to make your acquaintance

Best Regards

Matt Taylor

reynoldsno1
25th Jun 2012, 03:03
I was brought up in the same area (Lytchett Minster), and had a brother who was on 30 Sqn at one time. There was a low level route across Dorset that was in regular use - often saw Fat Alberts myself from the late 60's onwards. The OCU was at Thorney Island ISTR, plus Fairford as well as Lyneham hosted Sqns - they eventually all moved to Lyneham.

I think it was busiest when Salisbury Plain was being used for exercises.

Dengue_Dude
25th Jun 2012, 16:54
Yep, it was a standard type of route, often around Dartmoor or down through Wales (Wye valley was favourite) then eastwards, often using the Cerne Abbas Giant (Biggus Dickus) as a waypoint, can't imagine why . . .

Then we'd drop people or boxes onto the Plain (several different DZ) or even land on strips if so tasked. Other routes were via Smokey Joe, a cement factory (for the life of me I can't remember its proper name).

So it wasn't just one Hercules, it was lots of them indulging in legalised hooliganism at 250' :E

OmegaV6
25th Jun 2012, 21:07
There's a village down that way called "Henstridge", the crossroads in the town were a well used turning point on the canned routes used by the Tactical Training Flight (TTF) for the course.

An elderly aunt of mine was considering buying a bungalow in the town, and was complaining that the estate agent would only book visits for Saturdays .......

I always wondered what whoever purchased it thought the first time they were there on a weekday and 9 ship JATFOR came wandering by.........

:)

Milo Minderbinder
25th Jun 2012, 21:19
"crossroads in the town" = The "Virginia Ash" pub
Where Walter Raleigh was busy puffing away on his pipe, and a bar wench threw a pint of beer over his head because she thought he was on fire

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Jun 2012, 22:58
Dengue Dude.
I'm guessing the Smokey Joe in question is the Bratton Cement Works, just NE of Westbury. This would have given you a nice view of the Westbury White Horse for your scenic tours.

Big Hammer
26th Jun 2012, 10:06
Re the "Virginia Ash". Apparently Sir Walt owned the old Sherborne Castle. That one did burn down and no serving wench available to douse the flames.

Rocket2
26th Jun 2012, 11:51
Smokey Joe at Westbury kicked the habit a few years ago, waiting for the demolition men now, the best wind sock in the area is no more

taylorius
26th Jun 2012, 14:01
Hi

Thanks a lot for all the replies, it sounds like doing those low level flying runs must have been brilliant. It's fascinating that you used landmarks as waypoints. No GPS in those days I suppose.

250 feet is properly low! I remember at the time, one of my fellow primary school pupils swearing blind that he'd seen the hercules going under the wires of the national grid pylon, next to our school. :-) I suspect he was exaggerating *SLIGHTLY*

Thanks again for the stories guys, it really refreshes the memories for me.

noweiire
26th Jun 2012, 14:16
Then we'd drop people or boxes onto the Plain (several different DZ) or even land on strips if so tasked. Other routes were via Smokey Joe, a cement factory (for the life of me I can't remember its proper name).

Dengue_Dude
26th Jun 2012, 18:08
Yep, that was it, Westbury and the white horse was magnificent. Actually, as you said, it made a great windsock as it wasn't far off the IP for the run in anyway.

Got to be honest, that's the only flying I really miss. I used to love Tac flying, getting paid for something I would have done for nothing (only joking).

I think the Scottac was best, out of Kinloss and low level all the way back to Lyneham via the Plain - didn't half make your car feel smooth when you left the car park ;)

ExAscoteer
26th Jun 2012, 19:14
I think the Scottac was best

Oh yes the Scottacs. :ok:

Just so long as you managed to avoid the 'Balmoral Magnet'!

taylorius
26th Jun 2012, 20:22
Hi

Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies, it's fascinating to hear about the low level Tac flying. For some reason I love it that they used prominent landmarks as waypoints during flights. Dengue_Dude, I can definitely understand why you would miss it, it just sounds brilliant!

I used to always listen for the sound of approaching engines, I would see Hercules, Jaguars (christ they were loud!), and Chinooks, which made my favourite noise of all, going in and out of phase with the wind, sometime barely audible, but then growing in resonance to a great chopping roar. But I think to find yourself automatically ducking under a low flying Hercules was surely the top prize.

Thanks again Guys

Matt Taylor

Cpt_Pugwash
26th Jun 2012, 21:53
DD, Rocket2,
I think the Smokey Joe symbol on the map referred to the Norbord factory at South Molton. There was a thread here some years ago regarding the map, where I tried to get the Westbury cement works chimney added with no success. The Lafarge (ex Blue Circle) plant is now in mothballs, and probably wont re-open given the state of the construction industry. The site is still used as distribution centre for Lafarge products.

Edit : This is the thread (http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/259134-aviators-map-britain.html) I was thinking of, there are also a couple more.

deltahotel
26th Jun 2012, 22:21
And then one day in 1990 someone invaded Iraq. And we pitched up at Lyneham, yet again, to fly Albert eastbound and there was a letter on the notice board in flight planning along the lines of "we used to see a lot of you guys low flying down here in the south-west. It's all gone very quiet - we know why you're all away, but we miss you and hope you all stay safe".

Don'ttouchthat!
27th Jun 2012, 07:28
Slight thread - or course - drift. As a schoolboy in a school in a valley just to the east of Bath in the late 1970s, Geography lessons in a room with a window facing north up the valley were occasionally enlivened by the site of a Hercules heading South popping into view over the crest and - for a tantalising moment - appearing to head straight for us, before pulling away to the left. If you're out there, thank you. Used to make our day. And what were you up to?

Dengue_Dude
27th Jun 2012, 11:58
Glad it was enjoyed . . . as has been said many times and mostly by Boring Old Farts like I've become - 'Nostalgia's not what it used to be'.

But thanks for raising a smile of fond memories.

As for the 'Balmoral Magnet', I presume you mean the 'Guiness Factory' - they too have a little harp on their flag . . .

Reminscent of Queen on phone enquiring about Balmoral being wired by Hercules 'Is that aircraft in trouble?', answer purported to have been 'Not yet Ma'am' :ok:

Vitesse
27th Jun 2012, 18:19
I recall being driven south through Dorset one day as a small boy and having a Hercules pointed out to me and being told that this was one of the places they trained.

I also recall looking down on the aircraft. Memory must be playing tricks!

ihoharv
28th Jun 2012, 03:00
I was a Herc Co on 47 in the early-80's and would occasionally have some say in LL routing in LFA2 - SW England - usually on the way up to the Plain, sometimes Studland Bay.

Was born and raised in and around Bridport, West Dorset, and the Mansion (aka mum's council house) was on the north side of town.

You get the general drift from here (probably more so than the Nav..). Heading East'ish I could wave to her...or at least in the general 'hood.

happy days.

barnstormer1968
28th Jun 2012, 10:06
To the East of Bristol I used to see the same Hercs, but this was the early '80s.
I saw them from a first floor English classroom window, and also used to love seeing the red and white hawks at low level too.

As a primary school boy I used to see Argosies and Andovers on my way home from school.

treadigraph
28th Jun 2012, 12:01
Whilst on the subject...

In the late '70s/early '80s at my school, south west of Guildford, we would regularly see Hercs do a dozen or more circuits at low level over Farnham way, apparently something to do with Hankley Common, or so it was said. (It wasn't Snoopy from Farnborough by the way.)

Too low for meat bombing, possibly some other form of low level drop exercise - proved almost (but not quite) as good a distraction from maths and English as the view of the girls’ tennis courts!

Add to that a certain Mr Farley and friends shattering the peace in a variety of Harriers and Hawks from Dunsfold, it's no wonder my maths is very shaky.

Dave Fry
28th Jun 2012, 13:54
Matt and all from Darzett,
Thought you might like this.
http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp98/Fryboy47/img400.jpg
Cheers
Dave

taylorius
12th Jul 2012, 12:40
Dave

That is AWESOME! When was the picture taken?

Whopity
12th Jul 2012, 14:08
and of course, if anyone remembers being on such flights I wish I had a pound for every one. In 79/80 there were just two Tactical Squadrons at Lyneham, 70 and 47 so the aircraft would be from one of those. Aircraft operated individually, in pairs and 3 ships. I recall one 9 ship on a Saturday morning where a F111 flew right threw the formation at 90 degrees, don't think he saw us. Usually about an hour and a half low level finishing up at a drop zone on Salisbury Plain

DX Wombat
12th Jul 2012, 14:12
:D :D :D :D :D
So now we know why the Giant is wielding his club - he's swatting Ancient British Flying Machines. ;)

BossEyed
12th Jul 2012, 14:29
DX, I hate to be a pedant*, but "Ancient USAF Flying Machines", I think.

Looks like 'European 1' camo, and a Stars & Stripes on the tail.

Great pic, anyway. I remember seeing one of a Hot Air Balloon at the same place, with the basket on the Giant's non-club hand. The HAB envelope had "Durex" written all over it. :D

*No, of course I don't, really. :}

DX Wombat
12th Jul 2012, 15:40
BossEyed, I was thinking of prehistoric times prior to the invention of the lovely Hercules. ;) You do, however, have a valid point. :)

Dave Fry
12th Jul 2012, 16:47
Matt
It is indeed a USAF Maryland ANG Herk and if memory serves, it would have been 97/98-if important I can look up logbooks. (if I can find them !) We presented them a hooj poster of it, which last time I was there, was still in their crew-room. I'm scanning pics at the mo and if I find any more, I'll let you know,
Cheers
Dave

Brian 48nav
12th Jul 2012, 16:58
Assuming Hercs were doing the same when you saw them as they were up to end of '73 (when I left), they were dropping paratroops on Hankley Common DZ.
We used to pick them up at Odiham and cross the Farnham area on the way to the IP (place the run-in to the drop zone started from) at The Hogs Back Hotel and after dropping do a left hand circuit towards Godalming and back round to the Hogs Back.

The main low level route in my day IIRC went from Ramsbury disused airfield to Ropley Stn then to a X-Roads on the A29 north of Pulborough, skirting south of Gatwick Zone to a roundabout at Washington before coasting out east of Littlehampton.

Past a lightship (can't recall the name), then south of St Catharine's Point on the IOW before coasting in near Swanage at Ballard Point. Then past the Arne oilfield to Maiden Newton Stn, right turn to Henstridge X-Roads,on to Westbury Stn and perhaps dropping at Keevil DZ or returning to Fairford or Lyneham.

Not too bad a recall for 40 years ago - but I can't remember what I had for lunch!

Milo Minderbinder
12th Jul 2012, 17:25
It was a common sight to see them slightly east of Henstridge - flying low level NE along the River Stour valley at Gillingham (Dorset). If they continued that line they would hit the A303 at Mere and be on a straight line for Westbury

Groups of Army Lynx sometimes flew the same route

Dengue_Dude
12th Jul 2012, 17:57
Ah, seeing Biggus Dickus is like meeting an old friend.

Mildly interesting point is, we were always looking at him through the left window i.e. we were heading east, this aircraft is going North West.

I know . . . I need to get out more ;o)

OmegaV6
12th Jul 2012, 21:17
Seeing as its a Dave Fry piccie, and a Maryland ANG herc ... my guess it was taken during a "Longlink" exchange, and the yanks went around for a second look at Biggus .......

:)

FAL
12th Jul 2012, 21:53
To confirm the "looking through the left window" RAF routing seemed to usually pass south of Cerne Abbas, some almost to the A35, and the ones heard from my house were all west to east, often in the dark.

Just before the D-Day 50th, a US Coastguard cutter was arriving in local waters and had launched its helo on what was clearly a sight-seeing trip. When the female pilot contacted Portland, it semed they were directing her to take a more inland route - in the direction of Cerne Abbas...

Dave Fry
13th Jul 2012, 10:41
Aha-almost correct Omega-it was a 'Cross-Ske' exchange. Memory is fading but IIRC it was a Nav/Airdrop competition and we managed to bag an extra frame for some air to air shots-got some later that day of Hercs and A-10s together over Lyneham field. Happy days.....

dagama
13th Jul 2012, 15:25
Brian 48nav

Fantastic recall of the LL route. I remember Semington roundabout (south of Melksham) featured on some routes depending on the DZ. Can't ever forget the church steeple at Bishops Canning as the TAP for Everleigh.

Anybody recall the admiral at Slindon who was forever complaining about low-flying Hercs from TI. IIRC, we could not be below 731 feet on the Tangmere QNH when flying over his mansion! Tangmere was the DZ before landing at TI.

Whopity
13th Jul 2012, 17:27
Anybody recall the admiral at Slindon who was forever complaining about low-flying Hercs from TI.They continued to avoid his place until someone discovered he had died several years earlier!

Chugalug2
13th Jul 2012, 17:28
Brian 48nav:
Past a lightship (can't recall the name),
It was the Owers Lightship, and now according to Wikki a wreck in Tel Aviv Harbour:
Lightvessels in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightvessels_in_the_United_Kingdom)