PDA

View Full Version : BA pilot demographics?

flyinglondon
23rd Jun 2012, 16:31
Hi Everyone,

Have finally registered on this site after months of on and off visiting / reviewing.

Question for BA pilots (or others in the know...)

How "British" are BA pilots? By this I mean are the vast majority British born and bred? What about expats?

What I'm specifically trying to get to is this - how rare is it to find American citizens flying for BA (e.g. an American expat with dual EU nationality who has lived in the UK for years, has done UK pilot training, etc).

Same question also for easyJet / Ryanair pilots.

cheers!

JimNich
24th Jun 2012, 09:04
FL

Strangely enough I was having a conversation about this very subject (almost) a couple of days ago on the way back from Manchester. I noted that not so long ago the UK airwaves were full of Aussie, Kiwi and Springbok accents and this seems to be very much deminished now. This of course is not identical to your situation, but close in that they were not British born and bred but had the right to work here and had the requisite licence, so no problem.

I think the problem you will face (except Ryanair who will give anyone a chance who is willing to pay for their rating) is that recruiting is now a fairly closed shop. If you haven't been through one of the cadetship/sponsored schemes, British or not, you stand next to no chance of being hired.

But in answer to your question, no, I don't think your citizenship will be much of a hurdle. If you have the right to live and work here, have the experience, qualifications and money needed for the post, you stand as much chance as anyone and it will come down to the interview should you be fortunate enough to get one.

I am prepared to stand corrected on the BA front as I don't work for them and this is just my opinion. I'd also say check out the Interview forum but I'm guessing you've already done that.

Good Luck! :ok: