PDA

View Full Version : Licences Question

FlyingGoggles
23rd Jun 2012, 11:22
Right, last night was at an event at my university, showing my latest film - all about GA flying. I'd done a nice little display board with a digita photo frame showing some production stills, was all very fun and entertaining.

During the evening someone came up to me saying he loved flying and could we talk planes? Yeah, no problem I said. We had a chat and he came out with this quote:

"I was looking at University courses to be able to go into the airlines. I found one but it was £70,000 a year. But at the end of that you had your frozen JAR PPL. That means you can fly passengers on commercial jets."

Now, I've done my research and asked if he meant a frozen ATPL, because your PPL was the first licence you got. He said no, that was the right name, frozen JAR PPL.

Now, my BS detector was ringing, and this guy admitted he was a 7/10 on the drunk scale.

Was he right though? Or was my research? I've got this nagging feeling I probably made a fool of myself by trying to prove someone wrong, who was in fact, right.

10 DME ARC
23rd Jun 2012, 12:12
A frozen JAR ATPL means you are a qualified commercial pilot (CPL and ATPL) able to co-pilot large transport aircraft however the ATPL does not become valid until you achieve 1500 flying hours, hence the use of the word frozen.
;)

custardpsc
23rd Jun 2012, 12:26
your BS detector serves you well.

FlyingGoggles
23rd Jun 2012, 13:39
10 DME ARC, I get that about the ATPL, but this gentleman was adament that you could co-pilot, say a 737 with a frozen PPL

Glad the detector seems to be working again, had problems with that in the past :)

MarkerInbound
23rd Jun 2012, 13:50
What would a "frozen" PPL be? "I've passed my exams but I don't have any flight time."

Denti
23rd Jun 2012, 13:57
Ain't that the MPL? Max 80 hours flight time and yet the license allows to fly transport category airplanes.

10 DME ARC
23rd Jun 2012, 14:51
Ah I see no I just thought he/you meant ATPL??

No such thing as a frozen PPL!!! PPL is a private pilots licence you cannot fly any thing but light singles!!