PDA

View Full Version : Exam validity

Blohm
23rd Jun 2012, 07:49
Hello there,

anyone in the same boat? Did my 14 JAA ATPL exams 3 years and one month ago at Gatwick. Am flying on B.747 aircraft since 15 years with an american ATP (FAA). Last few years in JAA compliant countries.
Been told my exams expired, and I am possibly facing a resit. Any chance for an extension since I need a little more time to schedule for the observed skillstest for the issuance of an EASA ATPL.
If anyone has had the same experience, and found a way out, please let me know.

ford cortina
23rd Jun 2012, 22:16
My gut reaction would say nit. However, talk to the CAA. They will be able to give you a correct answer

fwjc
23rd Jun 2012, 22:52
This happened to a friend of mine.

All the FAA tickets, JAA ATPL writtens as well as the Skills Test. But delayed in sending the paperwork into the CAA for issue due to personal circs. Submission was made three years and two weeks after the writtens were completed.

CAA rejected the whole lot with resits for everything required.

Doesn't sound very hopeful, but don't let that put you off trying!
Good luck.

paco
24th Jun 2012, 06:33
I haven't got LASORS in front of me, but I think you will find the exams last for 7 years - there is a requirement to get the IR within 3 years though, unless that's just for helicopters.

The exam changeover might not be helping either.

Blohm
25th Jun 2012, 21:35
..first of all thank you for you replies. Have called the CAA, was told to make a written request, 4 weeks ago. No word since. Thanks Phil, I thought it was 7 years as well, if you continue to fly on an ICAO ATP in the meantime. Now it appears that it not only has to be an ICAO, but also JAA issued license. Getting your IR within 3 years extends the validity to 7 years to get your ATP. My reference three years ago just stated that if I would continue flying on my FAA ATP, I should be good for 7 years. I still hope that there is some way to justify an extension, or that the 7 year rule simply applies in my case. I continue to fly airplanes registered in JAR complying countries, get my recurrent classes and skill tests done by JAR rules and TRE and TRI s, to keep my validation. Please let me know if you have any further ideas.

VJW
25th Jun 2012, 22:48
Hi

I use to work in the very department you emailed at the CAA. The 7 years you are talking about is if you do the JAR ATPL's and only obtain a JAR CPL and IR within the 3 years of the exam validity. They are then 'banked' for 7 years validity from the date of expiry of your most recent IR (this can be an ICAO IR, and in your case your B747/IR rating would suffice) for the future upgrade to the full JAR ATPL.

Simply put you have 3 years from the last exam to obtain either a JAR CPL and IR, or in your case most like directly the JAR ATPL with an observed skill test on a multi-pilot type. As this hasn't been done, you'll probably need a miracle to avoid doing these tests again I'm very sorry to say. Unless you had an extremely good reason that you were not able to do it within that time frame, I can't see them giving an extension. Unless you were medically unfit for the whole 3 years, they'd expect you to get it done, especially after all the effort you must have put in to get the theory exams passed in the first place.

paco
26th Jun 2012, 05:27
Well, there's interesting - so it doesn't have to be a JAA IR........

Phil

Aware
26th Jun 2012, 06:57
There is a thread on here under the Spanish forum. I believe the CAA changed the rules without telling anybody. An ICAO licence/IR does not extend the 36 month validity period of the exams, Petitions I believe are on the way to the CAA, a lot of people have been effected by this.

BigGrecian
26th Jun 2012, 18:58
They are then 'banked' for 7 years validity from the date of expiry of your most recent IR (this can be an ICAO IR, and in your case your B747/IR rating would suffice) for the future upgrade to the full JAR ATPL.

Got a reference for that?

Also be aware this no longer exists under the new EASA regulations - you must keep the EASA IR current which gives you 7 years every time you retake the IR.