PDA

View Full Version : Who can verify entries in logbook?

training wheels
23rd Jun 2012, 01:18
I've started on my second logbook and with this new logbook (from Airservices Aust), there's a box on each page which says "Entries Verified" with space provided for ARN and signature. This wasn't on my last logbook (which is the old Dept of Aviation style logbook). So just wondering, who has the authority to sign and verify the entries of my logbook?

Horatio Leafblower
23rd Jun 2012, 01:39
1/. Throw the Airservices logbook away - they're rubbish. Spend $22.00 on an Aviation Theory Center logbook.

2/. Your logbook entries while training need to be certified every calendar month by a flight instructor.

3/. Your logbook entries while working as a pilot might be certified by your CP or other supervisory pilot, but I don't believe there is a legal requirement that it is so.

4/. Your logbook entries as a Private Pilot might be certified by you or some other person placed to certify/verify that your entries are all genuine.

Given the penalties and so on associated with falsifying logbook entries I would think that adding your signature ("Cross my heart and hope to die, etc) is slightly unneccesary but there you go. I suppose there is always the possibility that someone else has filled in your logbook for you (oh to be so lucky) and you are certifying their entries made on your behalf.

After 20 years and into the 5th logbook the only organisation that certified my logbook entries was my flying school. No employer has ever done so.

clear to land
23rd Jun 2012, 14:29
If you ever want to work in the Middle East you will find that they need to be certified by your employer-I had to get my civilian ones done by HOFO prior to employment. Military ones are certified every month by your OC/CO. Since being in the Middle East, I have certified my own as an ATPL holder-figure as I am liable I have the right to certify it! Is it necessary-well we live in a box ticking society and can't have blank boxes can we?

training wheels
24th Jun 2012, 12:55
Thanks for the detailed response Horatio Leafblower:

Your logbook entries while working as a pilot might be certified by your CP or other supervisory pilot, but I don't believe there is a legal requirement that it is so.

If that's the case, then I won't worry about getting it signed and verified .. and considering there are very few responses here, I assume that a) not many people use the Airservices Logbook, and b), it's not such a big deal to not get it verified in my context

well we live in a box ticking society and can't have blank boxes can we?

So does CASA actually look at our logbooks when we apply for the ATPL? I'm wondering whether not having that box signed will affect my application for the ATPL license ... :confused:

By George
24th Jun 2012, 21:42
'Clear to Land' is offering good advice, the same applies to the Far East. No log-book verification means no job. SQ certify their pilots logs once a year with a company stamp and a summary of hours flown P1, P2 etc. I must admit it has always been a little slack back in Aus but I would still try and get my employer to sign every now and then. Once in Ansett it was signed by a roster clerk, no matter, the company stamp was there.
On joining SQ there is a very famous lady who has been the demise of many applicants, her first task was to check over your documentation, the lack of log book stamps caused a very early halt to the proceedings. (lovely lady when you got to know her, but she took no prisoners).

Capt Fathom
24th Jun 2012, 23:41
So which employer is going to verify your logbook? Puts them in a rather unique legal position, and one they could probably do without!

One of my logbooks was verified in 1977, at my last flying school. None have been verified since!

There are probably many others in the same situation. Our rules therefore make us unemployable in some countries, apparently!

GAFA
25th Jun 2012, 01:49
Five log books and only the first one was last verified back in the early 90's when I was learning to fly. Since then I've flown with numerous GA companies, 3 regionals and 2 majors and not one has cared about the lack of verification.

clear to land
26th Jun 2012, 10:16
I go back to my previous comment-if you want to work outside of Australia-it is a requirement that you present certified logbooks. No employer should have an issue with doing this for an employee.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
29th Jun 2012, 16:11
Option 1

Go to OfficeWorks
Buy a sheet of mailing labels
Open a Word or OpenOffice mailing label template
Paste a company logo and wording similar to "Entries checked against company records and found to be correct" on to each label
Put the labels on every page
Get the most senior employee you can find to sign (even if it's after the date they are still just checking "against company records"
Make copies

Option 2

Go to OfficeWorks
Buy a personalised rubber stamp with wording similar to "Entries checked against company records and found to be correct" and maybe some other phrases (one for each company).
Get the most senior employee you can find to sign (even if it's after the date they are still just checking "against company records"
Make copies

FRQ CB

training wheels
29th Jun 2012, 23:06

That's the part that I, and from what it appears from the feedback on here, many others have trouble with. The "entries verified" statement are already there in the log book (see my original post). Getting access to an official company stamp is no trouble. But getting someone to check my entries against company records and verify them as true and correct is easier said than done. I actually don't mind doing this myself, but would it be considered dodgy if I verified my own records against a company print out of my flight records?

neville_nobody
30th Jun 2012, 00:56
The reality in Australia is that it has been a honour system, that 99% of pilots take seriously and I doubt very few actually have any serious parker pen time. The industry is so small that you will have a higher probability of getting caught than actually getting away with it. Australian operators always take you at your word and as long as you don't have unusual amounts of time (ie high amounts of instrument time during the NT dry etc) noone is going to question you.

Not unusual for CASA to audit logbooks and cross check them against flight records and the like however they won't sign your logbook though!

I think there were some lads who got zero timed a while back after getting caught out faking twin time so it can happen.

FRQ Charlie Bravo
4th Jul 2012, 14:47
Yes the entries verified entry is in your logbook so I suppose use that if you prefer. I would always say that anybody in the company who is reportable or responsible to a governing body (CP/CASA, CEO/ASIC etc) should fit the bill. I have nothing to back this up by the way but neither does the person asking for your hours to be certified.

I think there were some lads who got zero timed a while back after getting caught out faking twin time so it can happen.

Hmm, I don't think that anybody can 'zero time' you for hours you actually flew but getting done for falsifying your logbook would effectively accomplish the same ends within the industry. Of course, licences can be revoked if CASA can prove that you didn't have the requisite hours as required on your particular flight crew application. There was a rumour of this happening in Florida a while back and the two guys had their licences reviewed to the point that they were under suspension (FAA couldn't be sure that they had the aeronautical experience to have gained their CPLs) long enough to lose their jobs. [Beware the urban legends though as I have not read this story in over 10 years now.]

FRQ CB

aussie027
5th Jul 2012, 04:38
The old saying." Some people have a lot of Phantom hours in their logbooks,....but none of them have ever seen an F-4".
:E:E:E